New Trailer!

Driver

The lightsaber is handed over dangerous-end first; clearly the first handler has no clue what it is. The second handler (Daisy?) turns it around.

Using the dialogue as a guide, the second handler is likely Leia.

That's what I've been thinking, too.

The lightsaber is handed over dangerous-end first; clearly the first handler has no clue what it is. The second handler (Daisy?) turns it around.

Using the dialogue as a guide, the second handler is likely Leia.

That's what I've been thinking, too.

Hand looks too young, I thought. And on the flip side, the hand of the person giving her the Saber looks old/small/rough/experienced.

Not looking as I type that, but that's the sense I've gotten from my viewings

I had lukewarm feelings about the first trailer. Came off a little bit like a fan film, had some "un-Star Wars like" shots, cheesy narration, felt a little amateur-ish. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

Completely different feeling with this one.

That shot with the Falcon being chased reminded me a little bit of the feeling I had when I first watched the asteroid chase in Empire Strikes Back. And I haven't felt that in a LONG time.

:thumbsup:

Surprised more people haven't been talking about this.

The OT had a very locked-off, classic camera style due both to the original DP as well as a call back the serials it was emulating. The rest of the OT followed suit. I argued hard in the PT speculation days that there would be no bullet time, slow motion or other fancy camera work in the forth coming movies because it would be a break in the established visual narrative. I was mostly right. The PT had the same stiff camera work-- but it was intercut with so many grand sweeping CG shots that it made things confusing.

AOTC introduced a hand-held element that I felt was totally wrong and seemed incredibly out of place. ROTS seemed to strike a balance, but by then it was too late to care.

In retrospect the idea of keeping the camera rules the same, but ignoring it for CG shots made for a mess. The old me would want the same rules respected-- but I think I'm okay with Star Wars getting a visual update. The production design for this movie is so much more Star Wars than the PT that it FEELS right-- but the more dynamic camera work isn't jarring to me. I think it's a necessity in a way to really make this movie stand out in every way possible. In the cinema terms of camera movement, JJ is dead center between Terrence Malick (never move the camera) and Michael Bay (never put the camera down).

I'm liking the visual update. I'm curious to see if this is just his style for this movie and if VIII and IX and the spin off films will follow suit, or make their own rules.

Call me insane... but I feel like Chewie's warble seems like an overdub.

I KNOW, ALL of Chewie's "dialog" is overdubbed. But it seemed... off.

why you gotta be like that, man?

I cant really contribute any more to this conversation cause you all bet me to it. Im blown away. I feel like a child again watching that. Beautiful in every way.

Seeing Han and Chewie had me tearing up! Great trailer and I cant wait for more.

That was awesome. Did it seem that Han Solo was wearing a jacket that was borrowed from Indiana Jones?

I also felt that instead of having Poe Dameron saying "Woohoo!" when flying the X-Wing, he could have said "Now this is podracing!". Other than that, the trailer was great. :D

And who is the chrometrooper? If I didn't know any better I would say Nike designed the new stormtropper unis. Sucks. I wanted to go in with expectations low. Now I'm all giddy and want it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

LOL I just posted this thought as well, my son said the same thing about the new Stormtroopers.

S'good. Honestly the part that had me ****ting my pants the most was seeing actual guys in actual costumes in that stormtrooper hangar battle thing.

That first shot, slow pan to the star destroyer... pretty. I like that it looks sorta fake-y, being totally serious. It almost has a matte painting quality to it.

I swear some of those shots were stolen from dreams I used to have about what I thought Episodes II and III were going to be like. Ha.

I did notice that some of the "Imperial" designs seem a bit unnecessarily shiny... as if they aren't easy enough targets.

So according to IGN and some of the Dice Developers working on Star Wars:Battlefront the desert planet in the opening shot (with the downed star destroyer) is a planet called Jakku and a battle took place there and in orbit around it 1 year after return of the Jedi. Apparently the only way to experience that battle is to play the new Battlefront. Marketing.

It is smart, but I'm less inclinded to believe it was planned and instead it just happened. JJ probably thought it was a great visual and then those concepts are seen by other powers that be and then they ask JJ what the deal is and then JJ does a George and says I dunno looks cool though and then they ask if they could tell the story of that particular crash and JJ goes sure whatever.

Don't confuse JJ for the new George Lucas-- that's Kathleen Kennedy. JJ is the guy hired to make the movie, he's not in charge of all Star Wars, that's Kathleen's department and theres no way they don't plan for synergy and cross-platform marketing.

I've said this before, but that's what Shadows of the Empire was. It was Lucasarts doing an all-media blitz of cross-promotional items to not only put Star Wars back in the collective conscious, but test out the advertising model for the PT.

Lucasfilm, owned by Disney or not, was built on cross-promotional marketing. This is no different.

Good point.

But it's hard to stomach that JJ put something in his film to sell a game, more like the game people used what was in his film to sell their game. Kinda like drawing lots on unexplained concept pieces. The end result is the same, and it is smart, I guess I'm just hoping the film production process birthed the other stuff not that the other stuff was pushed on the film.

Maybe it's naive, maybe it's arty or something I dunno. It just feels better in that order. Like if a toy company said to DC Comics they have a great toy concept for an Energy Superman and then DC says okay we'll write that story. That's ugh eww. But if DC Comics says we have this great idea for Superman turning into energy and then the toy department goes that'd make a cool toy, then that is gravy.

I'm pretty sure the guys at EA got briefed a little bit on what types of episode 7 stuff they could include in the game and it went from there.

EA is a big company but I don't believe for a second that Disney would bow down to anything they have to say regarding the plot of their cash cow.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a smart idea. I'm sure it will be a fun area and time that will no doubt be explored ad nauseam in the new EU.

AOTC introduced a hand-held element that I felt was totally wrong and seemed incredibly out of place. ROTS seemed to strike a balance, but by then it was too late to care.

I can't remember where I saw or read this, but Lucas was really heavily influenced by his BFF Spielberg with that sort of thing. He loved the psuedo-documentary style of Saving Private Ryan and really wanted to incorporate some of it into a big ground based battle. It was a cool idea in theory, but it just didn't really work with the CG-palooza that was the prequels.

JJ and his DP's seem to strike a really good balance in their stuff. They're super dynamic when they can get away with it, but are smart enough to be subdued when necessary. That shot in the first Star Trek that showed how the Enterprise didn't necessarily have to exist on a 2D plane was such a cool little trick.

I like what I'm seeing here too. The giant Lawrence of Arabia style shot at the beginning of the new teaser is just all kinds of incredible. The shots of the Falcon flying around are awesomely dynamic, but it also doesn't look like he goes for the cheap handheld stuff when Finn and Rey are running from the explosions. Make fun of JJ all you want for the lens flares, but he's otherwise pretty solid in the cinematography department.

And who is the chrometrooper?

I get a real Boba Fett type badass vibe from the Chrome Trooper. I really hope it's a one-off type thing and there isn't a whole division of these guys.

I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum because I wish at this point I didn't know, but that's Gwendoline Christie's character.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.