X-Files returning to TV

Guest El Chalupacabra

• 2 weeks later...

asdfghjkl

ASDFGHJKL;'

I JUST CAN'T. I'VE HAD 12 HOURS TO PROCESS AND I HAVE LOST THE ABILITY TO EVEN.

Apparently they haven't solidified whether there will be another season or not. fuck YOU FOR ENDING IT WITH A CLIFFHANGER WITHOUT ANOTHER SEASON IN THE WORKS, CHRIS CARTER.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, WTF?! Why you do this, X-Files? I trusted you!

Trust no one!

Yeah this finale was a bit over the top and a bit too hokey for me. I found myself hoping this was just some dream sequence episode.

Mulder and Scully in the end times, and only Scully can cure a world wide disease, killing off most of the world population?

I liked my Mulder and Scully solving crimes, and even investigating aliens in relative obscurity. Saving the world from a hyper-plague that only alien DNA can cure is too high profile, and really, too silly. Not to mention this episode seemed rushed.

You were doing so well, Xfiles, until your finale!

Couple of things I don't quite understand...

1) Are we as the audience supposed to believe the "there never was an alien conspiracy" theme they're trying to push now? I clearly remember scenes from earlier episodes where the syndicate is having secret meetings and discussing their alien associates. How are we now supposed to believe that the syndicate wasn't working with aliens? We even saw aliens in the past. I don't get how the show can just ignore that stuff now.

2)

Why did Mulder get sick? I get that Scully didn't get sick because of her abduction. But Mulder had been abducted too. I guess he never got alien DNA? But why? The smoking man clearly wanted to save Mulder, so why not make him immune as well? It just seems weird that smoky would save Scully before he would save his own son. It doesn't make any sense.

1) Are we as the audience supposed to belief the "there never was an alien conspiracy" theme they're trying to push now? I clearly remember scenes from earlier episodes where the syndicate is having secret meetings and discussing their alien associates.

They were obviously illegal alien associates, silly!

• 1 year later...

The new X-Files re-start is mostly bad (is this the third time they've brought back The X-Files?) but, fortunately, the upcoming Darin Morgan episode is going to be a brand-new Darin Morgan episode unlike the last time they re-started The X-Files when the Darin Morgan episode was just a mere re-write of a previously unfilmed Darin Morgan episode from when they brought back Kolchak The Night Stalker (hah hah, I checked Wikipedia and they technically brought that back three times as well --- once as a TV movie sequel and once as a TV Series and then once again in the 2000s as a reboot). So this is the for real first time we, as an audience, are getting absolutely one hundred percent for real new Darin Morgan X-Files stuff since maybe about 1998 or thereabouts.

Oh, and, hah hah, they tell us what the Cigarette Smoking Man's name is in the premiere early on (and reveal that he faked the moon landing, which when he does that and we flashback to seeing him at home w/young Jeffrey Spender watching it on TV is probably the only cool bit(s) in the episode entirely) and then Chris Carter spends the rest of the hour attempting to induce seizures w/rapidfire editing! Thanks! Bring on Season 12! Season 13!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I haven't even bothered with Xfiles, after the last time they brought it back, a couple years ago. I couldn't imagine them going anywhere but down. Seems like that assumption is right.

Guest El Chalupacabra

One good episode isn't going to pull me in. I'll wait until the season is over, then take a look if word of mouth is good. I got suckered last time, not again.

I did catch a commercial where they mention "parallel universe." The irony is that Fringe started out as essentially an xfiles clone the first season (even made a reference to the "x division" in the pilot as a nod to Xfiles), and by season 2 found its own story and voice rooted in a parallel universe storyline. Now, it seems Xfiles is exploring that concept.

The "X Division" reference was in the first episode of season 2, not the pilot. It was during the Congressional hearing that would decide whether or not they would keep open the Fringe division after the events of season 1.

I never bought into the X-Files / Fringe comparisons. The only similarities between the two shows were:

1) they both involved FBI agents

2) they were both shot on planet Earth.

Every dynamic, the feel, the tone, etc were completely different. But because the FBI is involved and it's got supernatural elements, a lot of people falsely conflated the two shows.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Whatever episode it was, it was mentioned.

It was definitely a throwaway line, not meant to be taken seriously. Just an easter egg or nod. Nothing more. I wasn't arguing otherwise.

It's just I was observing the fact that Season 1 of Fringe really WAS xfiles lite, and it was ironic that Xfiles is now pulling this parallel universe move. I agree the characters and tone are different, but I think there are more similarities than differences with Fringe Season 1 (at least the first half). YOU may not agree, you may not see the similarities yourself, but I'm not the only one in history to make the comparison between the two shows, at least where season 1 of fringe is concerned. It found its own identity for sure, but early Fringe really was a lot like xfiles. I'd say it filled the void left by xfiles to an extent. That's what made me want to watch it in the first place.

Oh you're by far not the only person to mention it. Pretty much everybody who mentions Fringe brings that up. But yeah I don't agree.

I do find it interesting though that Fringe filled that empty spot between the end of X Files and it's return. It creates the strange duality that while each show was on you believe the other show is dead and never to return. I guess an unexpected Fringe revival is due next.

Here's a question. Did you know David and Gillian hated each other during the original run? Apparently they would go months without speaking off camera. Maybe that was common knowledge but I never knew it. It makes me sad.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Oh you're by far not the only person to mention it. Pretty much everybody who mentions Fringe brings that up. But yeah I don't agree.

I do find it interesting though that Fringe filled that empty spot between the end of X Files and it's return. It creates the strange duality that while each show was on you believe the other show is dead and never to return. I guess an unexpected Fringe revival is due next.

Here's a question. Did you know David and Gillian hated each other during the original run? Apparently they would go months without speaking off camera. Maybe that was common knowledge but I never knew it. It makes me sad.

It would not surprise me at all if Fox did bring Fringe back some day, but if they do, it had better be soon. John Noble is no spring chicken. He probably would be the hardest to get to sign on, as well, because out of the whole Fringe cast, I think he is the most well known, and he is probably looking at retirement. I am not sure what the other actors are up to these days, but I would like to think they would be willing to return.

I did hear Duchovny and Anderson didn't get along back in the 1990s when the show was in first run. The things I heard were that Duchovny had a huge ego and was hard to work with. If memory serves, I also heard they did an interview years later (long before the TV revival, and I think around the time of the second movie premier... it was something like a comicon or similar venue), where they both even acknowledged that, and Duchovny said something like it was a case of working long hours and familiarity breeding contempt or some nonsense. I haven't heard of them not getting along since the revival, but I haven't followed them, or the show itself, all that closely. I guess being older mellowed them both out some, and probably the paycheck helped, too

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.