Daredevil

ShadowDog

• 2 weeks later...

The guy that plays DD says he wants to do a Spider-Man team-up. Nice thought, but aside from Marvel not likely being eager to put Spidey on the small screen any time soon, the fact that they want to go with "young Spidey" would make it hard to do the particular idea he had in mind (which was doing the time Spidey pretended to be DD in court, so Murdock could represent him).

Anywho, I'm very much looking forward to Season Two, with my only disappointment of the first season being...

...that damn costume. Seeing it in action was even worse than the stills that had been released (leaked? I forget). Hopefully, next season will bring some tweaks.

I'm also hoping that they can make me actually like Jessica Jones with her show, which is something that never happened with the books I read that she was in. Mostly, it was New Avengers. Maybe she was more likeable in the earlier stuff. :shrug:

Are we still doing spoilers?

Just in case...

I think the fact that 1) the reaction to the suit has been negative and 2) it was explicitly stated that it "wasn't finished" mean there's a good chance we get a different look next season. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Like Lohr, the "look" was one of the few misses of the series for me

I think its been long enough. I'm doing a spoiler filled review later today.

What was wrong with his suit?

For me, as somebody who's not a fan of the series, it was simply a matter of liking his black outfit much better (though the practical reasons for getting rid of it were obviously quite valid), and feeling like his official suit was aesthetically jarring when juxtaposed with the rest of the series... as well as being a bit too bat-like for my tastes. Most of the complaints I have heard have been from people who have actually collected Daredevil; their views probably have a bit more depth and nuance than my own!

Oh, that final freeze frame was pretty bad, too... the series played with our expectations the whole time by almost going into full-cliche territory, but coming up with solid and clever resolutions at the last moment, where as that last shot felt genuinely cliche and tacked on.

Again, not a huge issue. I really liked the series as a whole -- great small-screen popcorn entertainment with a lot more depth than they could have gotten away with, so kudos for that. Will definitely be back next season!

I thought season one was awesome, but I think when we look back at it 3-4 seasons from now we'll see it's the weakest one. It's pure origin story for both Daredevil but also for Kingpin. Kingpin was actually weak and ineffectual in this season, and I was supremely irritated by that until I realized we were looking at a villain origin story as much as a hero one. Then it made sense. But still seeing pretty much everybody trashtalk and pwn Kingpin in season one doesn't really make him feel like a real threat to Daredevil beyond pure raw fisticuffs.

I'm also tired of the "best friend finds out your super identity and is pissed off" cliche. Arrow played that to a T in season one and that made it feel like Daredevil was just following those exact same footsteps. One thing I did like about it was that this was the point in the series where we started getting series backstory answers, which from a pacing standpoint felt like the right time for that to happen. Glad they didn't forcefeed that to us too early in the season.

One pacing issue I had was Daredevil's storyline pretty much ground to a halt for the last handful of episodes after he got curbstomped by the ninja. While he recovered we didn't get any of Daredevil doing Daredevil things and instead spent most of our time with Kingpin and secondary characters. It's an odd move for a superhero series to remove their main piece from the board for multiple episodes right before the end of the season.

Having said all that, a great season of TV, I just think it can and will get better now that they've spent a season laying the foundation.

I thought season one was awesome, but I think when we look back at it 3-4 seasons from now we'll see it's the weakest one. It's pure origin story for both Daredevil but also for Kingpin. Kingpin was actually weak and ineffectual in this season, and I was supremely irritated by that until I realized we were looking at a villain origin story as much as a hero one. Then it made sense. But still seeing pretty much everybody trashtalk and pwn Kingpin in season one doesn't really make him feel like a real threat to Daredevil beyond pure raw fisticuffs.

I'm also tired of the "best friend finds out your super identity and is pissed off" cliche. Arrow played that to a T in season one and that made it feel like Daredevil was just following those exact same footsteps. One thing I did like about it was that this was the point in the series where we started getting series backstory answers, which from a pacing standpoint felt like the right time for that to happen. Glad they didn't forcefeed that to us too early in the season.

One pacing issue I had was Daredevil's storyline pretty much ground to a halt for the last handful of episodes after he got curbstomped by the ninja. While he recovered we didn't get any of Daredevil doing Daredevil things and instead spent most of our time with Kingpin and secondary characters. It's an odd move for a superhero series to remove their main piece from the board for multiple episodes right before the end of the season.

Having said all that, a great season of TV, I just think it can and will get better now that they've spent a season laying the foundation.

A lot of good points... definitely hope you are right about how this will look in retrospect (at least by comparison). Was enjoying it too much to stop and think, but yeah -- I guess there was a lot of obligatory origin stuff that I didn't even notice, as well as stock motifs (like "best friend finds out your super identity and is pissed off") that might have annoyed me if I watched more superhero stuff.

Even if season 2 is a lot better, I wonder if I will be watching it with a more critical eye -- was expecting the fluffiest, most casual entertainment going into Daredevil, and was caught off guard by how much I loved it. But now there are expectations!

:eek:

I'm also tired of the "best friend finds out your super identity and is pissed off" cliche.

I'm with you. I was able to make myself swallow it (barely) with this show, but I had barely watched this and they went and did it again over on Flash. *sigh*

For me, the costume just doesn't look like Daredevil. The colours look more like a ST:TNG uniform, though that's not the main problem. Tha main problem is that it looks as cheap and patch-worked as the black outfit, without any of the sleekness. Alright, I lied, the colour is a big part of the problem, too. Too much black. As I said, it's just not sleek enough and there's no flow to it. As much as it pains me to say anything nice about the Affleck film, at least at this point, I believe it actually has the far superior costume. (Not perfect, mind you, but better).

http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/daredevil-costumes-marvel-netflix-20th.jpg

re: Kingpin looking weak

The bumbling, the mumbling, the deferring to others, the ignorance, all an act. Oh he has legit emotional issues certainly and he chooses his words with great care but what he shows to his associates and the public is an act. The Asian Lady Boss even calls him on it late in the season.

Did they ever explain the weird Asian kid and what that was all about? I missed it if they did.

I liked the flashback stuff, but that episode felt out of place with everything with the Hand, Stick, and Stone being unresolved.

Did they ever explain the weird Asian kid and what that was all about? I missed it if they did.

I liked the flashback stuff, but that episode felt out of place with everything with the Hand, Stick, and Stone being unresolved.

I strongly suspect elements of this will resurface during the Iron Fist series--maybe not Stick and the Hand specifically, but the significance of that kid.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any problem with the costume. This version of Daredevil is less superhero-ey anyway, more grounded (quite literally). He's not jumping off skyscrapers and defying gravity like his comic counterpart. He doesn't need to be particularly sleek.

I just burned through the season this week after work. I have read a few Daredevil comics when I collected but really liked this even with the usual tropes involved. There was still action by Murdock after the ninja ass whomping. When he did the rooftop stuff following the blinded lady in the classical music playing car to Gao's warehouse of drugs was one of the times.

I have been a big fan of Vincent D' Onofrio for a long time. He did a great job as Fisk. Even with some of the method acting bits that can be a little off that you catch like strange playing with his hand gestures. He's a big guy and you can see Fisk/Kingpin to come in him.

I kinda hated the way that if they would all just talk and combine heads they'd move forward. Sometimes the plots movement was bulky(?) or quite moved along. For instance they talked alot about the Tully Slumlord/Spanish Speaking Grandma tenement housing and making the people stop evicting people but not much legalese was happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much of a problem with the costume, but I think I why many do. Time.

Waiting until the last moment to debut the costume was a HUGE misstep on the part of the producers. It did not give the audience time to get used to the suit, for it to settle and become Daredevil's signature look in the eyes of the audience.

The outfit should have shown up sooner. Not right away, but it would have been better served by debuting the suit as the transition point into the last third of the season. After being beaten up by the Hand ninja, and Foggy discovering his identity, Matt getting the suit then would have been the perfect way to mark his rebirth as a person, and Daredevil as an identity. That would have given the audiences three full episodes of him in the outfit, allowing it to settle in the audience's minds, and the strengths of the suit to come through.

Also, the relative suddenness of the transisition was jarring to many as well. Going from the black costume to the full Daredevil armor all at once could be another misstep. Another good option would have been to gradually introduce the full suit, through Matt making small, incremental upgrades to his costume over the course of the season.

Either option would have been preferable to him getting the full costume only in the last 15 minutes (literally. I checked the time. There were less than 15 minutes left in the episode when the costume debuted). In the other Marvel properties, the movies, we had plenty of time to get used to the characters in their costumes. Even if they were just prototype outfits, they spent most of the film with a look that was visually very similar to their finally appearance, thus giving us time to associate this look with the character. Deviating from that is where Daredevil made it's mistake, I feel.

It's awesome because not only is Punisher great, it even makes sense plot wise. One of the main themes in season one was Matt trying to decide whether to kill Fisk or not, ultimately deciding against it. Well, here's the motherfucker who went the other way. It's not choosing a supporting character to add just for the sake of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.