Stevil

Has anyone seen this yet?

No matter what you think of the franchise that has to be one of the best endings ever.

I've watched the series 1-6 recently with the good lady having never seen them and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the films. And tonight we went the cinema to watch the seventh installment. Let me start off by saying it's ****ing ridiculous. But I've come to expect that from these movies. The franchise has evolved over time and it's become something it wasn't when it began. It started out in 1 as an undercover cop story set in the underground racing world. But now the films resemble something crossed between The Expendables and Oceans 11.

Furious 7 has broken box office records and is currently the highest grossing film for Universal ever. It's rumoured to be slated for another 3 films already. But that ending man... oh my goodness it was special.

RIP Paul Walker.

I actually like the series. The ending was touching. It just makes me wonder how they go on without Walker. I guess they said we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I was wondering the same afterwards.

It will be difficult to go without explaining Brian's absence. Just how do you do that without killing him off? And if you do kill him off, it will tarnish the ending of 7.

Nah man they did something even better. They gave him a happy ending. There's a really touching scene where Brian and the team are on the beach with his family playing in the sand. It was shot after his death and the team are so visibly emtional. Then Dominic drives away and a montage plays of all Brian's moments from the films. Dominic has a bit of a monologue and stops at a stop sign only for Brian to catch him up and then they race one last time before Brian takes a fork in the road and drives off in to the sunset.

I totally wasn't expecting this at all, but it was beautifully written and acted. They could have just killed him off in some daft heroic way, but instead they made sure he lived happily ever after with his family.

It does rock indeed. It was very brave writing I think and a fitting tribute to the actor.

The running theme of the series is Family. And to finish his story off in such a way was just first class. Paul Walker's two brothers both helped play him in the movie as well with the help of CGI and some very clever use of dialogue/footage from the previous films. They also provided his voice in some segments. Again... Family.

It was really well done and, that ending was such a pleasant surprise. It was more emotional than just the character dying. It must have been special for the Walker family too.

I just hope they don't forget what drove the series. The cars and the racing. Street racing. The last two movies they have gone so over the top with the cars taking down planes, parachuting from planes, jumping from building to building, I can see where some of the criticism comes from.

I referred to that in my original post metro. It's become something else entirely now. The films have to outdo the last one in terms of stunts and ridiculousness.

In their defence: They couldn't keep making the same film over and over cos it just wouldn't last.

But as an entertainment film it's right up there for me. Spectacular on the big screen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.