New Republic, First Order, Resistance

The Choc

Guest El Chalupacabra

Would anybody be shocked if they did away with the opening crawl? We're assuming it will be there but maybe anything goes?

I would be. Episode 7 probably needs a crawl more than any other Star Wars movie, considering the 30 year gap since ROTJ.

It was episode 7 in filming and in the crawl, they just aren't including it in the title for marketing like the PT did. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Anthology films did away with the crawl.

I'd be surprised if the spin off Star Wars movies don't have a crawl, either. But I wouldn't expect Episode {X} in the title, or anything like that. Even a lot of the games have crawls. It just wouldn't feel like Star Wars without one.

Did the Clone Wars movie have a crawl? Asking cause I don't remember the movie at all, just the series, which didn't have it.

I would actually prefer if the Anthology movies didn't have the crawl. I think they should save it for the main episodes/movies. The crawl might not fit stylistically into some of the spin-offs they want to make.

I agree ... the sacred cow mentality was one of the problems with the PT (for instance the droids being shoehorned in for no other reason than they have to be in all the movies). you really need to approach it like anything goes to give yourself maximum creative freedom

That word is getting shoehorned into a lot of posts.

But I can't imagine that the crawl won't be part of it. Most of the people involved in these grew up watching Star Wars, and the crawl is one of the most iconic things in Star Wars.

Fine I'll make the exact same point without the word shoehorn.

I agree ... the sacred cow mentality was one of the problems with the PT (for instance the droids being forced into it for no other reason than they have to be in all the movies). you really need to approach it like anything goes to give yourself maximum creative freedom

Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels do not have a craw. I see nothing different to those and Rogue One with it being a stand alone. It would break from the story line of the next trilogy if it did not have a craw with the first 6 having one. Why is this even a issue?

*looks around*

Oh... never mind.

last time I checked 90% of movies manage to set up their story without an introductory text, and they don't even have the most famous franchise ever behind them

And if all the other movies decided to jump off a bridge, Star Wars anthologies should jump off the bridge, too? G-d, didn't you learn anything about ignoring peer pressure??

That gave me an idea. I think I should have the 20th Century Fox fanfare pulled up on my phone and blast it in the theatre at least once before the movie starts.

This would be a midnight showing, obviously, because those are the people who would appreciate such a gesture.

• 2 months later...

I'm waiting on the names (resistance, first order, etc.) to hear more. First Order sounds legit to me, and like a special wing of stormtroopers (like an SS Nazi soldier). Resistance sounds weird (why wouldn't they just keep the name rebels?), but maybe there will be a good reason. New Republic sounds correct and really the only name the rebels would call themselves once they had won the war.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.