2015 NFL Season

Darth Lohr

That's another annoying thing about this. That is very specific language for a specific legal purpose and everybody is aware of that by now. The NFL standard of proof is "more probable than not." Period. So that's all Wells reached for. If the standard had been "beyond a reasonable doubt" then Wells would have aimed for that. People acting like he should have reached for more than required is like requiring teams to win by 10 points when all they need is one point.

Its Pats honks being cute with the language even though its been explained a millions times this week. People only hide behind intentional misunderstandings when they have no other hiding place.

I am well aware that the language is lifted directly from the rule book. I have read the rule book (it used to be posted in it's entirety, or seemingly thereof, on the NFL homepage prior to Spygate, it was removed when it's sections where being spat back in it's face by lawyer/fans) and I have also read the Wells Report. I believe I have a working understanding of the principles and wording displayed and have read more analysis pieces and opinion pieces in addition.

The NFL rules, in this type of infraction, only require suspicion of activity not proof. The Wells Report was never needed given the testing the NFL did themselves on the day (regardless of that also being a clusterfuck of chain of custody as the Wells Report acknowledges). Combined with complaints by Colts staff from the previous regular season meeting and the Ravens staff the playoff game before the NFL had all they needed for more probable than not. However due to media and other owner/executive pressure they created an enitre event over it, this is as political an event as a national convention. As Goodell's history shows, this is either his preferred method or he is utterly incompetent. This should have been handled following the game, prior to the Super Bowl and to appease media/public frenzy you give a six digit fine. Story is done.

Point taken. It could have also been defused that same week by Brady admitting his guilt. That happens, this media circus never transpires.

Also, you being well aware of why that language was used and yet still making the joke you did is why Pats fans are so disliked in general any why so many people take pleasure in every little mistake the Pats make. It comes across as arrogance. I don't believe you intend it that way, Torchie, but it comes across that way.

Your Brady admitting guilt point, making assumptions he is in fact guilty of illegal doctoring requests, is not logical. The texts that can be argued as culpability can be argued as legit demands for legal ball doctoring prior to being handed over to the refs. However that only matters if this was a legal case.

Regardless of "honks" :-) denials or insistences there was cause for suspicion with facts supporting some inaccurately inflated balls. This was all the NFL ever needed for punishment concerns.

As for my joke, the terms were used correctly displaying the comprehension of them by me, the user. To infer ignorance from that statement is an indicator of your own misunderstanding of what I wrote... which would be a twice fold occurance given the context.

For people to believe the Pats are innocent, they have to believe that a Pats employee had been going by the name "Deflator" for months and then ... much later ... the team is coincidentally accused of doing that very thing to the balls. Putting aside everything else, anybody who can rationalize that away is, by definition, a honk.

Their guilt is not even up for debate, and you know that yourself or you wouldn't have been cussing out Brady and your own team at the beginning of this conversation. The only debate now is what the punishment should be given the circumstances.

Prediction:

Garoppolo plays great first 4 weeks. In the offseason some team trades a 1st rounder for him. Garropolo never plays well again. Patriots use that 1st rounder to draft Brady's actual successor who becomes a HOFer.

I think it's fair as well. The pats are just a shady bunch and deserve to be called out for it.

I also think there's something fundamentally off about Brady. The chip on his shoulder over not being drafted probably explains it, but damn he's such a lying shitbag. I actually feel for him a bit when he retires because I think he's gonna lose it when he loses his ax to grind. The guy could win 10 Super Bowls and still be bitter over not being drafted.

It's bullshit.

The NFL's paid for investigation, The Wells Report, concludes the analysis of the data for tampering is uncertain as it requires assumption to reach a conclusion. The NFL punishes Brady and the Patriots as noted in part to Brady not turning over his private information, an action the Players Union and common sense and basic understanding of the law demanded be withheld.

I think it's fair as well. The pats are just a shady bunch and deserve to be called out for it.

I also think there's something fundamentally off about Brady. The chip on his shoulder over not being drafted probably explains it, but damn he's such a lying ****bag. I actually feel for him a bit when he retires because I think he's gonna lose it when he loses his ax to grind. The guy could win 10 Super Bowls and still be bitter over not being drafted.

He was drafted.

You keep harping on the NFL paying for the Wells report as if that fact alone makes it biased. So you're saying Wells ... already a rich man ... was always going to conclude whatever the NFL wanted for a few bucks? AFTER he blasted the NFL in his last report? That just doesn't track.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.