Fuller House

Darth Ender

• 10 months later...

I heard the reviews were terrible--as in epic terrible.

I was doing some work tonight and I put it on for background noise. After cringing through the first episode, I started to like it. I like it a lot. There was a lot more adult humor than I thought (the plumber/ date mix-up) there would be. I still can't stand Joey and Kimmie. Jesse and Danny are great. Perfect parts cheese, camp, nostalgia. Anyone else watch it?

I'm mesmerized by how young John Stamos and Lori Loughlin look. You'd think 5 years had gone by for them, not 20.

Anyway, I'm afraid I bailed after the first 10 minutes. All of which was a series of someone showing up and the audience applauding. You can get away with it for a bit, but do Jesse and Rebecca's twin boys really merit a walk-in applause? I wonder if they were trying to chase people away.

I'm not super-shocked it gets better though. The cast remains very talented and Full House is, for better or worse, their legacy. They wouldn't waste their time on something that's just an embarrassing cash-in.

• 3 weeks later...

What does that even mean? People will love critics more if they convince them to hate a movie that's actually good? ... What?

In some cases, sure. To take an extreme example, you think the Angry Video Game Nerd really hates those games as much as he says? Then you get guys like The Nostalgia Critic who started off following that formula, and seeing the limitations after they established themselves, pivoted into being more respectable and even mannered in their reviews.

What I'm really saying is that the review itself is a product. The above are internet examples which show it in the extreme, but even mainstream reviewers have the same pressures. And they want above all, for people to read/watch them, to be influential, and to stay gainfully employed. The critic's reputation is important, so they may be less willing to fully blast a popular bad movie, or embrace one that everyone else agrees is terrible. They may write the review to be more entertaining rather than strictly objective. Easier targets, like Fuller House, are safe to do that with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.