New Trailer!

Driver

I'm sure the mask was inspired by this video game character and they'll probably admit it in a panel at some point. But if its not, i will say this as a writer ... sometimes you can pluck things from memory and not be aware of their origin. I'm sure that's true for artists too.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm sure the mask was inspired by this video game character and they'll probably admit it in a panel at some point. But if its not, i will say this as a writer ... sometimes you can pluck things from memory and not be aware of their origin. I'm sure that's true for artists too.

Maybe that is the case, or maybe its a case where unused concepts from years back inspired both designs. But since a lot of Star Wars masks are at least partially inspired by historical ones (IE Vader is inspired by a samurai, Fett is inspired by a Spartan helmet), maybe both are inspired by similar historical influences.

I honestly don't see the resemblance. Revan, to me, looks far more Mandalorian or Crimson Guard.

The mask is different, sure, but I think they look close. Add the cloak, and the resemblance is more clear, to me at least. And as to Revan resembling a mando, in the comic adaptations, Revan's mask actually is a Mandalorian mask, taken from a Mandalore he defeated in battle.

Side Note: I adore Revan and everything she was in that game. It was the first Star Wars game I played that made me feel like I did first seeing the movies. And while the companions are common archetypes, filling in for the heroes we know from the films, I think they're awesome.

Bastila and Carth are the only characters I have ever even remotely had an inkling to fanfic. Yeah. That type. I loved their performances so much that when Mass Effect came out I fixated solely on FemShep because she is Bastila and Carth is Kaiden. LOL

Why is that in question? So what was this stuff about character back story if nobody even knows what gender it is?

That was the M.Night before M.Night like reveal of the game.

Revan was the player character. You were the Protag and Antag. She could be a he. He could be a she. Just depended on what you created when you started the game. Basically the game writer's figured out how to hit the audience with a Vader is Luke's father reveal in a creative way.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Why is that in question? So what was this stuff about character back story if nobody even knows what gender it is?

In the game, you can play the character as male or female, but in the novelization (written by the guy who wrote the story for the game) and the EU "canon" is that Revan is male.

Torchie's comments are basically meaning he played the game as a female character, and that is his personal canon.

KOTOR is a phenomenal game. Gameplay is great and story is awesome. If you have a computer that can run it, pick it up for 10 bucks online and give it a go. It's really cool.

Torch is probably confusing Revan and the Jedi Exile's (from KOTOR2) gender. I remembered Revan being female too, but I switched them as well.

You can't really claim that the cloak brings about a resemblance being that pretty much every Sith we've seen wears some kind of black cloak or cape. From what I've read, Rens mask is based on the early concept art for Vader's mask. Which it does look like.

I'll bet anything the "Chewie, we're home" line comes after they step on the Falcon for the first time in years.

It would be funny if that was the last scene in the movie...and we'd not seen Han and Chewie at all until then.

Funny...or it would inspire some nerd to flood boards like this one with a "shoulda" fan script while predicting doom for the rest of the series.

...not like we have not experienced that before.

Guest El Chalupacabra

You can't really claim that the cloak brings about a resemblance being that pretty much every Sith we've seen wears some kind of black cloak or cape. From what I've read, Rens mask is based on the early concept art for Vader's mask. Which it does look like.

Well, if you don't see the resemblance between Kylo Ren and Revan, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's relative, but I surely see it.

It's pretty much the same dude. I'd approve if they even took part of Revan's background story/origin for this new character. Revan was such a cool character I wouldn't mind a bit if they appropriated all of his story for this new Star Wars simply so it can be considered Canon. I mean I doubt they will, but how he was a Jedi hero, went out into the outer reaches of space and came back a dark lord of the Sith is a cool story. And could be applied to the new big bad

There is the eye slit and the general shape of the long metal mask. After that not much more so... no.

- Seth robes are different style. one is a cape with a hood the other robes

- coloring of the mask is different

- Style of the lower part of the mask is different

- shape of forehead area is different

- armor around the neck is way different

- chest plat different

- hands are different

- sword way different

This is like saying that the B-52 and the F-16 are the same. Just look at them, the both have wings and fly.

There is the eye slit and the general shape of the long metal mask. After that not much more so... no.

- Seth robes are different style. one is a cape with a hood the other robes

- coloring of the mask is different

- Style of the lower part of the mask is different

- shape of forehead area is different

- armor around the neck is way different

- chest plat different

- hands are different

- sword way different

This is like saying that the B-52 and the F-16 are the same. Just look at them, the both have wings and fly.

That is just nit picking minor surface details which are specificities that don't really matter in changing the character of a drawing/design. If a concept team were to look at those two images they could easily assume that they were two different design versions of the same character with slightly different surface details for whatever aesthetic reason. All the important design stuff.. Size, proportion, overall-look, they're pretty similar characters.. Would go so far as to say different versions of the same character.

Many modern day games have as much or more story and emotion than films. In this instance we're talking about Bioware, a company that is renown for turning simplistic hero's journies into wonderful character pieces.

Their quality is supported, not just by sales and awards, but by production and the name actors they are consistently able to hire to bring their characters to life. eg. Martin Sheen, Lance Hendrikson, Ed Asner, Keith David, Kate Mulgrew.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.