X-Files returning to TV

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/24/x-files-return_n_6932444.html

First, Fox brought back 24 last summer (successfully, I might add), and now it looks like they are bringing back X-files for a special 6 episode run. I loved this show when it was in its first run, and except for maybe season 1, it still holds up pretty well upon re-watching on DVD. Being an episodic show, these 6 episodes will surely be better than the movie X-Files: I Want to Believe, and if these episodes pretend that movie never happened, it would be fine with me.

I either didn't watch the second movie or gave up on it early in its running time (the confusion comes from thinking that I know what its about; even having a sort of half-memory of certain specific scenes) but news of a comeback TV show still raises a few small hopes that, as was said by our forefathers and shall be said again time after time, THIS COULD BE GOOD IF DONE RIGHT

As long as this doesn't affect Gillian Anderson's ability to play Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier in any way, shape, or form (she's officially a regular in season three), this is an acceptable revival.

The X-Files was a decent show. Has charm and nostalgia value, though it doesn't hold up very well today. That said, it was clever and well-made compared to everything else on network TV during its first few goodish seasons (especially seasons 2-4). While there are some standout episodes throughout the series' entire run, Season 5 began a sad decline, the movies weren't very satisfying, and I don't have high hopes for the revival.

But of course, I'll still give it a shot.

:yes:

MUST NOT CLICK ON SPOILER THINGIE MUST NOT CLICK ON SPOILER THINGIE

Also, one thing I really liked about The X-Files, especially early on, was how it managed to maintain a raw feel, while being secretly rather slick and well-crafted. But television just looks so much better and the writing (at least, in general) is more sophisticated today than it was in the 1990s. Cleverspooky lo fi's been done; will there be any major differences in how they present themselves in the revival, especially since they're coming back after several shows they've inspired have come and gone?

:eek:

No... season 2 was amazing. Even the mechanimal murderer episode, which by any reasonable standards should have been ridiculous and awful was delicious. And the closer was the best, most intense season finale I have ever seen on any television show... ever. Just avoided your spoiler thingie, cause a few season 3 spoilers have been leaked, and am trying to avoid them while fighting an intense urge to peek!

:eek:

I've still never seen the second movie... I almost forgot that existed.

At least you know you've seen it. I've seen both, and literally only remember 2-3 scenes from the first movie.

With shows like Grimm and Sleepy Hollow, and with only 6 episodes, I don't think we'll get much, if any MotW stuff -- I'd be pretty surprised if the focus isn't on aliens and shadowy conspiracies.

I do agree with your hopes, though!

That's funny, the only thing I remember about the second movie was that I saw it, too! :D

I do remember a few scenes from the first one, like John Locke sitting in front of the bomb before it explodes and the ending but not much else. It's been a while.

I hope it's just monster-of-the-week and they stay away from alien mythos stuff... which I think they ran into the ground.

I've still never seen the second movie... I almost forgot that existed.

The second movie was a monster of the week. So if you skipped THAT why hope the series revival is the same thing?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Cannot wait! I loved the 24 return (can we get another, please?! Poor Jack!) and was jazzed to hear about this show doing the same.

I hope it's better than the second movie, too, that one was just so eh.

Yeah, 24: Live Another Day was a really well-done revival. I've read that they are still planning another limited run of 24, possibly the summer of 2016.

Xfiles: I want to Believe was a movie that actually seemed more like a Millennium episode. In fact, I was hoping for a Frank Black cameo, and the fact that Reyes and Doggett weren't in it at all was criminal. But really, the only thing the movie actually accomplished was getting the band back together, and the plot itself was incidental. It was more or less a failed attempt to kick-start a trilogy, and I guess because the movie was kind of panned, more movies didn't happen afterward.

How about a story about a new government conspiracy that is tangentially related to the alien conspiracy, but not focused on the actual aliens.

You mean like most of the mythology arc? If you think about it, most of the "chase" was the conspiracy arc, with only hints of aliens. What if the REAL conspiracy was that there really weren't aliens, but just alien tech and genetically altered humans reverse engineered from now-extinct aliens by The Syndicate, who used the alien cover story as a means to consolidate power and government takeover, after all?

I'm hoping the Lone Gunmen are revealed to be alive and in hiding in this upcoming six-parter.

As long as this doesn't affect Gillian Anderson's ability to play Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier in any way, shape, or form (she's officially a regular in season three), this is an acceptable revival.

The X-Files was a decent show. Has charm and nostalgia value, though it doesn't hold up very well today. That said, it was clever and well-made compared to everything else on network TV during its first few goodish seasons (especially seasons 2-4). While there are some standout episodes throughout the series' entire run, Season 5 began a sad decline, the movies weren't very satisfying, and I don't have high hopes for the revival.

But of course, I'll still give it a shot.

:yes:

I think Gillian Anderson will be able to do both just fine, considering Hannibal is more a "half season" model.

While I agree seasons 2-4 were the golden era, and that season 5 was the beginning of the decline, I think the show as a whole, holds up pretty well.

I'm hoping the Lone Gunmen are revealed to be alive and in hiding in this upcoming six-parter.

There is an X-Files Season 10 comic where they are shown to have survived! I doubt this series will ackowledge the comic. :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.