Who has more earthquakes of 3.5 magnitude?

Ms. Spam

Years lives in California: 16

Earthquakes felt: 3

Objects that fell over during said earthquakes: zero

I have an uncle who was in San Fran during the one in 1989. I guess that one was pretty scary from what he told me. Regardless, I would still live in SoCal if I could afford it, possible earthquakes be damned!

If you actually look like Avril Lavigne you can stay in my guest house.

East of OKC, the earthquakes damaged a lot of people's foundations. No one had earthquake insurance because...y'know...it's Oklahoma. I think there is a class action lawsuit against the oil companies to get compensation for damaged homes.

The bigger one in 2011 is the only time I've ever been concerned during a quake. Usually they're just like sonic booms from a passing jet.

You guys are fun wreckers. And fracking does mess with the earths crust. Trail of Tears because of the exodus of people leaving over earthquakes and tornados.

Earth's crust is up to 30 miles thick. The deepest fracking I've ever heard of was barely 2 miles deep. Hardly a scratch in the grand scheme. And comparing any mass exodus out of the so-called state of OK would hardly compare to the Trail of Tears, since no one would be forcing them out at gunpoint.

The Trail of Tears comment was intended to either be funny or to try to push the envelope with minor racism.

Either way it fell flat.

Years lives in California: 16

Earthquakes felt: 3

Objects that fell over during said earthquakes: zero

I have an uncle who was in San Fran during the one in 1989. I guess that one was pretty scary from what he told me. Regardless, I would still live in SoCal if I could afford it, possible earthquakes be damned!

If you actually look like Avril Lavigne you can stay in my guest house.

I am not blonde! But I do look better than her when dressed like a punk!

Something to consider: California constructs buildings and infrastructure with earthquakes in mind, Oklahoma doesn't. That's a big reason why these fracking earthquakes are a big deal, it basically makes affected houses unsellable, and the homeowner suffers a huge loss in home value.

• 5 weeks later...

Something to consider: California constructs buildings and infrastructure with earthquakes in mind, Oklahoma doesn't. That's a big reason why these fracking earthquakes are a big deal, it basically makes affected houses unsellable, and the homeowner suffers a huge loss in home value.

If Oklahoma buildings can't stand up to a 3-pointer, then they'll be collapsing every time a large truck rumbles by, too.

I think you don't have to worry too much about Oklahoma.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/historical_state.php

CaliforniaOklahoma

Seriously. I was born and raised in CA, experienced my share of terrible earthquakes, and witnessed / suffered from their horrible effects across the board, so I find any attention paid to a 3.5 WTF inspiring.

As I've said, our infrastructure wasn't designed to withstand earthquakes. No one here pays attention to the 3.5 quakes. We have enough to deal with (tornadoes, meth, etc) its not like quakes are a source of pride. These quakes screw with peoples wells, foundations, etc, but the effects are largely localized to two areas in the state.

There's nothing to be done. Fracking is the only way to get at profitable quantities of natural gas and other fossil fuels. Naturally the stress field in the area being fractured will be altered. Obviously other problems with fracking are apparent, including contamination of ground water. There are ways to deal with that problem, but quakes aren't avoidable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.