Board Games

monkeygirl

Does operation count as a board game?

I like the classics: Monopoly, Sorry, Checkers, Dominoes, STRATEGO, Battleship, & Scrabble. have to be in the mood for chess.

Stratego!! Love that game. I used to spend sooooo much time setting up my pieces that it got annoying. I was never 100% happy and the more I looked my pieces over, the more I would change them. Simple game to learn, with so much replay value because there are so many strategies to winning.

I enjoy casual chess, not that timed clock punching kind like in Searching for Bobbie Fisher.

Monopoly on the NES game console used to be one of my favorite games, and I got pretty good from that. I suppose that still counts as a board game.

Checkers is okay. There is actually basic strategy involved, but most times if I'm playing checkers I'm playing against people who have no idea and I usually own them. But it's only checkers.

I love board games!!!!

Stratego is great. Always used to play it with my dad. The thrill of somebody tapping on your mine without realising it and trying your best not to give it away!

We found a new game called 'Linkee' which is good. It's similar to trivial pursuit (also awesome) you are in teams with a separate question master who reads four questions from a card. All of the answers on each card are linked somehow so to win the card you need to guess the link. It involves both knowledge and lateral thinking so even if you know everything under the sun, if you can't put it together you won't win.

We've recently got a game called 'war on terror' which is hilarious. You play as states trying to stop terrorism but also take over the world (a bit like risk with added terrorists). However if you get knocked out you then get to play as the terrorists; or you can decide to become an evil empire and ally yourself with them from the beginning. Anybody who plays as an evil empire gas to wear a balaclava with EVIL stitched into it.

I got a game for Christmas called Ex Libris which we haven't played yet. It's like balderdash but with books. Each round one person takes a card which details a book title and its author. Everybody then writes down a fake version of the first or last line of the book, (determined by coin toss) with the person holding the card writing down the real first or last line. The aim is to correctly guess the real first or last lines of s book but also to get others to believe your fake line is the real one. Book knowledge and creative writing skills are required!

Plus cards against humanity is just a given.

• 4 weeks later...

I've learned a few new card games that I enjoy. Egyptian Ratscrew is easy enough to teach a child, and addictive fun. My friend taught me Cribbage a few weeks ago, and it was a blast. I really think I need more exposure to fully have it under my belt Having played it just once, I'm sure I'd forget a few of the minor nuances and more obscure rules. But it was great fun that required some thought, but it was still random enough that you didn't feel like an idiot if you couldn't put together a lot of points on a hand.

This might be cheating, but one of my all-time favorite Wii games was the "Hasbro Family Game Night" series. They made four of them ultimately, and I have all four. Most of them were not bought because I was working for EA at the time and occasionally got free games as an incentive. So while my cool colleagues were going with violent, shoot 'em up affairs, I was going with video board games. Between all the discs, I got games like Battleship, Sorry, Connect 4, Life, Scrabble, Yahtzee, Pictureka, Operation, Clue, Mousetrap, etc. Obviously, some games translated to the Wii better than others, and not all ported over very well. But some were just great-- I LOVED Scrabble. I also had Monopoly Streets on the Wii. The nice thing-- no mess to clean up when you're done.

I have some other board games that I've never even played-- Risk, Monopoly, and Trivial Pursuit (all LOTR versions). I also have a LOTR RPG style game that is sort of like strategic chess, and it was fun.

Checkers...I'm really good at but have bad memories associated with it. As a 10 year old, I'd play my grandmother (who was really good), but I'd beat her. And she would pout because she couldn't understand how a little freaking genius like me could beat her in a game that she beat practically everyone she played against. She made such a bad scene I haven't really played it ever since. And chess...I learned how to play this when I was in the hospital. I'm not very good. I played maybe 8 - 10 separate games, all against the same guy, and I lost every game. But in fairness, this guy didn't lose the entire time I was there, and he must have played 8 different people a total of 40 or more games. I came close to beating him once, so whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

Thunderstone: Its like Dominion (deck building game) except the idea is to slay monsters. Its as co-op or backstabby as you want to play it.

Munchkin....Duh.

Red Alert: Seriously, this is like the best day at work ever. Co-op. Make sure the ship doesn't blow up. You will be stressed and yell. Ita awesome.

Honestly, if ever you've been curious about a game, I am your girl. I own about a hundred games...

• 1 year later...

Bump!

My current game shelves:

I also have a couple of games that I've been working on, that I think I'm going to try to take to a convention this year.
I've also been playing King of Tokyo with my son. He's 4 and has some kid board games, but he's been wanting to play Dad's board games for a year, so I finally found one that we could play together with just some slight variations in the rules. The game doesn't really play well with two people, though, so he always wins.

I played one a few weeks ago called Betrayal at House on the Hill. It was pretty fun but we didn't get a chance to finish. You and the other players are exploring a house and at one point, one of you turns traitor and the rules kind of change. Only the traitor is aware of some of the new rules while the other players work together to defeat them. The cool thing is there's a lot of different scenarios, so the game can be different every time.

I've played Betrayal at House on the Hill a couple times. I really like the idea, but every time I've played it has been a big setup and then as soon as someone turns traitor, the game is over almost instantly.

Nice set up! I have a few that I see on your shelf as well. I realized now that I live far away from most of my friends that I don't own many of my favorites because my brother or friends already had them.

Smash Up is a current favorite since it works well with 3 or 4 players, which is our typical group size. My single local boardgame loving friend has Zombicide Black Plague, which is super cool and lots of fun.

I have played Betrayal a few times and enjoyed it each time, although we got the same ending 3 times and the third time just decided to pick a different one.

Have you played Forbidden Island? It has quickly become a favorite among my friends. A fairly quick cooperative game, so there's constant tension, unlike Pandemic, where I feel like there's no tension and then you find out you've lost. But designed by the same guy.

The Adventurers is also a really fun game with 3-4 people. Up to 6, I think.

Power Grid First Sparks is great as well. A little more in-depth. Splendor is also a fun game that doesn't require too much attention, so fun to play with a small group. Max size is 4.

We just learned Splendor a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. I'll need to check out Forbidden Island and the Adventurers. Thanks for the recommendations!

We used to play Power Grid a lot but that's one that moved away to California with my friend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.