New Trailer!

Driver

And who is the chrometrooper?

I get a real Boba Fett type badass vibe from the Chrome Trooper. I really hope it's a one-off type thing and there isn't a whole division of these guys.

I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum because I wish at this point I didn't know, but that's Gwendoline Christie's character.
Great. A black and a chick stormtrooper? That damn Obama!

Damn, four pages already! I'm gone from the Internet for a few days . . .

I'm sure all of you know what level of interest I have in this new universe. However, I won't lie: the scene with Han and Chewie brought a smile to my face.

You're not interested in the new films?

AOTC introduced a hand-held element that I felt was totally wrong and seemed incredibly out of place. ROTS seemed to strike a balance, but by then it was too late to care.

I can't remember where I saw or read this, but Lucas was really heavily influenced by his BFF Spielberg with that sort of thing. He loved the psuedo-documentary style of Saving Private Ryan and really wanted to incorporate some of it into a big ground based battle. It was a cool idea in theory, but it just didn't really work with the CG-palooza that was the prequels.

JJ and his DP's seem to strike a really good balance in their stuff. They're super dynamic when they can get away with it, but are smart enough to be subdued when necessary. That shot in the first Star Trek that showed how the Enterprise didn't necessarily have to exist on a 2D plane was such a cool little trick.

I like what I'm seeing here too. The giant Lawrence of Arabia style shot at the beginning of the new teaser is just all kinds of incredible. The shots of the Falcon flying around are awesomely dynamic, but it also doesn't look like he goes for the cheap handheld stuff when Finn and Rey are running from the explosions. Make fun of JJ all you want for the lens flares, but he's otherwise pretty solid in the cinematography department.

Yeah.. Im not into all the hand held camera stuff in action sequences. Like you and Krawlie I agree. I guess in the prequels George Lucas went a bit overboard with that hand held style courtesy of mr spielberg,. who incidentally does it really well.

I've had that camera/action stuff explained to me before in a super easy way to compute. If you want to film say... a really drunk person staggering down the street... you have the camera static and locked off and the actor bumbles through the frame all drunky messy mcwobble legs. We see that and understand that cause the camera is static.. very easy to perceive. But if you were to film the same drunk staggering only this time with shaky hand held camera, we the audience don't know who's drunk. The guy walking or us (the camera operator). Shaky cam can be cool if you want to place yourself in the heat of the sequence.. but understanding whats going on is difficult to varying degrees. Spielberg did it well in Saving private ryan... Lucas not so well at all in the prequels. Was a disorientating mess IMO.

Anyone want to take bets on who the first full-curmudgeon will be? Zerimar or Justus?

Anyone want to take bets on which of the "OMG!! Bestest trailer EVAR!!" members will be the biggest whiners with dashed expectations after the film is released? :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.