THE RUSH TO HUMILIATE THE POOR

Pong Messiah

I'm just saying, man, there are plenty of people that hate you for living in that liberal bubble so much that they'll be okay with being raped just because you're against it.

It's crazy.

I don't know about "free" free, but every apartment I've ever lived in had one and so has every neighborhood. Areas without HOAs usually have community pools, but they're like the library, you have to prove that you live in that community. Plus, there are parks with splash pads all over the place. And the Y, ours has 2 pools, which you do have to pay for, but they have a sliding scale membership fee and you can qualify for free membership. Not to mention all the creeks, lakes, rivers, and watering holes that are free. And the ocean.

I really can't fathom having to pay just to swim if I really wanted to. Unless I just wanted to go to the really fancy pools...

I think that food stamps should be providing the means to keep yourself and family alive and reasonably healthy. And by "healthy" I mean that the food should contain vital nutrients, sufficient calories, and minimal fat/sugar/cholesterol/processing (the bad kinds). Government handouts don't need to provide a quality of life that most people want, just what they need. (I would even make exceptions for those people completely incapable of providing for themselves vs. those who are mentally and physically able but might need temporary assistance.)

I understand that swimming is good for your health and helps you maintain a certain lifestyle, but it is not essential. Exercise is essential, but swimming specifically is not. In fact, that's pretty much how I feel about the food benefits as well. Healthy food is essential, tasty food is not. Your mom's stir-fry recipe may call for a more expensive cut of meat, but you'll survive just fine on a tuna sandwich.

People have a real problem with the idea of scarcity and not having the opportunity to choose what they want. When you aren't making much money, sacrifices must be made. Either sacrifice your time and take on another job, or sacrifice your spending and do without. Some people get really offended by that suggestion for some reason. The government shouldn't be responsible for keeping someone in a certain lifestyle of wants, but it should be responsible for meeting their needs. Actual, biological needs, not I-need-this-to-be-happy needs. I-need-this-to-stay-alive needs.

I think you spend a lot of time in a very liberal bubble. There are plenty of people who are perfectly okay with it.

I've found this to be true. A lot depends on jurisdiction, of course. Maybe Portland IS commie and a lot of people there don't like it. In my experience, a LOT of people favor tax breaks to the wealthy because they believe in trickle down economics, basically. They'll use the money they save to invest, create jobs and so forth. Tax them, on the other hand, and they'll take their business elsewhere. My province is in a TERRIBLE fiscal mess because the government kept high earner income taxes and oil royalties well below the average of most other jurisdictions for these reasons, with the vibrant encouragement of most of the electorate.

Maybe Portland IS commie and a lot of people there don't like it.

I dunno what you're talking about. Nobody I know voted for Nixon.

Seriously though, it depends on where you're at. Part of what makes Portlandia so effective is that everybody in town knows several of those caricatures in real life, but it's really a rather narrow swath of people and their behavior that defines the larger (and far more diverse) group.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.