X-Files returning to TV

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm so cheap I use rabbit ears and watch broadcast home stylee.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't have cable anymore either, and that's what I do. And netflix and whatever can be streamed free.

Guest El Chalupacabra

John Noble has serious issues with migraines so you're right that he probably wouldn't want to do TV again.

I get those from time to time myself, and I know how they can be incapacitating at times.

I haven't even bothered with Xfiles, after the last time they brought it back, a couple years ago. I couldn't imagine them going anywhere but down. Seems like that assumption is right.

I bailed after the first season 25 years ago. Why couldn't The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. have survived the Friday night death slot instead?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Probably because Xfiles was cheaper to produce, at least the first few seasons. I doubt it was much more expensive than your typical crime procedure show, and had a couple of relative nobodies as leads. Brisco was a western, with a fairly famous lead of Bruce Campbell. Plus I think Brisco was a bit ahead of its time. If it had come out 5-10 later, it may have survived longer.

But then again, Fox has always (ALWAYS) been willing to pull the plug on a decent show (firefly), but allows terrible shows to live on and on (American Idol or any other of its reality shows, Lucifer).

Probably because Xfiles was cheaper to produce, at least the first few seasons.

Naw, X-Files was its own little cultural phenomenon in its first few seasons and became the template for the whole paranoid sub-genre in the 90s. Fox would have renewed it even if it had Brisco County production values.

I just didn't like it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Agreed on both counts there. I think 6 seasons of Xfiles would have been enough, but they definitely should have ended the xfiles series after Mulder was abducted by aliens (I think that was the season 7 finale?) and either gone the occasional movie or 2-3 TV miniseries route to tie up the loose ends and concluded the story, and gone out strong.

I don't know about 6 seasons, but Brisco should have easily gone 4 seasons for sure. The world would be a better place if Brisco was in syndication and not given the Firefly treatment. Or was Firefly given the Brisco treatment?

I have seen the new Darin Morgan episode starring Brian Huskey (whose presence was teased a few episodes prior in the Langly one when they were looking through the Xeroxed X-Files and this showed up) and guest-featuring Dan Zukovic (as the guy in the opening Twilight Zone riff) and I liked it a lot --- but not enough to watch the one that came out before it or the one that came out after it. Or, maybe, didn't dislike it enough --- unsure of how my relationship w. The X-Files (1993-2003, 2008, 2016, 2017-????) functions --- I watched tons and tons of the bad episodes when they were first airing so why now, in this time and this place, do I not want to watch BRAND NEW bad episodes? So unsure.

I just saw that one myself. I'm a couple weeks behind. That was ANOTHER masterpiece this season. That's 2 out of 4. Carter sucks at the season long/ series long myth arcs but gotdamn the dude can NAIL a single episode better than anybody. This was a brilliant piece of work. Just dead on the money on the social commentary. I wish this show was just starting now in this day and age. We need the commentary way more now than we did in the past

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.