Peoples who have had babies...

Ms. Spam

Tell me about jaundiced baby issues. I have a friend who got to take her baby home on Sunday but they had to do light therapy. He was born on Thursday early in the morning. I've been looking on webmd and other places but I wondered if this common and why they send a particular type of blanket home with Mom.

My son Dylan had it so bad that I color corrected his baby photos. Saved a bunch on medical bills doing that too. What?! He got better. But seriously I did color correct his baby photos that I posted online, he was quite literally orange. Docs said it was pretty bad, that was their official medical diagnosis too. Dylan will be five years old in April, but he'll always be my Baby Oompa-Loompa.

Thanks guys. I think kids super scare me. At least the little ones. I understand adult jaundice but kids. And this light therapy is kind of weird. I went up to Austin after work. I picked up pizza for Dad and older brother and possibly mom. To make it easier as they get into the baby schedule. Dad's only home for another four days to help.

OMG. Those were the worst sentences ever. But I've been going non-stop since this morning. I was just at a loss to see what I could do to help and didn't want to ask a bunch of questions as I am sure Mom and Dad have had to explain it like a billion times.

So guys. Baby is back in the hospital. They're just hoping that they don't have to do a blood transfusion therapy. He was 8 pounds 11 ounces and 20.5 inches long. I don't think he could be a premie at that weight but it does sound like the liver is just not responding.

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes even full-term babies have difficulties at the start. Ethan spent a week at Seattle Children's because he couldn't regulate eating and breathing, of all things. Sometimes they need a little bit of help, sometimes they need a lot. I'll pray for your friends that it's something small.

If you want to do something to help, check out what the food situation is like at the hospital and get them a gift card. If they have a coffee shop like Starbucks in the hospital or across the street, send one of those.

I'll ditto that. Also if theres a place they like that delivers, like we ate Jimmy Johns a couple times when we were in the hospital because they would deliver directly to the room.

So guys. Baby is back in the hospital. They're just hoping that they don't have to do a blood transfusion therapy. He was 8 pounds 11 ounces and 20.5 inches long. I don't think he could be a premie at that weight but it does sound like the liver is just not responding.

Something kind of like this happened to my younger son. We had to bring him back after three days because he was badly jaundiced. He had to go under the light for a bit, but turned out okay. Hope this works out.

Thanks. Neither can I. He lives halfway across the country now, so there is very little I can do to help him, which has been driving me a bit nuts at times. Fortunately, I know he has many family members and friends nearby who are there for him, too.

The whole situation just really sucks. I know I'm biased here, but my friend is one of (if not) the greatest people I know. In addition to being a good friend, he's just got such a great drive, and he's also a fantastic father. I can't even count the number of times he's sacrificed tremendously for both of his sons. This all just really pisses me off. I don't want to go into the details on here, but it sounds like the baby's death could have been prevented (not by my friend and his wife, though. They did everything they could and were told to do by doctors). It is just infuriating how my friend's life got turned upside down in less than a week's time.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Spam. I truly am glad to hear that things look like they're going in the right direction for your friend. I guess I just needed to vent a little bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.