New York... what a city!

Odine

Im there right now. My first time. Mind is being BLOWN. This place ****ing rules and deserves the hype well and truly. I must say. Got a similar feel to London.. but then completely not at all...its kind of way better. Maybe thats cause Im on vacation, but I dunno. I could get used to this place.

Just while there make sure you get a taste of the real NY and head to Sbarros.

Is this legit or a joke? Is Sbarro not just lukewarm mall pizza?

I could live in New York easily... If money wasn't a major factor. I hear rent is ridiculous expensive here. But in terms of vibrancy, atmosphere, art, music etc.. This place is off the hook. And I'm used to population density so the lack of space isn't that much of an issue for me. Brooklyn is ****ing cool. Probably sound like a total hipster but it really is cool. Tried to go up the Empire State Building today but the line was 1.5 hours long and ramming full of people. Screw that. It's not even that cool a building. I'd love to go up the Chrysler building though. Hopefully gonna get drunk tonight and go watch some music/bands and eat more awesome food.

Would love to visit NYC and New York as a whole. I know ~6 biologists/professors that have moved to OK from NY, which is indicating people like to leave NY or NY produces more scientist types than a lot of states. I'm guessing the latter is more likely.

I took two trips to NYC during college and it was neat. I'd like to go back there at some point, but big cities aren't really my thing. I liked NYC better than Chicago and Boston during my trips to those cities, but I don't know what that's really saying. The trips were all considerably different, especially since I had a friend from NYC with me on one of my trips there, so he helped us get around and go to nice restaurants. Both Chicago and Boston were on trips to conferences, where I had to fend for myself more. If Boston didn't have the historical significance that it does, it would pale in comparison completely. Chicago was somewhere in the middle, but I also have the additional family roots there that might influence me.

All of these cities pale in comparison to Montreal for me, though. It feels foreign enough to be really interesting, but also familiar enough to not feel daunting. I really enjoyed my time there for a conference two years back. Granted, I am pretty sure I only visited the nice parts of the city, but it was really nice.

Those are the main big cities I have been to during post-high school, where I have been at least partially responsible for my ow experiences. Prior to that time, though, I also took trips to Melbourne, Sydney, Innsbruck, and Munich, where I had parents mostly directing my trips. Those cities are all also very neat, too. If it weren't for the length of the trip to Australia, I'd really like to go there again. Since it is one the way, I'd also like to see New Zea;and outside of the Auckland airport.

For full-time purposes, I'm not a big fan of living in large cities, which may be due in part to me growing up in the suburbs, but they also can overwhelm me. They are nice to visit, though.

I've been to Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, Phoenix, etc. Not huge cities, but certainly big. They all kind of blend together to me, and I made a point to take a bypass around Chicago because it's just another big city.

Then, I visited Tokyo. Phenomenal. Amazing. I had a reaction like you did with NYC. I would love to visit there again, and if I was younger I would have loved to work there for a year or two.

I have lived in the Phoenix metro area for over a decade, now, and prior to that lived in the suburbs of both Chicago and Milwaukee. I was actually born in Jersey and was in NYC as a kid, but don't really remember it. Still, other than maybe trying a few restaurants, I can't really think of any reason why I would want to go back. I certainly don't feel like I've been missing out.

I've been to NYC twice, had tons of fun both times! I don't think I would want to live there but damn the place is energizing! So much to do and see, I loved Times Square at night, you really have to go there and see it, pictures and video don't compare to how overwhelming it is. I felt like Cap America when he ran out onto the streets of NYC at the end of First Avenger! :D

But I'm a westerner, I wouldn't want to put up with those months of cold weather they have to deal with every year. I'll take the heat, thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.