2015 NFL Season

Darth Lohr

Whether Brady is exonerated due to idiots running the investigation or whether due to it actually being circumstantial, whether he stays at 4 games or reduced whatever (I suppose history shows that Goodell is dumb enough to double jeporady style extend a suspension after further review; see Rice)... an interesting hypothetical has presented itself; Brady's value. With a year under his belt young Jimmy Garoppolo is seemingly poised to play during Brady's absense. No one thought a player like Brady, at the time, could unseat a pro bowler like Bledsoe. Not saying Garoppolo has that level talent inside and we just haven't seen it, but anyone can have a hot hand for a stretch.

If Garoppolo plays well, where's that leave Brady? Fine?

Going on it'd be four games in would Belichick have the balls to flip a trade? Yes?

Would Kraft approve? This is the wildcard.

Would there be a market? Yes?

Would it be bigger as a next offseason move? Yes?

Would the Patriots be dumb? Remember they've lost two picks now.

Belichick is known for dealing with a player a year too soon rather than hold on to them. It's as hard a reality about Belichick as the correct view or perception of his constant mustache twirling. Brady is an old horse now, coming of an MVP Super Bowl without the suspension I couldn't even fathom a deal. However...

I'm a Bill Walsh disciple and that was his harsh philosophy. Better to let go of a player a year too soon than a year too late. Belichick obviously follows that mindset. Had Walsh still been in charge of the 49ers he'd have gotta rid of Montana too.

Speaking of Montana, he proved a 4 time SB winner could be discarded. And Manning proved last year that age catches up with everybody.

Personally though, I believe the Pats next franchise QB is still playing in college.

Speaking of Montana, he proved a 4 time SB winner could be discarded. And Manning proved last year that age catches up with everybody.

As to the first part: huh? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. If it's that he's replaceable, let's not forget that the 49ers already knew they had another great QB and could afford to deal Montana. By the time Joe was traded, Steve had already been the starter for the better part of two seasons, during which he had a sky-high QB rating, a QB/INT ratio of almost 3-to-1, and earned the MVP award. There was total security in knowing they'd be alright if they traded him - and trading him wasn't even their idea, it was his. If you mean he wasn't worth keeping, remember that by then he was 37 and still had a Pro Bowl season that year for the Chefs and led them to the playoffs in both of his seasons there.

As to your second point, see above. At 37 and 38, Joe was still better than many. From 38-40, Brett Favre was still capable of greatness when healthy. Yes, time does catch up with everyone eventually, but for some it takes longer than others and it doesn't appear to be on Brady's heels, yet. As for Peyton, overall he had another great year and, unless this year proves otherwise, I'm fully convinced that the problems he had were largely due to being hurt, rather than age catching up with him.

I meant that its not unthinkable for a team to let a 4 time SB winner go play for another team because its happened before. I was aware of the context of the Montana situation of course.

I agree that the Pats wouldn't get rid of Brady unless they kvew they were in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You just know Belicheck is pissed that no one on the Patriots thought of this hacking thing before the St. Louis Cardinals. I mean whats the point of having a "Legion of Cheating" that operates on a skull shaped island off of Cape Cod if they can't think of this stuff first?

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned this before but I just don't understand this kind of blind loyality. I love Robert Mathis. He's one of the greatest Colts players ever. But he ****ing cheated last year and got caught. Period. He deserved his four game suspension. It's totally possible to love a team and love a player and yet admit when they fucked up and then welcome them back into your heart. If I was a Pats fan that's how I would have handled this entire affair.

But the histrionics and taking it personally are why people dislike Pats fans in the first place. And they're doing it again here.

Tom Brady could have totally diffused this with a simple "my bad", but fighting this the way he has makes him look like the whiniest bitch to ever play the game. In fact he looks exactly like that gangly shirtless picture of him before he was drafted.

Basically he's still pissed about being a 6th round draft pick and even after all of his success he still wants to cry like a bitch when he's not universally respected.

If he were THAT worried about his legacy he should know that he's making things so much worse by fighting this. The reality is that the Pats are gonna be just fine without him for four games, so just shut up, take your medicine, and focus on football.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.