New Trailer!

Driver

Guest El Chalupacabra

The only.. and I mean ONLY thing that gives me pause is that this lends a bit of credence to the whole lightsaber and hand in space rumor. I really hope that there is some bit of truth to it-- but the details are the result of a game of telephone. That is 100% Anakin's second saber/Luke's first that was lost on Bespin that's being handed off.

The rest of it-- holy cow. I got giddy.

The melted Vader mask immediately made me think of the one in the concept art in this link:

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/10/15/leaked-star-wars-episode-vii-art/

I also question who's metal hand that was on R2D2. I assumed it was Luke at first, but could it also be the cyborg in the concept art?

Also.. when Luke is giving his monolog. He says "My father HAS it..." Present tense....

Isn't that just the ROTJ dialogue with Leia at the Ewok village?

Not quite-- in ROTJ he says "My father has it... I have it.. My SISTER has it..." and he's talking to Leia. No "You have it too" is needed.

Yeah, I thought the monologue was lifted from ROTJ too, until the you have it too part. I am wondering if that is either a recent monologue, or maybe an unused out take from ROTJ.

In any event, the present tense of Luke referring to his "Father "HAS IT" (the force), is IMHO either an intentional misdirection, or simply something that indicates they lifted the monologue from ROTJ. Anakin\Vader is dead, so unless Luke is referring to a force ghost (I guess its possible, and they may try to shoe horn in HC..I hope not though), it doesn't make sense.

*Another comment: Rey (the Daisy Ridley character) visually looks like Jan Ors from the Dark Forces\Jedi Knight games, and Kylo Ren looks like Darth Revan from the KOTOR games. I wonder if that was done on purpose, or coincidence.

**Yet another question\comment: Is "Kylo" a first name, or a title like Darth? Could Ren be an allusion to "renegade," sort of like Sidious is to insidious, or Vader is to invader, etc?

"You have that power too" is from Return of the Jedi. The lines are just rearranged.

"You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time, you will learn to use it as I have." ... "The force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and my sister has it. Yes, it's you, Leia."

At Mark Hamill's panel tonight (which I sadly didn't get into, but it was streamed and I had a friend there who tweeted) he said the voiceover is a combination of the RotJ takes and a new recording which he did last week. They combined the two to create the reverb effect. That's why he says "my father has it," because they took the line directly from Jedi.

For me, the most exciting thing about the trailer is the battle on what appears to be a hangar deck. Those ships look REAL- nothing like the strange CGI dreams of The Return of the Sith.

so excite all around, tho.

I don't think many people would be able to pick out a CGI element in a shot like that these days; they might look like part of a physical set, but they might not be

That wasn't recycled dialogue. That was Mark Hamill saying it anew.

No way. That was totally 30 year old Hamill. Right? Right...?

The voiceover has like a weird echo effect to part of it too. It doesn't sound exactly like Luke in ROTJ but it could be post production. I don't see him saying the exact same lines in this movie.

I was at Star Wars Celebration VII this past weekend in Anaheim. During Mark Hamill's panel, Mark confirmed this is the dialogue from ROTJ, but in order to get that echo-y breathy effect, Lucasfilm recorded him saying it over again and then they edited it together right over the old ROTJ dialogue. That's what we hear play in the trailer.

The only.. and I mean ONLY thing that gives me pause is that this lends a bit of credence to the whole lightsaber and hand in space rumor. I really hope that there is some bit of truth to it-- but the details are the result of a game of telephone. That is 100% Anakin's second saber/Luke's first that was lost on Bespin that's being handed off.

The rest of it-- holy cow. I got giddy.

Also.. when Luke is giving his monolog. He says "My father HAS it..." Present tense....

Weren't all those words, albeit not in the same order, from his conversation with Leia in ROTJ?

What the hell do they make those spaceships out of in the galaxy far, far away, that they can crash nearly intact? I'd typically expect something as big as a Star Destroyer to be smashed to pieces before it hit the ground! And that X-wing, also mostly intact, rather than scattered over the whole of the desert?? They must be made of unobtainium.

What the hell do they make those spaceships out of in the galaxy far, far away, that they can crash nearly intact? I'd typically expect something as big as a Star Destroyer to be smashed to pieces before it hit the ground! And that X-wing, also mostly intact, rather than scattered over the whole of the desert?? They must be made of unobtainium.

Unobtanium-plated midichlorians, presumably.

Deanna Troi piloted the Enterprise-D as it crashed into a planet in TNG's first movie. I didn't just reference her as a joke; Some people, including Marina Sirtis, knock jokingly or otherwise this moment because in a classic sexist way a women crashes a vehicle. Flip the script. Did Troi crash the ship or did she pilot it heroically, expertly even, to allow a soft landing as the ship crashed? Anyway. Picked that drop intentionally to say that. Problems we struggle against are real, some problems can be resolved by choosing to not be offended.

My son's first video experience with Star Wars was this trailer. He clapped at the end.

That's brave of you to show him since you'd have had to kick him out if he didn't clap

If you're old enough to cry for a snack 20 minutes after breakfast, you're old enough to watch the Star Wars trailer while I try to distract you.

LOL, my co-workers and I were talking about how the only thing left should be a crater.

I'll bet anything the "Chewie, we're home" line comes after they step on the Falcon for the first time in years.

It would be funny if that was the last scene in the movie...and we'd not seen Han and Chewie at all until then.

That would be break the internet hilarious.

LOL, my co-workers and I were talking about how the only thing left should be a crater.

That's based on it being a crash from space. It easily could have been a controlled descent without the ability to fully land. Something a little better than Anakin landing the ship in RotS.

But Star Wars has never worried about being scientifically accurate, thankfully.

OK, yeah, the Star Destroyer could've been in hover mode above or near a target, and fallen intact. But that X-wing would've smashed to pieces! They don't hover while in combat, and their kinetic energy has to be distributed somewhere! I don't care what genre SW is, physics is physics!

I wonder if anyone on Jakku has settled into the crashed Star Destroyer. They're huge, and surely someone would take up residence there. A whole town, in fact. I also wonder why the Empire - excuse me, First Order - didn't retrieve it. It looks damn near intact, ready to shake off some dunes and go to orbit. Maybe all it needs is a jump start.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.