X-Men: Apocalypse

Darth Lohr

I'm going with him having both sets of memories.

He didn't have two sets of memories at the end of Days of Future Past. First thing he did was go to Xavier to be filled in on what happened in the new timeline. And when Logan was pulled out temporarily when Kitty was injured, the Wolverine that was there was confused as to what was going on.

Actually, unless he regains his memories somehow, the person Logan was between him leaving the 70s and coming back sometime in the future pretty much gets erased. So there's a sort of 50 something year gap where Charles knew Logan and that the person he was talking to, mentoring, and working with would someday vanish in favor of the original timeline Logan.

I wonder if Charles ever told him that or let him be ignorant of his impending doom.

Charles had a copy of the memories from when he went through Wolverine's mind to talk to his younger self. Plus, I'm sure he often went into alt-Wolverines mind given that they met much sooner. So when Wolverine prime caught up with Xavier he downloaded everything that was missed.

I mean OBVIOUSLY.

Anyway, I'm looking at the box office for this. It's not bad, but it's also not all that much better than First Class. Which isn't good news considering that all the reboot stars are seeing their contracts ending (Lawrence for one, presumably would ask for more than she's worth to get her to come back and endure a daily full-body paint job), Jackman's planning to retire his claws, and old stand-by Singer finally had his first failure in the series just as he's leaving.

After seeming to be in good shape once Days of Future Past worked and the young stars they invested in paid off, suddenly they're pretty much back to square one and hoping Gambit of all things can give them a shot in the arm going forward.

But at least they've got Deadpool.

Ugh Gambit. I never understood his popularity. Fox should just drop Jennifer Lawrence at this point and bring back Rebecca Romijn. First Class already established that was her true self anyways. Romijn was so much better as Mystique and seemed to care and appreciate the character more. Lawrence at this point is just phoning it in and collecting a paycheck. Besides the next film should be about Cyclops becoming the leader he was born to be like in the comics. No more Mystique as junior leader please.

Jennifer Lawrence is basically a Kardashian at this point, so yes, I hope she leaves as well.

Not sure where the X Men go at this point. The whole thing reminds me of why I quit reading the comics. There's only so many times you can watch them save the world.

I echo Driver when i say I hope Legion can do well. Hopefully ground the franchise a bit.

Fox should just drop Jennifer Lawrence at this point and bring back Rebecca Romijn. First Class already established that was her true self anyways. Romijn was so much better as Mystique and seemed to care and appreciate the character more.

As far as minute-for-minute portrayal, it's not really a close contest. Romijn's chameleon take on the character worked beautifully. Her body movement made that character work and feel dangerous as well as sexy. And, frankly, Lawrence simply doesn't have the body to match Romijn. Even if she somehow developed Romijn's native modeling capacity for using her body, she'll always come off as smaller and less imposing.

That said, I doubt Romijn has the chops to pull off the role of a main character and take over for Lawrence. Her Mystique is very much that of an assassin. She's got her moments, but they're only moments, as she's never really asked to carry anything. If they were to push Mystique back into a supporting role, then Romijn could presumably take over. But if they're going to continue in the same vein they have been for the last three movies, it probably won't work. Their Mystiques are just too different.

And just to note, I really don't have a problem with Lawrence as Mystique. I'm just pretty sure that she's gone.

Not sure where the X Men go at this point. The whole thing reminds me of why I quit reading the comics. There's only so many times you can watch them save the world.

X-Men stopped being interesting to me after a while. It's just the same thing over and over again, except it gets more dumb and convoluted every time.

Well I enjoyed it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Was it the weakest of the new X-Men movies? Yes, but I think it's better than all 3 of the Old X-Men movies, even X2. If you disagree with me go rewatch them, they haven't aged well and they're basically Wolverine movies.

With that said I think I'm the only one who really disliked Wolverines cameo in this it felt tacked on and cheap. Not to mention extremely cheesy. The tone just didn't fit the movie. They tried to do too many things and introduce too many characters. Also the movie logic doesn't seem to be as consistent as the other movies. I was never clear on what powers Apocalypse actually had. It just seemed to be whatever was convienent to the plot.

I'm still looking forward to the sequel that's suppose to be set in the 90s, although not recasting Wolverine was a huge mistake in the long run, he's going to look 50 and Jean is gonna be in her mid 20s, that's just gonna be some creepy uncle romance going on there. And hopefully Singer finally grows the balls to give Wolverine his god damn mask.

Bottom line is this is the closest to the 90s animated X-Men we've ever got and I love that about it despite its faults

I enjoyed the movie too. It was a mixed bag, but there was enough that I liked. I didn't mind Wolverine's cameo, but I see what you're saying. They really didn't need it.

It was nice to see Cyclops finally used right. They just need to do even more with him next time. The actor was a great choice. I've seen him in Mud and The Stanford Prison Experiment and he really stood out in those films and now this one too. Same with Sophie Turner. Really looking forward to more from her and possibly the Dark Phoenix.

Angel's transformation scene was awesome with the Metallica song playing in the background. Just wish he did more in the film. That was kind of my problem there was so much potential with characters, but some got lost in the shuffle.

Michael Fassbender stole the show. His performance was really moving with the scenes with his wife and daughter. He is just perfect as Magneto.

My least favorite thing about this film was Jennifer Lawrence who like I said before just seemed to be phoning it in.

shut yer faces

Even my favorite X-Men story of the last decade or so, Uncanny X-Force's Dark Angel Saga....which was ****ing magnificent....was a total retread of like 3 different X-Men storylines rolled into one. It's like what else can you do with these characters? How do you tell new stories when Claremont covered every possibility over the course of like 16 years and like 3 different books?

This is a nitpick but it really bugs me that Singer insists on using that stupid ass wire work for stunts in all his movies. Example: Days of Future Past had Beast jumping all over the place and hanging from a chandelier and it looked so freaking awful, like out of a cheap Kung Fu movie. Then in Apocalypse we have Wolverine doing these weird ass jumps that so very clearly look like bad wire work. I don't get how he can be so competent in so many other things and get that wrong. Also, I liked CGI beast in first class a lot more than Singer's god awful "practical" prosthetics, but I'm probably alone on that.

Even my favorite X-Men story of the last decade or so, Uncanny X-Force's Dark Angel Saga....which was ****ing magnificent....was a total retread of like 3 different X-Men storylines rolled into one. It's like what else can you do with these characters? How do you tell new stories when Claremont covered every possibility over the course of like 16 years and like 3 different books?

That's why when I read they were adapting Age of Apocalypse right after Days of Future Past it had me worried because the premise is almost exactly the same just with different characters and has to do with time travel and the ripple effect. And now the reports are they're going to do the Phoenix Saga for the next one, I honestly hope they don't but I don't know what else they would do. Besides Age of Apocalypse, Days of Future Past and the Dark Phoenix Saga what else is worth adapting? Grant Morrisons New X-Men run? But the tone is so different it wouldn't fit with the current incarnation.

That's why when I read they were adapting Age of Apocalypse right after Days of Future Past it had me worried because the premise is almost exactly the same just with different characters and has to do with time travel and the ripple effect. And now the reports are they're going to do the Phoenix Saga for the next one, I honestly hope they don't but I don't know what else they would do. Besides Age of Apocalypse, Days of Future Past and the Dark Phoenix Saga what else is worth adapting? Grant Morrisons New X-Men run? But the tone is so different it wouldn't fit with the current incarnation.

There are a few that could work : The Mutant Massacre, A Green and Pleasant Land, God Loves, Man Kills. But the problem with X-Men is that there's a LOT of batshittery. Lots of stuff involving aliens and demons and all kinds of crap that would make no sense confuse the shit out of a general audience (I list Morrison's run under this category. I mean just imagine an audience's reaction to finding out about Professor X's evil twin sister who he strangled in the womb, only for her disembodied consciousness to come back later, looking for revenge). That aside, all the really interesting stuff is very personal and wouldn't make for good live action film adaptation. Lifedeath, which is this gorgeous Barry Windsor Smith/Claremont book about Storm losing her powers is a masterpiece. But, it's never going to be adapted by Fox because it's not about the X-Men saving the world for the upteenth time.

I thought X2 did a pretty good job of adapting God loves, Man kills so to retread that would seem pretty unnecessary. I guess since they never got Dark Phoenix right it makes sense they're going to try to redo it. But at this point I just want something more fresh. And Yea, they'd obviously have to do some heavy revisions if they wanted to adapt Grant Morrisons run. Perhaps leaving out the womb strangulation part and having it be something less absurd like the twins being born and Cassandra dies at birth because the imbecile cord is wrapped around her neck and suffocates but then her concousness lives on in Xavier like the comics. I don't know it still sounds ridiculous.

Would be cool to see Onslaught as a villian someday too.

And honestly, what is the damn difference between Sinister and Apocalypse? besides aesthetically, they literally seem exactly the same. Finding host bodies to transfer into to live longer and gathering abilities. Mutants are the superior race, blah blah blah. These OP villains are boring!

It was the Onslaught story that finally killed it for me. I just thought it was stupid.

In the years that followed I looked back to see what they had been up to and I saw the whole Cassandra Nova thing, and I thought that just sounded horrible.

It was really a sad thing for me to realize that I no longer cared about the comics anymore. It just seemed like they were flat out of ideas.

So yeah I think at this point they should just redo the Phoenix storyline. Maybe do the Mutant Massacre at some point.

I never really gave my thoughts on the movie:

Actually, I didn't think it was bad. It had a pretty major problem in that Apocalypse was a dud who had a decent introduction trying to duplicate Days of Future Past's brutality, but then he and the Four Horsemen mainly stood around doing nothing but went on about how humanity lost its way in not worshipping him, but there were some things I liked about it too.

It's taken him three movies, but I'll be damned if James McAvoy hasn't become a credible young Xavier. We were talking in the Star Trek thread that Pine's Kirk still doesn't appear to be progressing towards Kirk even though he's in his third movie now and almost as old as Shatner was during the classic Star Trek run. From this point forward, yeah, I can now accept McAvoy as a replacement for Patrick Stewart. Something I wouldn't have been able to say a few years back. He's still playing a younger version (see his scenes with Moira), but things are coming together.

I rather liked Sophie Turner's take on Jean Grey and actually prefer her over Famke Janssen (who, I'll be honest, I never really thought made a great Jean). Only complaint there is that it's too early to bring the Phoenix back into this again. Let Jean be awesomely strong on her own for a bit first. Kodi Smit-McPhee's Nightcrawler was one of the few actors who tried really portraying a previously seen character as a straight-up younger version (Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler) and I rather enjoyed it. Considering Nightcrawler has awesome powers and a cool look, that his character is intact is a major plus.

A few things that didn't work so well, Mystique and Magneto coasted on their previous movies. Both Mystique's role as the mutant hero and Magneto's loss of family really were interesting ideas that could have easily been more powerful if they took just a bit more time. And, of course, Magneto killing a few million people without reprecussion or even chastisement won't settle well. Olivia Munn was simply miscast as Psylocke. She's got the right look as a cosplayer for a photoshoot maybe and I actually really like Munn, but anyone who saw her runs on Ninja Warrior knew that she didn't have the native athleticism to be an actual ninja. She's like Rebecca Romijn, cast for her body, but unlike Romijn, she doesn't know how to use that body to make me think "dangerous". Put in that she ended up the only person who wore a straight-up adolescent fantasy comic book costume, and she feels weirdly out of place throughout. Luckily, like I said earlier, her role ended up being just standing around and pointing at powerful mutants. Also, everyone already hates Ratner dude, no need to pile on while patting yourself on the back a decade later. Not like your Superman Returns movie lit the world on fire.

Scott, I'm a little on the fence about. Probably too early to tell. Though I was annoyed a bathroom door saved that bully's life, and why a piece of cloth was capable of controlling his powers is a mystery. For that matter, apparently all mutant powers are now nullified by an electric fence for reasons. Quicksilver was fun, though they basically repeated the same trick and upped the CGI and length. Though I laughed at pizza dog's closeup. I also laughed to find pizza dog's real name is Tauntaun. Storm was okay and will be usable going forward. Wolverine's cameo was reasonably good idea that was overdone. Part of me likes that he had his moment with Jean, but the greater part of me wishes we had only seen his face once, when he walked out of that cage naked, and then nothing more as he left all those corpses in his wake.

While I can see why this movie disappointed a lot of people and is Singer's least successful X-Men movie, personally I came out of the theater happy enough, but knowing that there were problems.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.