X-Men: Apocalypse

Darth Lohr

When the real-life woman you have always had a huge crush on gets cast as the...um, imaginary woman drawn on a piece of paper that you have always had a huge (and totally normal, non-creepy) crush on - that, my friends, restores my faith in humanity...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1005327%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/gallery_1200/jpg.jpghttp://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8400000/Psylocke-marvel-superheroines-8418868-400-898.jpg

Olivia Munn Cast as Psylocke In X-Men: Apocalypse

• 7 months later...

Not entirely sure how I feel. So far all of these movies have been rentals for me, so this will probably remain the same. Not quite special enough to use my limited free time to actually go out.

Bald Charles, yay! Jubilee, yay! Apocalypse looks good. Glad to see Nightcrawler back in some form or another.
First Class was fine, but I really think there needs to be a strong non-Xavier/Magneto "X-Man" presence in the group. Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique is alright, but doesn't really do it for me. It just feels like there's something missing since they didn't bother to really cultivate any other non-leader character besides Wolverine.

"Look, I'm Jennifer Lawrence. You want me in this, I ain't sitting through no 10 hours of make up and standing around naked all day."

So yeah-- I'm probably the biggest PT style apologist when it comes to X-Men movies, so I'm in.

As long as you don't worry about continuity, it's fun times.

Oscar Isaac doesn't have the deep voice I associate with Apocalypse (probably form the 90s cartoon), but I'm encouraged by him just being Apocalypse. I hadn't heard of him before he was announced for this and TFA, but he has been outstanding in everything I've seen him in. I can't imagine that he, at the very least, would not be good in this, too.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not entirely sure how I feel. So far all of these movies have been rentals for me, so this will probably remain the same. Not quite special enough to use my limited free time to actually go out.

It takes a lot for me to see a movie in the theater anyway. So far, I have only seen X2 in the theater, and the rest at home. This one won't be different.

Bald Charles, yay! Jubilee, yay! Apocalypse looks good. Glad to see Nightcrawler back in some form or another.

First Class was fine, but I really think there needs to be a strong non-Xavier/Magneto "X-Man" presence in the group. Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique is alright, but doesn't really do it for me. It just feels like there's something missing since they didn't bother to really cultivate any other non-leader character besides Wolverine.

I'm also glad to see mohawk Storm!

Also, I didn't see Wolverine in this one, so I am guessing Quicksilver and Beast might end up filling the non-leader roles you are talking about. I also read Gambit is supposed to be in this movie, and that there may be a Gambit movie in the works.

They did say he was on set-- but we didn't see the Wolverine workout tweets so I bet it's a cameo.

I for one don't mind Wolverine as the Star.

As for a lead-- Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique is posing as human and is on the X-Men side thanks to the altered timeline. Her star power is equal to Jackman's these days. Pretty sure she'll carry a lot of it.

I wonder how big of a deal Mystigue would've been in the recent films if they hadn't cast Jennifer Lawrence.

I also don't have a problem with Wolverine being the central character. As a kid I thought he was the most interesting character of the bunch, even though he was treated mostly as a side character in the early 80s. Weird to think that they almost killed him off instead of Thunderbird, if that story is true.

I think the biggest challenge this movie faces is selling Apocalypse. He was a great villain in the comics, but I fear that the film version is gonna come off as goofy/cheesy.

• 4 months later...
I'll see it in theaters but not the first weekend. Marvel has a long history of getting it right that FOX just doesn't have with X Men. It should be good but I also wouldn't be shocked if it's a **** show.

Singer's run with X-Men has been pretty darn good I'd say. X2 probably still stands as the best large ensemble superhero movie (though Civil War will probably soon surpass it). I certainly wouldn't put either Avengers movies above it.

It's really a shame that Singer got lured by Warner Bros. into finally completing that Superman Returns movie. They had some solid momentum going to build the franchise up before the Ratner and X-Men Origins: Wolverine debacles knocked them off course for the better part of a decade.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

When it comes to X-Men movies I'm a Son of Lucas/PT level apologist and deny-er.

I even enjoyed parts of Wolverine Origins.

I actually liked it, for the most part, except the last half hour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.