Hero Judge Punished for Calling Cop a Liar

Pong Messiah

HERO OR VILLAIN  

4 members have voted

1. 1. IS THE JUDGE HERO OR VILLAIN?

Neither a hero or villain in my opinion.

1. Convicted by the jury Which means there was probably other evidence to convict the defendant.

2. If the judge had issues with the police officers testimony why wait after the juries verdict?

3. This wouldnt be in the news if there hadnt been the yelling exchange between the judge and prosecutor.

Well, at least this police officer. I mean, there's a good chance the lady he pulled over was drunk, but if your office isn't competent enough to run a breathalyzer test, don't lie about it. Procedures are followed for a reason.

Agreed. Shoddy, lazy police work. Sounds like the cop sucked at his job that day. We all can have a day like that, but when you do, and you're a cop, you shouldn't get the kudos for the arrest and she should walk. I totally dig the fact that the judge saw this and was all like "nope, not good enough; and furthermore I'm pretty confident the cop is perjuring which should have some consequences. We can't have that, no way not in my house."

I don't dig the way the judge kind of laid into the prosecutor, who also has a job to do. He was disrespectful and patronizing. He didn't need to go tit for tat with the prosecutor; just make your ruling, say it's final, and drop the gavel.

Well the issue the judge had with no breathalizer test being done may have not been the officers fault because this officer had a dash cam or body cam on when he called the station asking for a breathalizer to be administered and the station said it would take 3 hrs.

Why would it take 3hrs? Waiting 3 hrs would scew the results. It sounds like the department needed to get their crap together.

Well the issue the judge had with no breathalizer test being done may have not been the officers fault because this officer had a dash cam or body cam on when he called the station asking for a breathalizer to be administered and the station said it would take 3 hrs.

Why would it take 3hrs? Waiting 3 hrs would scew the results. It sounds like the department needed to get their crap together.

The lack of a breathalizer test was not the officer's fault, but claiming she'd taken it is all on him. What he should have done was tell her it was her lucky night, make sure she got home safely (without driving), then go raise hell with his co-workers for making it impossible to do his job properly. Recognizing impaired driving, keeping those drivers off the road, and arresting them when appropriate is actually a useful service cops provide to their communities. I don't like ruling by fear, but hey -- I know a lot of people (myself included) who turn down that second or third beer before driving home because they're scared ****less of getting a DUI.

As I see this:

• Station = incompetent, which is bad
  • Officer = dishonest, which is worse
  • Judge = hero for freedom for not putting up with that kind of BS, but also villain for decorum for his "disrespectful and patronizing" (and might I add, childish) behavior.

Since it has to be one or the other, I'm going with "Hero" for the judge, though I think Dana's assessment, which points out the judge's flaws is spot-on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.