Board Games

monkeygirl

So, do you play board games? Or games that are like board games?

Two of my recent faves aren't really board games but I LOVE them and what to know if you do, too?

SALAD BOWL: I learned this on the Girl Trip some years back. Teams of 2 compete-you keep your partner throughout the game.
the game is 3 rounds of guessing single words at a time. Everyone gets little pieces of paper. Somehow, the
group chooses a letter and everyone writes single words on the papers that start with that letter (same as he
number of persons playing). All the papers get tossed in a big salad bowl-hence-and you choose scraps and make
your partner say the word. First round-you can say or act anything out as long as you don't use the word.
Second round is like $10.000 pyramid-you can only say one word-no gesturing and the 3rd round is charades.
This is especially hilarious to play with someone who cannot talk without gesturing. Tommy got to play
this with us the year he visited the GT. The table was like 3/4 lesbians and the letter was S. Tommy chose SODOMY.
It was a hilarious fail.

LEFT, CENTER, RIGHT: Dice game you buy-special dice with star, L, R and dot on the sides. Game uses tokens, we use dollar
bills. Three rounds, you bring 3 ones. The more people that play, the more you can win. Each person rolls the
the number of dice that correspond to the number of bills they have-everyone starts rolling 3, if you only have
one dollar, you only roll one die. Money is directed by the dice to the person to your left, your right in the
center (star) to build the jackpot and a dot means you keep your money. You don't roll if you're broke but you
stay in the game in case someone rolls money to you. Last person alive with at least $1 wins the jackpot. We carry
them over so only one person wins the big one.

Even if you don't play now-were you the STAR of your family/friends at a certain game?

And finally-DO YOU CHEAT?

My family plays a vicious game of monopoly each reunion and yes there's rampant cheating/modification of standard rules. I didn't even know how to properly play the game until I was a teenager. It mostly involves a lot of literal "under the table" surprise business mergers and weird **** like that. I haven't personally participated though as I haven't been to a reunion really since reaching adulthood (they are every four years I think) and the age limit is strictly set to 18 and over.

This isn't a board game but like your stuff it's still a game! My friends and I played cross country spoons while at summer and winter retreat each year. Basically you play Spoons but instead of the spoons being on the table they were all the way across the camp grounds. There were a lot of injuries involved in that game and you really can't cheat.

Noah really likes board games. So we regularly play Sorry!, The Game of Life, Spider-man/Star Wars Monopoly, Blockus, Sequence for kids (we need to buy the grown-up version), Disney Pictopia, checkers, and, of course, chess.

We also all really like to play the card games Uno and Set.

At our family reunions we play dominoes. Mostly 42. That's the only time I really get to play because Trevor isn't a big domino guy. I should teach Noah how to play.

Katrina set up a great Cards Against Humanity game online the other day. That was a lot of fun!

I would basically be a hipster if I was cool enough, so I drink a lot of IPAs and play board games.

I'll break them up into categories:

Party Games:

• The Game of Things - fun, often starts out pretty tame and then quickly turns perverse. Only limit is your imagination.
  • Balderdash - Always fun, a classic

Word Games:

• Bananagrams, Appletters, Pears in Pairs - All pretty much the same type of game, all fun games that my wife enjoys
  • Scrabble - My wife loves it. I hate it.

Strategy Games:

This is my favorite genre, so I'm just going to mention a couple

• Settlers of Catan - This is the strategy game that everyone plays. Not my favorite game, and you can typically tell within the first three rounds who's going to win
  • Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - The best, most thematic strategy game I've played. I could play this game on a daily basis, but haven't had an opportunity since August.

Card Games:

• Poker - Only for money. I'm better than most of the people I play with, so I generally win. That helps me enjoy it. I frequently intentionally lose, though, so people don't hate playing against me.
  • Euchre - People get intense about this, even without money involved. Simple, fun.
  • Fluxx - Simple card game for kids and adults, but everyone I've played against has enjoyed it
  • Bang - Western-themed card game that involves trying to kill people.
  • Dominion - The granddaddy of my favorite genre of card games - the deck building game. Not collecting, like Magic, but building your deck from a centralized pool. Not my favorite of the genre (Resident Evil wins) but fun.

I award likes to Fozzie for knowing the difference between board, party and card games. TAMI YOU CANT CALL THE THREAD BOARD GAMES AND THEN NAME GAMES WITH NO BAORDS.

Also, points to Reese for Set, because that game is the most equally fun/infuriating game ever.

I ****ing LOVE SET!!!!

My 5th grade teacher had it and I would do nothing but play that game every chance I got. And I'd almost forgotten about it, but then spotted it at a booth of "educational" games at a home school conference and nearly came unglued.

I love board games! But no one I know ever wants to play them. :(

Favorites are Clue, Monopoly and Life but none of them hold a card to an old board game I inherited called Cloak & Dagger, based off of an old movie from the 80's! I kill at that game!

OMG YTOUI GUYS! You''re naming games I have never heard of I can't wait to try!!!

yeah-Seth-sorry_ thought about that. HOW DO I CHANGE THE TITLE?

I award likes to Fozzie just because of sheer VOLUJME

I've never learned to play chess-have always liked watching others play.

I'd like to have filmed some of Jaycie's family's games of cut-throat Monopoly. I LOVE families/people who take games SRSLY. LOVE.

Simple as it is, I still adore Chutes & Ladders. Still like a good game of Backgammon, too and have always wanted to learn Mah Jongg just because I love the tiles.

I also played a game called Pandemic last night, which involves trying to stop diseases from spreading. It's a co-operative game, and can be pretty stressful and easy to lose. But I'm awesome so we won.

So, I don't play a lot of board games. I did play DnD a lot in high school.

If I would be pressed for a board game it is Scrabble.

Mostly we play card games.

I love Apples to Apples or Grace - which is similar to Gin Rummy but you play in large groups.

I want to play that some day, but I don't want to own it.

Another one put out by the same people who did Axis and Allies was called Fortress America. A product of mid 1980s cold war paranoia to be sure, the game featured an invasion of the US from the Soviet bloc along the east coast, the Chinese/North Koreans along the west coast and a loose alliance of revolutionary Latin American governments from the south.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Does operation count as a board game?

I like the classics: Monopoly, Sorry, Checkers, Dominoes, Stratego, Battleship, & Scrabble. have to be in the mood for chess.

I ****ing LOVE SET!!!!

???

Are you a Set worshiper?

I should take a pic of our games. The area is messy because we still haven't gotten our act together after moving, but who cares?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.