One of the original X-Men just switched teams

CoLA

Seriously the only issue I may have with this is that it looks like a story where someone is told they are gay and so they are. It's like Kline's In & Out. You have all the peripheral checklist marked off, you're gay! Of course this X-Men story is just birthing so it could be grand, but In & Out's might be a better statement if the character wasn't gay. Anyway. My only thought, probably a silly one.

Flame on! ;-)

I'm surprised they haven't done this sooner. The mutant thing has always been a metaphor for homosexuality. It's also a great way to get some cheap press by being all progressive and stuff.

For reals. The X-Men 3 mutant vaccine always struck me as a giant metaphor for a gay vaccine. I think there would be some people that would choose not to be. Others would be more comfortable in saying, "This is what I am."

My contribution is that I saw it in the headlines and was kind of meh. I get what Tank is saying in that this is sort of what X-Men is all about. I also just don't see it as needing to be a huge deal, either. It just is. (But yes, execution is slightly awkward and maybe a little cliche.)

The posted pages seem a little unsettling to me.

How is it an issue that he's gay, but not an issue that someone is reading his mind to get details about his sexuality? No wonder the world hates mutants. If they're going to burrow into your private thoughts they should all be burned at the stake.

My contribution is that I saw it in the headlines and was kind of meh.

i think that mirrors the feelings of just about everybody who isnt super invested in a specific vision of the character or politically hypercharged

there have been very few tantrums from trogs rationalizing their homophobia by complaining about 'pc police/shoehorning' no happy sappy tears of validation

for me personally this lack of reaction kind of sucks because the people who get super worked up about this kind of thing are a never ending source of amusement

but for society and art getting to a point where nobody important cares that ice man is now more than just metaphorically gay is a pretty good thing so i got no complaints

Cue conservatives being mad because GAY.

Cue comic fans being mad because CHANGE.

Cue conservative comic fans who don't want to admit they don't like the gay saying that Marvel should make a NEW gay character and not change an existing one.

Cue Bendis haters saying they LIKE it-- but not the way he did it.

Cue Marvel not giving a crap.

Cue the uber continuity nerds pointing out this is technically young time-displaced Iceman from the 616 and he may not exist in a few weeks after Secret Wars anyway.

Cue gay fans pointing out that adult Iceman is totally straight so the story is implying it is a choice, not genetic.

Cue me pointing out to anyone with a problem that I don't think they really understand what the X-Men are about.

Cue no one giving a crap, no matter how much Marvel thinks it is some earth-rocking event to be exploited in the media.

like most intelligent money making entities marvel thinks anything and everything is to be exploited in the media

so really if you are getting riled over the idea of them exploiting icy gayness and not 5000000000 other things it says more about you than it does them

No, it means everything is not worth or even necessary to exploit, as it--in reference to your $ point--has no bottom line benefit. The reason it has no bottom line benefit is just as I mentioned earlier: no one gives a crap, particularly when companies pus$y out by playing it safe with (more often than not) C-list (or lower) characters.

They want to make a statement? Then do that with Spider-Man, Batman or Captain America, not characters who (ultimately) do not mean two craps to the mainstream audience or the bottom-line ancillary market.

...and a few supporters or dissenters in social media means little

Who knows what the status quo after Secret War will be anyway...

Yeah. That´s the elephant in the room for every "shocking" Marvel development right now. It can always be returned to the old way after The Big Crossover.

I´m mostly upset because this run of X-Men has art like a kid version.

justus i honestly had no clue iceman being outed by brain rape was a form of pussying out
but it makes perfect sense now
sorry

Oh, please. The brain rape thing has nothing to do with Marvel's reason for the plot, or why anyone else is discussing it.

By the way, you were the one attempting to counter my exploitation post with "like most intelligent money making entities marvel thinks anything and everything is to be exploited in the media" So if you believe that in relation to this topic, then the best way to make more money is to exploit the largest assets, not C-listers the audience could not name at gunpoint.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.