How would you feel about a prequel reboot?

Quetzalcoatl

Guest El Chalupacabra

I love the concept. The problem I see is Ewan McGregor's age for movie 1. Movie 2 is probably doable, because a beard can help hide a lot.

So for 10 minutes it bothers us that the actor's age doesn't match up and then we realize the new movies are awesome and we never think about it again.

In a franchise where a literally new born baby remembers her mother who died that second ... this would be a continuity error we could live with.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I love the concept. The problem I see is Ewan McGregor's age for movie 1. Movie 2 is probably doable, because a beard can help hide a lot.

He grew the beard between 1 and 2, so it could be employed!

I am not saying it isn't feasible, just something that could be an issue. The beard should match AOTC, which hides less than the ROTS beard. I know that's nit picky, but just saying. Since I am not in the industry, I don't know how much make up and/or digital touch up can correct this, at least inexpensively. I know you have Tron and AntMan, but a whole movie?

So for 10 minutes it bothers us that the actor's age doesn't match up and then we realize the new movies are awesome and we never think about it again.

In a franchise where a literally new born baby remembers her mother who died that second ... this would be a continuity error we could live with.

Being a craptacular episode aside, I am sure that is what they said for the Star Trek Enterprise finale These are the Voyages, when FatRiker and Troi made an appearance set during TNG TV era, and we were supposed to believe they hadn't aged 12 years.

So-- serious thought...

There is a way to reboot the prequels unofficially.

Rumors about an Obi-Wan movie are growing in strength to the point that they've turned into theorizing that Obi-Wan might get his own trilogy of films.

IF that were true... what if each one took place in between the PT films. The first could be between TPM and AOTC, and feature a new Anakin around 13-14. The second would take place between AOTC and ROTS and have Obi-Wan off on his own mission during The Clone Wars. And the third would be after ROTS where everyone is assuming his standalone movie would be.

They would be in the prequel era, but have unique stories and would be made by people who knew what they were doing.

So not a legit reboot, they don't make the PT un-canon... but they, the same way TFA does, would give us the stuff we wanted to see in the prequels.

Also, I'd like a pony.

I would be on board with that if the movies work as a self-contained story. In other words, would I be able to watch those films and pretty much get the full prequel backstory without actually having to watch the prequels?

Or they could just reboot the whole thing. For all the prequel hate out there, I don't understand everyone's desire to see it kept cannon.

They can't ditch the PT because they have a lot of IP based around it-- comics, cartoons, toys, still in circulation. It would also be really bad for the brand in terms of confusing it and watering it down.

But yeah--0 Obi-Wan could hit the points of the PT era mentioned in OT but without messing with continuity.

Guest El Chalupacabra

OK Driver, you convinced me I'm down with an Obi Wan trilogy you are describing. I definitely would like to see an Obi Wan trilogy regardless.

But I still want to see at least one Obi Wan film set between Episode 3&4, where he goes on a mission, as well as explains why he and Yoda never tried to topple Vader and/or the Emperor, or at least that they tried, but failed and Obi Wan couldn't physically make another run at it afterwards, like discussed in another thread around here. You know what one I'm talking about.

But here's another point: In addition to an Obi Wan trilogy that is an unofficial reboot, or at least augments the PT to repair that era some, what about any/all of the following to create a new "Special edition" or "Editor's Cut" of the PT films to make it run better:

Gather McGregor, Jackson, Portman, McDermid, CGI characters like Yoda, or non-humans in costume, and some of the other good actors of the PT (hell even new ones), and

1. Pick some scenes to be reshot,

2. Or shoot new scenes,

3. or if there were cut footage that could be re-edited and reinserted

4. Or cut out some theatrical footage that hurt the narrative

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think of the PT as like a rough draft. What it has going for it is the FX hold up still, and the overall story wasn't bad. I feel that if dialogue or extra scenes were added to better explain motives of characters, or just smooth out the story, it could be made a whole lot better. I mean if amateurs can come up with a Phantom Edit that isn't half bad, why couldn't Disney with it's deep pockets and all its resources edit the PT films and do an amazing job? I don't think it is impossible at all. What do you think?

Yeah, if they did an Obi-Wan film the last one should definitely be between 3 and 4. So:

TPM

Obi-Wan 1

AOTC

Obi-Wan 2

ROTS

Obi-Wan 3

Han Solo

Rogue 1

ANH

ESB

ROTJ

TFA

IF IT WERE UP TO ME

Obi-Wan 1 would be about him and a 13-14 year old Anakin on some pre-Clone wars mission that is really just the backdrop to a story about their father/son relationship. Take the time to really show that is a strong bond, and show us in some actual depth, how Anakin is messed up and always close to the dark side. So when in he kills the Sand People it's not out of nowhere.

#2 gives us some serious Clone War action. Anakin is off on his own mission, so we never have to see Hayden Christensen. This one is about really showing us the responsibility of a Jedi. Obi-Wan meets somebody he has feelings for-- but he also has a duty to attend to, and they run into direct conflict with one another.

#3 is what we've talked about-- tired, defeated Obi-Wan alone in the desert, but is called back into action for Bail when they think they've found other surviving Jedi... but it;s a trap and Obi-Wan ends up facing Vader, and tries to "bring him back" but fails. Fight ends with Vader thinking he is dead, and Obi-Wan truly beaten.

Here's what should've happened in the prequels. Anakin and Padme don't try to hide their marriage. The both pretty much give up their careers and leave everything behind. They go to live with Owen and Beru on Tattoine. Ep. 3 opens with Obi-Wan showing up and asking Anakin to leave with him because the clone wars had taken a dramatic turn for the worse, and Anakin reluctantly agrees. Had this happened, that stuff Obi-Wan says to Luke in a ANH actually makes sense.

The biggest issue was Lucas going so far back in the story to when Anakin was little. Just wasn't enough time to really get the rest of the story properly into Episodes 2 and 3.

I read during the lead up to TFA that Lucas had at one point gone back and forth between thinking about a 12 part or 9 part series. However, the 12 part was essentially still 3 trilogies. The plan if he went with 12 was to have the 3 trilogies with movies that kinda spanned the long time between the trilogies, basically:

I-Takes place 10 or so years prior to the first trilogy

II-IV-The preuel trilogy

V-Takes place somewhat midway between prequels and OT

VI-VIII-The original trilogy

IX-Takes place between OT and ST

X-XII-Sequel trilogy

Seems like maybe when he made the prequels he kept that idea of having one that takes place a long time before the main action of the trilogy. Then he kinda crammed what was the PT into 2 movies. Which didn't leave quite enough time to show us everything we wanted/needed to see in terms of the relationship between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Lucas probably should have just came into the story very, very late. Have Palpatine be Chancellor already, have Anakin already be Obi Wans apprentice and in love with Padme.

Here's what should've happened in the prequels. Anakin and Padme don't try to hide their marriage. The both pretty much give up their careers and leave everything behind. They go to live with Owen and Beru on Tattoine. Ep. 3 opens with Obi-Wan showing up and asking Anakin to leave with him because the clone wars had taken a dramatic turn for the worse, and Anakin reluctantly agrees. Had this happened, that stuff Obi-Wan says to Luke in a ANH actually makes sense.

This is exactly what I always wanted/expected/think they should have done.

I actually kinda like the idea that say Anakin is 20 in TPM and he meets up with Obi Wan and Padme on Naboo. Maybe he is a freighter pilot just in wrong place/wrong time. He gets involved with them and as they escape the planet, their ship is damaged (like in the movie). Anakin says his home planet is nearby and his family could help them. They go to Tatooine and we meet his mom, his half brother Owen etc. However Maul tracked him there, but instead of justeing alone and showing up by himself at the last moment, he has a bunch of soldiers/battle droids whatever with him. They attack Anakin's family's village. Basically instead of the pod race being the action during the time on Tatooine we get a battle. They are able to hold off Maul and his men but during the attack the village is destroyed and Anakin's mom killed. Owen blames Anakin for bringing this home and says the least Anakin can do is stay and help them rebuild. Anakin chooses to go with Padme and Obi Wan.

This could match up with what Obi Wan says in Star Wars too.

The biggest issue was Lucas going so far back in the story to when Anakin was little. Just wasn't enough time to really get the rest of the story properly into Episodes 2 and 3.

This is something that I would strongly have to agree with. While I still think TPM is good start, it forced AOTC and ROTS to condense a lot of what went on. While I think The Clone Wars did an excellent job of fleshing out what GL wanted tell, it was also an indictment on him not being able to tell that in the confines of the two movies. That and the animated Anakin was so much more believable than the real one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.