New Daily Show Host Isn't White, but He Isn't a Woman. Is This OK?

Pong Messiah

So, Trevor Noah was named the new host of The Daily Show, which is a decidedly mixed bag.

• The good news: he's not white
  • The bad news: he's not a woman
Such conflict. Should I be half-elated or half-outraged by this announcement? Is it possible to be both? Up until recently, race always trumped gender, so how to appropriately react would have been a no-brainer. But it's not so clear cut anymore. So confusing.

A friend suggested letting him settle in, to actually watch him behind the desk before deciding how to feel about this decision, but come on this isn't the 18th century folks. Oh well, at least he's not American.

:yes:

Just stopping in as the local anti-Feminism feminist.

Women can do just about anything men can, short of peeing standing up and other inconsequential things. But you don't automatically get a job/position/etc just because you have a vagina for the sake of "diversity". That undermines the feminist "movement", IMO. Because then you get a-holes like other guys I've known who have claimed I just got into a top 5 university engineering program because I was a woman. No, I got in because I'm smart and work hard. This person had better test scores than I did, but worse grades because he was lazy, and I was able to balance all of that with more extra-curriculars, especially ones that demonstrated leadership. Overall, that makes me a better applicant because I knew how to achieve balance. Guess which one of us flunked out of the general engineering program because they never went to class and drank too much, and the other graduated on time, in the program they were accepted into, with honors? But I'm sure if you asked him today, I still only got in because I have boobs. Because people think that's actually how the world works (MRAs), or should work (super-crazy Feminists with a capital F). God forbid people get where they do on their own merit. The interhent and systematic racism and sexism (and other -isms) that exists in our society should be acknowledged and efforts should be made to correct it over time, but just artificially fixing it by automatically inserting a random black guy, woman, etc into positions doesn't fix it. It just makes the system try to clamp down even harder, out of spite.

I do, however, have a feeling that there was, at the very least, a little bit of pressure from The Daily Show's primarily liberal audience to put a minority in the spot. The blowback if they had picked another white dude that isn't John Oliver or Stephen Colbert would've been rough. I hope Trevor Noah does well. Guy has some tough shoes to fill.

Geez, it's like guessing the next Doctor.

If the next Doctor isn't portrayed by a Ugandan albino hermaphrodite LP with Down's Syndrome I am SO DONE with this show.

:angry:

Just kidding. Haven't been a regular viewer for awhile now. With Who, lack of consistent quality is much higher on my list of concerns than lack of diversity.

Table scraps and a pat on the head! How many years was she on The Daily Show? How many minutes ago did Trevor Noah show up? Looks like the same 'ol story to me, bub!

Just kidding. Olivia Munn is the only other person on the show (male or female) I can think of who was consistently less funny.*

Oh wait, there was that Craig Kilborn guy...

*I realize a lot of people do find her hilarious, so I am willing to accept the possibility that her style and sense of humor simply does nothing for me personally.

"MRAs" and "Super-crazy feminists with a capital F" - like militant atheists vs fundies, two sides of the same stupid coin.

For reals.

Table scraps and a pat on the head! How many years was she on The Daily Show? How many minutes ago did Trevor Noah show up? Looks like the same 'ol story to me, bub!

I do have to wonder if TBS showed up with a bona fide offer before Comedy Central got their act together. I've never watched her, but I think she was the one who wigged out on everyone who demanded she "LEAN IN", which got her HERO status with me.

I do have to wonder if TBS showed up with a bona fide offer before Comedy Central got their act together. I've never watched her, but I think she was the one who wigged out on everyone who demanded she "LEAN IN", which got her HERO status with me.

That was Jessica Williams.

Geez, it's like guessing the next Doctor.

If the next Doctor isn't portrayed by a Ugandan albino hermaphrodite LP with Down's Syndrome I am SO DONE with this show.

:angry:

Just kidding. Haven't been a regular viewer for awhile now. With Who, lack of consistent quality is much higher on my list of concerns than lack of diversity.

I bailed when TPB cast that weenie to replace the great David Tennant. I think he was a real life alien.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stopping in as the local anti-Feminism feminist.

Women can do just about anything men can, short of peeing standing up and other inconsequential things. But you don't automatically get a job/position/etc just because you have a vagina for the sake of "diversity". That undermines the feminist "movement", IMO. Because then you get a-holes like other guys I've known who have claimed I just got into a top 5 university engineering program because I was a woman. No, I got in because I'm smart and work hard. This person had better test scores than I did, but worse grades because he was lazy, and I was able to balance all of that with more extra-curriculars, especially ones that demonstrated leadership. Overall, that makes me a better applicant because I knew how to achieve balance. Guess which one of us flunked out of the general engineering program because they never went to class and drank too much, and the other graduated on time, in the program they were accepted into, with honors? But I'm sure if you asked him today, I still only got in because I have boobs. Because people think that's actually how the world works (MRAs), or should work (super-crazy Feminists with a capital F). God forbid people get where they do on their own merit. The interhent and systematic racism and sexism (and other -isms) that exists in our society should be acknowledged and efforts should be made to correct it over time, but just artificially fixing it by automatically inserting a random black guy, woman, etc into positions doesn't fix it. It just makes the system try to clamp down even harder, out of spite.

You are my kind of feminist. My hat's off to you. You're also the type of woman I'd like to hold up as a role model to my girls.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.