X-Files returning to TV

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, the first half of the episode was promising and then the dialogue turned to ****. The alien plotline was so tired and convoluted by the end of the show's original run; playing it off as an elaborate deception for the sake of a clean slate/relevence just comes across as a giant, lazy middle finger. Like I said before: this should have just been monster-of-the-week with no explanation whatsoever as to why they're back on the X-Files.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Episode 2 was more like a classic episode, but there just seems to be something off. Can't quite articulate what it is, though. Good that they are addressing the William arc, and I am assuming this episode is laying the foundation for him showing up.

I am still in, but this still all feels like preamble. I hate saying it but if it weren't for the nostalgia, and if this were a new show, I 'm not sure if I'd coming back for more. Hoping Episode 3 is better. I would like to see the Lone Gunmen show up.

Episode 2 was more like a classic episode, but there just seems to be something off. Can't quite articulate what it is, though. Good that they are addressing the William arc, and I am assuming this episode is laying the foundation for him showing up.

I am still in, but this still all feels like preamble. I hate saying it but if it weren't for the nostalgia, and if this were a new show, I 'm not sure if I'd coming back for more. Hoping Episode 3 is better. I would like to see the Lone Gunmen show up.

Agreed. For some reason, this doesn't feel like x-files. Everything that's happening feels very forced to me. But I am glad to see that the show hasn't forgotten its classic story arcs. One of my biggest fears was that they would all get swept under the rug like none of it ever happened, and seeing that those events still have an impact on Mulder and Scully's lives today is a pleasant surprise.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I also thought it was fitting that Scully stayed with the Lady of Sorrows Hospital and worked as a practicing doctor all that time, since the original series ended. Seems to fit her character as both being religious, as well as a personal penance for adopting out William. Now the one thing that does seem to be lacking, is that Scully used to be the skeptic that questioned Mulder's theories and forced him to prove them. Granted it is hard for her to be a doubter considering what she has seen and done, but they could have found some way to make her more of a doubter,

Mulder staying in the house since the second movie's ending, does not fit his character, though. The FBI dropped the charges in the second movie so there was no reason to stay in the house like a recluse. Besides, what money is he living off of to afford to stay there? I think they should have made him more like a private paranormal investigator, and that would have been a more credible reason for Mulder and Scully to break up.

Liked both episodes. They did feel nostalgic, but not in a bad way.

Was burned out by the original series' run, and left deflated by the films (don't think I ever made it through the second film), so perhaps lowered expectations are affecting my perception?

I definitely won't stick around this time if it feel like the show is running me in circles while it figures out where it wants to go -- already made that mistake once. But at least for now, I am in!

The abused wife ALWAYS thinks that this time ... this time ... they won't put up with it if things go badly.

Well, maybe I have a problem with getting in to abusive relationships, but I certainly don't have a prob getting out of them when things don't change. Just off the top of my head:

• Heroes Reborn: left after premiere episode -- it brought flowers and sloppy makeup sex, but I could tell it hadn't learned its lesson.
  • Lost: I loved it at first, started to feel toyed with by season 2, didn't come back for season 3 (including the finale). I know a bit of what happened after that, because Pongita stuck with it to the end, but any watching was through osmosis.
  • True Blood: Loved season 1, but its slow decline into (even more) absurdity lost me some time in Season 3.
  • Desperate Housewives: don't laugh. I actually liked it when it first came on!
  • The Simpsons: Started out good, got a lot better, then from about season 7-8 forward has just been on autopilot, repeating itself. I have warm feelings for it, but who wants to get stuck in a relationship rut?
  • Glee: Started out great. Got progressively sillier -- left about halfway through season 2. Is it still on?
  • Caprica: Maybe this one shouldn't count, since I didn't have an opportunity to give it a second chance, but once I got tired of watching this occasionally awesome series figure out what it was, I bailed and never finished the series.

If somebody whose opinion I trust says "Hey, the show improved/found itself, come back and give it a chance!" (e.g. The Flash, Supergirl, The Force Awakens), I will give it a try, but I'm not afraid to let it go, either. Only so many hours in the day, why spend 30-60 minutes on something that doesn't do anything for you and shows no signs of improving? You can trust I will leave The X-Files if it toys with my heart again.

:eek:

My main problem with the later seasons of the x-files is that the story arcs became so "out there" that it became pretty much impossible for me to suspend disbelief. Mulder was dead and buried for three months, and got better! If you're dead and in the ground for three months, and somehow recover from that, you're a miracle of science. You would probably be an instant celebrity world-wide. You most likely wouldn't be able to walk down the street without being recognized by someone. At the very least, you would probably spend the rest of your life in a lab being studied by doctors. There is no way you could live a regular life after that. Yet Mulder goes right back to work at the FBI like nothing had happened. He moved back into his apartment, which for some reason still had all of his furniture in it after three months of being dead, and no one around him seemed to think it was that big of a deal that Mulder was dead and buried for the three months and got better!

OMG! Episode three was the best one yet.

Yeah, was a ton of fun!

I was gonna take off points for "OK, then how and when did he get a job?" until the very last scene, where horny toad demonstrated his sense of, uh, timing. Well done. Very well done.

Can't do episodes like this very often, or they lose their charm while changing the overall timbre of the series. But they are great sometimes food.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I still have to see this week's episode.

I am so spoiled on netflix, and I refuse to get a DVR, that it is so hard for me to actually sit aside time for shows when they are broadcast old school.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.