X-Files returning to TV

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hope it's just monster-of-the-week and they stay away from alien mythos stuff... which I think they ran into the ground.

I've still never seen the second movie... I almost forgot that existed.

The second movie was a monster of the week. So if you skipped THAT why hope the series revival is the same thing?

Because it looked dull... and I just never got around to seeing it. if this ends up looking dull I'll probably skip it also.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It pretty much has to involve aliens somehow doesn't it? Remember the final? 2012 has come and gone, and there wasn't an alien invasion. The show has to address that somehow.

The Mayan calendar being off by a half decade?

I remember cell phones being a big part of the series.

It's been a few years since I've watched the show, but I distinctly remember there being a number of times at least in the early seasons where Mulder or Scully got into a bad situation that would be easily remedied by having a phone with them. It has been far longer since I watched later seasons, though, where I guess they started using cell phones.

:shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

It pretty much has to involve aliens doesn't it? Remember the final? 2012 has come and gone, and there wasn't an alien invasion. The show has to address that somehow
The Mayan calendar being off by half a decade?

I would be really disappointed if the show gave us a cop-out excuse like that. Mulder obtained detailed information that aliens had been in contact with top level government officials and that an invasion was being planned for 2012. Mulder's discovery was the culmination of the alien-government conspiracy arc that played out over the course of the entire show. They can't just sweep it all under the rug now and pretend that it wasn't important. I mean, they could, but I'll be extremely disappointed if they do that. I spent years watching the X-files, expecting some kind resolution to the conspiracy story, and we never got it. The last movie was a missed opportunity, because they could have wrapped it up then. Now I'm hoping this miniseries will finally deliver.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It pretty much has to involve aliens doesn't it? Remember the final? 2012 has come and gone, and there wasn't an alien invasion. The show has to address that somehow
The Mayan calendar being off by half a decade?

I would be really disappointed if the show gave us a cop-out excuse like that. Mulder obtained detailed information that aliens had been in contact with top level government officials and that an invasion was being planned for 2012. Mulder's discovery was the culmination of the alien-government conspiracy arc that played out over the course of the entire show. They can't just sweep it all under the rug now and pretend that it wasn't important. I mean, they could, but I'll be extremely disappointed if they do that. I spent years watching the X-files, expecting some kind resolution to the conspiracy story, and we never got it. The last movie was a missed opportunity, because they could have wrapped it up then. Now I'm hoping this miniseries will finally deliver.

Agreed. It would be a cop out.

As to the last movie, I could be wrong, but I think it was intended to kick start a series of sequel movies, but because it bombed, that didn't happen.

In fact, that movie was just on the other day. It wasn't as horrible as I remembered it being, but I still see why it was a box office bomb. And the fact it didn't have Doggett and Reyes, (in fact, not even mentioned!) is a glaring omission.

Keep hoping but it's not gonna happen. There was no payoff for the conspiracy because the whole thing was an ass pull all along. They were making it up as they went along, with no idea where it was leading beyond whatever happened in the two parter they happened to be writing at the time. They've admitted as much. So there's no way to pay that off now.

Better to just enjoy the fresh stories now with our old friends Moose and Squirrel.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, I'd be happy with any xfiles, as long as it is well done. Pay off is more a wish list thing for me.

• 5 months later...

The Lone Gunmen died they won't be back.

The seasons without Mulder were actually good. Better than the last season with him. There was a new energy and it was actually fun to learn about new characters after so many seasons with the same 2. (A weakness it shares with Supernatural. When you only have 2 leads, you run outta character stories after 5-6 seasons) It was interesting to see Scully take the Mulder role. And I liked the Super Soldier arc.

YMMV obviously.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So did the smoking man, but he seems to be back.

Besides, the Lone Gunmens' deaths were not conclusively seen on screen. There's room for them to come back.

The Doggett/Reyes episodes were actually under rated. I was really disappointed that they didn't make an appearance in the 2008 Xfiles movie.

• 3 months later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, seemed kind of clunky.

The "it's been all an elaborate hoax all these years just to fool Fox Mulder" retcon/trope was laying it on a little thick.

And I am not sure if they are ignoring the 2008 movie, or pretending it never even happened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.