The Force Awakens exhibit

Mara Jade Skywalker

I was lucky enough to see The Force Awakens exhibit at Celebration Anaheim this past weekend. Here's a link to the album on Flickr, and I'm posting some highlights below.

Resistance X-Wing fighter sign:

17051148160_564839e74d.jpg

Resistance X-Wing:

17238109241_0c51572c6f.jpg

Kylo Ren's lightsaber hilt:

17051195230_41876193b1.jpg

Kylo Ren's costume:

17050883988_77bd1389a4.jpg

First Order Snowtrooper and Flametrooper:

16618436233_d7dc5af22c.jpg

Rey's costume:

17052409409_baf9bc2f87.jpg

My stock broker is a she, thank you very much.

Seriously, though, what's the importance of canon now? If anything, it's less important, since before there were several levels of canonicity, and details could be promoted or demoted, and some kind of emotional response to changing status was understandable. But now? Canon doesn't mean anything anymore, does it?

Great pictures Mara, thanks for sharing!!

Incom has been canon for a while as it's appeared in the official star wars games as far as I know. As far back as the first rogue squadron game you were flying the Incom T-65 Interceptor.

Thanks! I wish the lighting wasn't so dark in that exhibit. One of the Del Rey editors told me they took Alan Dean Foster into the exhibit before the show opened and kept the regular lights on so he could get a good look at everything. i was so jealous.

I'm putting this Story Group discussion under a cut because it's not relevant to the topic.

Yes, Incom was included in those games, but those aren't considered canon any longer.

pavonis, I know you're smart, so this shouldn't be difficult to understand. Anything approved by or produced under the Story Group is considered "canon," aka part of one big Star Wars story. Anything that is considered "Legends" (i.e. the Expanded Universe published before September 2014) being promoted to "canon" through inclusion in a current story does get me excited, because I like (some of) those books and the worldbuilding and would like to see those things stay a part of the Star Wars story. I realize you don't understand these sorts of feelings and probably consider me a huge nerd for it, and that's okay. I don't mind. I am a huge nerd.

I still enjoy Legends stories, and will continue to read them whenever I feel like it, and continue to encourage people to read them right along with novels being produced under the Story Group.

Anyway, very good photos. I wonder whether the X-wing and the Falcon are in scale to each other. Any information on that?

Well, thank you for responding Mara. So, your level of enjoyment of the SW universe is tied to the Story Group's decisions. I do not understand why, but I suppose that's not something that can be easily articulated.

There wasn't anything about scale, but I'm guessing the newer X-wing is about the same size as the older ones.

So, your level of enjoyment of the SW universe is tied to the Story Group's decisions.

...No? I mean, yeah, if they say "Mara Jade is now canon" I'll be ecstatic, but she's still my favorite EU character regardless of being "Legends" or not. I don't enjoy something more just because it's elevated to canon status, but it does make me excited.

I feel like before the EU was the EU it was considered canon too. Basically, whatever is currently being marketed, is canon, and in a decade, it will be trodden all over. No one cares about canon outside of fandom, the only reason a distinction is being so heavily touted now is because they are making a new movie that ignored the EU so they had to say SOMETHING.

And I still don't buy that the "story-group" has the power to tell the film division what they can or can't do. No way we make it through 3 episodes and 3 anthology films without some part of the print continuity being messed up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.