The Alien Quadrilogy

Driver

Guest El Chalupacabra

After Chappie everyone has gotten really quiet about that.

So that movie is bust, then? Just as well, since it sounded like they were going to ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection, and make a direct sequel to Aliens. That is Superman Returns thinking there.

• 2 months later...

Alien:

- I'm not a huge fan of "special editions" where narrative changes and over the top CG set pieces are added-- but this movie could use an FX clean up. The exterior space shots, the very 70s computer displays, the matte painting comps, the explosion at the end, and the previously mentioned dude-in-suit shots could use a modern touch up.

^ George Lucas says the direct deposit was successful.

Seriously, I prefer the 70s displays, etc in Alien, as it actually helped Aliens design changes, since the sequel was set nearly a century later, and did not risk a design continuity issue. I think film to film modifications (when taking place in the same, general period of time) are glaring when the in-universe function of a device or vehicle makes too big a change, e.g. the Falcon moving like a heavy truck in ANH, only to go into barrel roll / frisbee mode in ESB.

• 2 months later...

- Okay, I am THAT GUY, who, on this site especially, will always argue in favor of Alien being better than Aliens. People LOVE to argue about this. All things created equal, Aliens diverged from the idea of a scifi horror movie to becoming a dark scifi action movie. It had suspense and jump scares sure-- but no real actual terror. A sequel not honoring the basic tropes of the original rubs me the wrong way.

- THAT SAID, rewatching Aliens for the first time in years does make a few things clear: as a kid, I saw this movie first, and it is up there with Star Wars and Blade Runner as one of those movies that super-fueled my imagination by creating a rich, totally believable world. It's also a better crafted movie than the original that looks dynamic and has some pretty groundbreaking FX that hold up today. I like to poo poo it in arguments about the franchise, but the truth is, on a level playing field, this is an incredibly well-made movie, possibly Cameron's best.

On one hand, I understand the resistance to a sequel that isn't in the same genre as the original. However, in this case I thought it made a lot of sense. Alien was a franchise that needed to be pushed forward in order to not become derivative of itself. The whole trapped on a ship with a monster thing will immediately have diminishing returns. Even if it might sound like a lazy Hollywoodization, Cameron was right to alter the genre into a more traditional Hollywood action direction. It successfully expanded the audience and the possibilities of the franchise and is the reason that the franchise still has power after all this time and after so much mismanagement. If it were the first movie of the series, it would probably be remembered just about as well as it currently is (say somewhere around Predator on the nostalgia scale).

That said, Alien is clearly the better film for my money. Of the monster movie sub-genre, only Jaws stands above it with a pretty steep drop-off behind them. And there aren't many in the greater horror genre that are on its level (Psycho, if it qualifies, and The Exorcist are the only ones that are clearly superior).

A better question, to me, is which movie was Ripley herself better portrayed? For that, I would actually go with Aliens. While Alien created her character, I believe that her position in the discussion of great heroines in film history comes more from Aliens. So that's a huge boost in the sequel's favor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.