How would you feel about a prequel reboot?

Quetzalcoatl

Yeah that's how I took it as well, the point of the PT was to highlight the fall of the Jedi, and that was pretty much it, they had turned into essentially high tier soldiers.

And also agree on the lightsabre colours, there has never been rule established regarding who can use what colour, it's just a filmmaking/art direction choice, similar to how all bad guys have generally just worn black.

If it wasn't for the PT as it is there wouldn't be any more movies to look forward to. In fact the net worth of the franchise would have been somewhat less and I doubt Disney would have got invved with it had those movies not been made.

Please be careful of what you wish for as well. There's no guarantee that JJ Abrahms or MDisney are the right custodians of the franchise. Let's see them make a movie first.

on the lightsabre colours, there has never been rule established regarding who can use what colour, it's just a filmmaking/art direction choice, similar to how all bad guys have generally just worn black.

Yes, of course. Filmmaking choices, which matters to the story. When I said rule, I rather should have used the word precedent or something. I didn't intend to imply some canon or lore or anything like that. If all lightsabers were chosen to be yellow, that would be a "rule" of sorts.

The "rule" we ended up with is Red vs. Blue + Green + one Purple. Kinda weird, and its purpose begs more questions than it addresses. I think Red vs. Blue-->Green tells a better story. Red vs. Any could work too. Purposeful use of saber colors can tell a story, and doesn't even need dialogue.

The title of the thread asks for opinions on a reboot of the prequels. I'm offering ideas on how they could have been improved to affect the overall, large six volume story. When you start in the middle then go back in time in what is supposed to be a large, nine volume story, you run into cause and effect issues. I believe that most fans think of star wars as more of two separate trilogies (for many reasons) and less so as one large story. Many of the details Ive mentioned are the small but numerous ways the large story has been adversely affected. If there were to be a reboot, I wouldn't want any OT cameos, and I certainly wouldn't want to borrow so many themes from the OT. I'm not trying to crap on the PT, not intentionally anyways. I'm trying to make a point that "if you borrow X from the OT, and then go back in time and show X in the PT, it affects the big picture." The consequences of that were not considered. That is the one big thing I wish would change, if a reboot were to possibly happen. Yeah yeah it's only a movie I get it, but it is fun to pretend and play executive producer, isn't it?

The cameos kinda bugged me too, but didn't ruin the movies for me. What irritated me more were the inside jokes that foreshadowed the OT, like C3PO's line "You'll never get me onto one of those dreadful starships". The line was only there for comedic purposes, and was being aimed specifically at OT viewers. Lucas always said that he intended the movies to be viewed in order 1-6, but then he goes and throws in all these inside jokes that you'd only get if you already saw the OT, creating the impression that he wrote the prequels specifically for people who'd already seen those movies.

What story does the color preference of force users lightsabers tell?

preference? Oh come on. Mace is the only one who wanted a purple one? Why does he get what he wants, but every other Jedi chooses from blue or green? why only those colors? I can do better than that.

You don't get to choose color. Blue is the old republic. Red is the empire. Green is the new republic. Blue fights red. Red kills all the blue and rules the galaxy. Red is eventually defeated by green. Green triumphed where blue did not. Green is the new blue. Simple. It's harmony with the story gives it symbolism. Only slightly more complex than a CGI rabbit stepping in the poopie, so kids will get it, but it's subtlety won't make adults roll their eyes. Lightsabers are going to be cool no matter what their color.

Or

Any color goes. This implies the force user chose that color because they like it, but as the director you make the color identify with the personality of the characters. Sith still get red because they identify hate. Anakin and Obi-Wan both still get blue because it identifies them as friends. Luke choosing green shows he's a fully trained Jedi and isn't borrowing his dad's old blue one anymore. Give a dark Jedi a purple one if he is going to be in your movie. Give a mysterious character a black one. Don't explain it just give them a color that makes some kind if sense and it tells you something about that character. Simple symbolism, it's Star Wars, people will get it. Minor characters who need one get whatever looks pretty.

You can give meaning to anything you want, doesn't mean it improves the story. We can make the shade of brown of a Jedi tunic symbolic and important, Doesn't mean it should be. Or how Luke changed his hairstyle. Or any of another thousand things.

Basically Im not syaing your idea(s) are bad. Im just saying they wouldn't do much at all to change anything. Its easy to look at someone elses creation and add a couple little things that you think would improve it. It's like "wow, you cooked an entire great steak dinner. Let me throw some parsley on top"

Id like to think I'm not so much as adding parsley as I am saying there's too much garlic. Theres quality in the details, and when watching a movie if something doesn't makes sense, contradictory, or doesn't add up, it takes most people out of the movie. And there's a lot of garlic in the prequels.

You mentioned Jedi tunics. Or course the color doesn't matter, but what they wear as a uniform kind of does. Luke wears a tunic in ANH. No big deal, he's on a desert planet and they wear tunics. But when you go back in time and make every prequel Jedi wear a tunic that looks so similar....it's strange. Good for Luke for just...knowing what to wear I guess.

It seems like every little thing in the Prequels had to be a reference to the OT in some way. I would remove most of it if I were rebooting the movies. Anyways whatever, I feel like I've belabored this enough so I'm through.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Jedi should have worn the black get-up Luke wore in ROTJ.

Lightsabers should come in every color.

I want to see a rainbow-colored lightsabers.

• 3 months later...

I do want them to redo the prequels, but I want them to wait another 30 years and then redo all of them. I want them to redo the prequels, but then redo the OT with the same actors from the redone prequels for continuity, then at that point they'd have to redo 7 - 9 even though it would have only been 25 or so years since Ep 9. I agree they can just drop TPM completely and start with AOTC. Maybe add an opening 5 - 10 minutes where Obi-Wan discovers Anakin as a young hotshot republic pilot and then skip ahead 5 years or so where we see Anakin as Obi Wan's apprentice. Most of the first movie would be the Clone Wars, then the second movie should have Anakin turning to the dark side and the Emperor revealing himself in the middle of the movie, and Obi Wan and Anakin's fight at the end. The third movie should be about the establishing the rebellion, and feature Bail Organa as the primary character, the establishment of the Empire, and most of all, Darth Vader (in the suit) hunting down and destroying the surviving Jedi.

Here are the names I have come up with for the new movies (still trying to think of a better one for Episode 4)

1. The First Rebellion

2. The Fallen Guardians

3. The Alliance

4. The Death Star

5. The Empire Strikes Back

6. Return of the Jedi

Instead of a rebooted prequel trilogy, I want an in-depth, in-universe, biographical documentary on the life and times of Nute Gunray. That would be exciting! Bring on the discussion of the socio-economics factors that spurred the development of the Trade Federation from its beginnings as a lemonade stand on Tatooine to its peak as the economic powerhouse of the Late Republican Era!

Or maybe an adventure following Stormtrooper TK-421 before he (she?) got to the Death Star. Though I bet they're keeping that character for a reappearance in Star Wars: Rogue One.

• 1 month later...

I just saw Ant-Man and, strangely enough, it made me realize exactly what I thought was wrong with ROTS because, while I am a fan of both films, I think they have the same weakness - the threat was too vague and ill-defined. Take Ant-Man. The movie should have made it clear from the very beginning that Cross made a deal with Hydra, who in turn had a very specific use for the yellow-jacket suit, and Hank Pym knew about it. Instead, the threat came off as very abstract and hypothetical. Scott has to steal the yellow-jacket suit because the villian might sell it to some bad people who will do who-knows-what with it. I just never felt the sense of urgency and importance of Scott's mission the way the movie wanted me to.

ROTS had the same problem. Anakin needed the dark side's power to save Padme from......what exactly? We are only led to believe that Padme's life might be in danger somehow, and the dark side could somehow save her. Both propositions were based on nothing substantial. The former was based on a dream, and the latter based on a line of dialogue from Palpatine. There was nothing substantial in any of it. It was all conjecture. I feel like Lucas had the beginnings of a good idea, but he never followed it through. He just took those beginnings and ran with it.

Not sure if I've posted in this thread or not, but if so, consider this post a "reboot" of what I've said already:

Hey, they rebooted the other 95% of the Star Wars universe, so hey, why not? Then they can reboot the original Trilogy and a Tarkin-like character can arrogantly proclaim that "the last remnants of the old canon have been swept away."

I wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot pole, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.