German Wings plane crashed intentionally by Co-pilot

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/europe/france-germanwings-plane-crash-main/index.html

Wow, this is absolutely terrifying. Basically, after the pilot left the cockpit briefly, the co-pilot Andreas Lubitz locked the door and intentionally crashed the plane into the French Alps, killing all on the plane: about 150 people. Apparently, people could be heard screaming on the black box recording, just seconds prior to impact. I'm sure more will be learned in the days to come, but a good point has been raised: why didn't the pilot have a key or an over-ride code that could have been entered to unlock the door?

fuck. What state of mind must you be in to want to do that???? Must be some extreme nihilism/depression/bipolar/personality disorder type mental illness going on there. Which leads to another point, how could such a person get a job as a pilot without those traits being noticed? How long had he been flying people on the regular before he did this? It boggles the mind...

I'm sure more will be learned in the days to come, but a good point has been raised: why didn't the pilot have a key or an over-ride code that could have been entered to unlock the door?

There is an override code, but there is also a manual lock that can't be overriden for security purposes. If someone wants to hijack an airplane and jumps a pilot on their way back to the cockpit, you don't want them to be able to take a key or torture a code out of them.

****. What state of mind must you be in to want to do that???? Must be some extreme nihilism/depression/bipolar/personality disorder type mental illness going on there. Which leads to another point, how could such a person get a job as a pilot without those traits being noticed? How long had he been flying people on the regular before he did this? It boggles the mind...

It sounds like he was a very inexperienced (but technically qualified) pilot. 100 hours on the A320. But he probably had years of experience on smaller type aircraft. I know in the US they do psych evaluation when you're hired. I had a friend who just went through it to get hired for one of the big airlines. I'm not sure how extensive it is, though. Mostly I think they were a little concerned about the fact that he's a gun nut lol. They do have to have regular medical evaluations, as well. Not sure what Europe's standards are, but it sounded like Luftansa, the parent airline, claimed they don't do psych evaluations on their pilots.

I think we probably should keep closer track on our pilots, but more for exhaustion and depression than suicidal tendencies or extreme mental illness. It is a hard job, and it keeps you away from your family/loved ones a lot. I think the initial screenings will generally catch the big stuff, but people go through difficult times in life that may change their ability to do their job well.

Guest El Chalupacabra

There is an override code, but there is also a manual lock that can't be overriden for security purposes. If someone wants to hijack an airplane and jumps a pilot on their way back to the cockpit, you don't want them to be able to take a key or torture a code out of them.

That works, I suppose, except in cases like this. The thing is something went wrong to leave one crazy guy alone in the cockpit.

So apparently most airlines use a "rule of two" (sound familiar?). When one pilot leaves the cabin, another member of staff/officer has to replace him so there are always 2 people at the controls. Lufthansa doesn't follow the rule of two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.