Women in Star Wars

DANA-kin Skywalker

That makes sense. I've never actually looked that closely at the LEGO Friends stuff. I'm generally too busy trying to convince Trevor that he doesn't really need a $100 Imperial Star Destroyer and telling Noah he doesn't have enough money to buy the LEGO pirate ship. But yeah, they're just doll substitutes.

My Little Pony has a HUGE male following. So that might happen.

My daughter has LEGO and princess LEGO. She doesn't care they're different. My sons have LEGO and princess LEGO, they also don't care they are different. My daughter has girl Superhero t-shirts and boy geeky shirts too. My boys only have interest in boy t-shirts. All of this could be because I don't care and so that filters down, or it could just be that kids like what they like and maybe a lot of the reported fuss comes from parents (whether due to Conform to Norms POV or Unisex Demand POV). Sometimes I think we worry too much, that it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't sitch.

If you like something, buy it. If your kids like something, buy it. You are not required to rinse and repeat when you wash your hair, a marketing campaign isn't a societal law or limitation on you unless you give it that power.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really thought about it much until this thread popped up. As I watched Return of the Jedi, I noticed something about this subject of women in Star Wars. In the scene where the heroes encounter the scout troopers on Endor and then chase after them to keep them from notifying the Empire that the Rebels have infiltrated, each of the heroes gets a crack at a trooper. Han beats the crap out of his. Chewie blows his away even though the trooper is already a mile away speeding away on his bike. Luke kills his by deflecting the bolts with his saber and cutting off the front of the bike to make the trooper crash into a tree. And Leia...well, Leia falls off her bike, the trooper crashes into a tree because he was looking back at her, and then she faints.

Yeah but there was still plenty of bad writing.

It was pretty clear Lucas had no idea how to write a woman much less make her a strong character. Some of the portrayals of Leia in early Star Wars drafts are outright sexist.

I know this was mentioned before, but Padme and Leia both need to be rescued and taken care of in each film of heir respective trilogies.

Yeah, I mean, Leia has a way better portrayal and character arc than Padme, but she's kind of thrown off to the side in Jedi. Even though Vader is also her father and she can also use the Force.

One of the many many many reasons I hope Rey has the hero's journey in The Force Awakens.

Looks like she's got top billing!!

Personally.. as I've already mentioned I have two daughters. I'm hoping for Rey to be a big thing for my eldest, She loves the MCU films and I've taken her to see them all once we catched up on DVD. Her favourite Avenger is Black Widow. As much as I like that character, I'm really hoping for a genuine heroine in Star Wars 7 for her to root for as a main character. At nearly 14 she's at a impressionable age and I really want her to see the right role models growing up.

Again, from my point of view, I'd really like to see this new trilogy focus on Rey and her journey amongst others to inspire a new generation of female fans.

I never really thought about it much until this thread popped up. As I watched Return of the Jedi, I noticed something about this subject of women in Star Wars. In the scene where the heroes encounter the scout troopers on Endor and then chase after them to keep them from notifying the Empire that the Rebels have infiltrated, each of the heroes gets a crack at a trooper. Han beats the crap out of his. Chewie blows his away even though the trooper is already a mile away speeding away on his bike. Luke kills his by deflecting the bolts with his saber and cutting off the front of the bike to make the trooper crash into a tree. And Leia...well, Leia falls off her bike, the trooper crashes into a tree because he was looking back at her, and then she faints.

Heh...

To be clear, Han was knocked on his ass for creaking up behind the trooper, so he was not exactly painted in the best light. Only Chewbacca and Luke come off looking good, so Leia is not on the losing end alone. Besides that, earlier in the film, she strangled the biggest crime lord in the galaxy. None of the male characters have that major notch on the belt.

Yeah, I just never noticed until now how Leia was the only one who didn't take care of her trooper. He shoots her off her bike and she faints. If the moron doesn't crash on his own after nearly killing her, the whole elaborate surprise attack the Rebel Alliance had planned would've gone up in smoke. Each of the other heroes made sure to prevent their trooper counterpart did not alert the Imperials. Leia just got lucky hers was an idiot.

There's so much speculation do I we have to spoiler tag things if it's an unconfirmed rumor, such as who Rey is or her backstory?

How could speculations and rumors possibly be spoilers? Spoilers are confirmed plot details and character information, not Internet gossip.

Rumors are spoilers.

Speculation is not.

Speculation based on 'that thing I read somewhere' is a spoiler.

Unless something has been officially confirmed by Disney then I'd say it's a spoiler.

Personally, I think it's courtesy to put anything you even think might be a spoiler in the spoiler box and throw in a "hey this is the general thing is about" before/after it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.