What Do Casual Fans Do That Annoys You?

Zerimar Nyliram

That comment was so rude that it garners a second post from me. Seriously, you're an idiot, and I use that word very selectively. The first thing you need to understand is that I said "You can suck it" in jest. I was poking fun at a situation. Secondly, as I said above, the EU is a real thing. To say that I live in a fantasy world for liking it is asinine because Star Wars itself is a fantasy world! That would make you just as pathetic and fantastic (in the original sense of the word).

In the future, you may wish to think things through before saying stupid things. Good night.

R.C.: Yep, pretty much. Except that I didn't pronounce the "oo" the way sounds in "food." It was more like the "oo" in "hood."

What? No! That way makes no sense. You're pronouncing refroodgerator wrong!

GOD WHAT A PATHETIC FANTASY WORLD YOU LIVE IN

Bubba/Bahbah Fett mis-pronunciation gets me. "He's my favorite character. He's the coolest." Really? Then how come you have so much trouble getting his name right?

Well from my memory the first time we hear his name actually said in a movie is during the battle at Jabba's when Han says "Boba Fett? Boba Fett? where?". And he says it very much like "Bah Bah Fett".

"Falcon" and "Han" get mangled pronunciation throughout too. (Maybe it's how I want to hear it, but I always thought Han pronounced "Boba" correctly in ROTJ.)

Just like panaka saying they're sitting ducks obviously proof there are ducks in starwars.

Or they're both just common expressions familiar to the audience that are used to convey a basic idea without wasting time.

Weren't there ducks in the water around Naboo Palace in TPM?

Interesting thing about ducks: apparently, they exist in the Star Wars universe. Obi-Wan tells Luke in the novelization of Star Wars that "Even a duck needs to learn how to swim," to which Luke replies, "What's a duck?" Dogs exist as well.

R.C.: Yep, pretty much. Except that I didn't pronounce the "oo" the way sounds in "food." It was more like the "oo" in "hood."

What? No! That way makes no sense. You're pronouncing refroodgerator wrong!

GOD WHAT A PATHETIC FANTASY WORLD YOU LIVE IN

I know! I should just bolt all my doors and windows and never come out of my house again!

And Han was referring to the Hell from ancient Correlian mythology.

Were you that guy at Celebration 3? If so, I owe you a punch in the face and you owe me my time back, lol.

Hahaha! Sorry, buddy. If I could take it all back, I would. :p

Interesting thing about ducks: apparently, they exist in the Star Wars universe. Obi-Wan tells Luke in the novelization of Star Wars that "Even a duck needs to learn how to swim," to which Luke replies, "What's a duck?" Dogs exist as well.

I'm sure if someone looks hard enough, they will spot a Howard the Duck cameo in one of the prequels!

That comment was so rude that it garners a second post from me. Seriously, you're an idiot, and I use that word very selectively. The first thing you need to understand is that I said "You can suck it" in jest. I was poking fun at a situation. Secondly, as I said above, the EU is a real thing. To say that I live in a fantasy world for liking it is asinine because Star Wars itself is a fantasy world! That would make you just as pathetic and fantastic (in the original sense of the word).

In the future, you may wish to think things through before saying stupid things. Good night.

I never said that you live in a fantasy world. But I am now.

It doesn't help that George Lucas himself mispronounces the names sometimes. He's been known to call Leia "Lee-uh" instead of "Lay-uh", for example. But, then again, there are contrary pronunciations in the films, too, such as Lando calling his friend Han as in Hand and not Hahn in Empire Strikes Back.

I'm also not a big fan of people who spell the names incorrectly. Thanks, ZM, about the Ventress thing. I totally missed it. But major characters? It's A-n-a-k-i-n, P-a-d-m-e, L-e-i-a, C-h-e-w-b-a-c-c-a, O-b-i-W-a-n, P-a-l-p-a-t-i-n-e and Q-u-i-G-o-n-J-i-n-n.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Honestly, I don't give what casual fans say or think much thought. I'm pretty indifferent about them, and the term casual fan implies unfamiliarity with the franchise. Why bash someone for not knowing a lot about Star Wars? It's just pop culture, and not everyone needs to eat, breathe and sleep Star Wars.

Nor am I bothered by people who are really into the EU books. The books aren't for me, but people are allowed to cherry pick and decide for themselves what their own personal Star Wars canon is. For me, Star Wars canon pretty much consists of the movies, TCW, and a few select video games (namely KOTOR & the Kyle Katarn games).

The only pet peeves I really have is people who confuse Star Wars and Star Trek, or worse, get into this Star Wars VS Star Trek. I'm a fan of both, and other than having the word Star in the title, are completely different. Also, I have never understood the need for Star Wars fans to put down Star Trek, or vice verse and never understood the feud, and the idea you can only be a fan of one or the other. I'm not bothered by people only into one or the other, just the snobbery and find it hilarious when one side accuses the other of being geeks. A guy who dresses up like a jedi at comicon doesn't have much moral high ground bashing a Star Trek fan who dresses like Mr Spock at comicon.

^ I really like your point about fans being allowed to decide your own canon. The franchise is enormous and takes many forms, from movies, to novels, video games, animated series, etc. There's something for everybody, and there's so much that only the most super of superfreak star wars geeks can absorb it all. I mean that in a loving way not as an insult.

My personal opinion about canon: movies only. I've read only 9 (I think) star was novels, finishing like 7. I enjoyed some, but I thought a couple were garbage. It was a long time ago, and what I remember is scarce. I've played the video games, but only really remember the KOTORs. The animated series I have no interest.

In my canon Boba Fett dies and so does Darth Maul because that's what the movies intended and has shown. Resurrecting cool but nonessential characters like that are intended to make a quick buck and detract from the overall quality of the story, so I won't have any of it. In my canon, Han shoots first because he does; screw Lucas. The "bringing balance to the force" part of the prophecy is open to a bit of interpretation IMO, because prophesies are ALWAYS fickle and never straightforward, if Lucas explained it in an interview or something, I have to question why he did so. It's better left unexplained! Lucas just needed to meddle with everything.

If things are contradictory, then the fan can further pick and chose what is true or not, because star wars is full of contradictions across it's many forms. Here's a case in point of such a contradiction within the SAME movie in AOTC: AOTC takes place ten years after TPM. On Kamino, Obi Wan: "Master Syfo Dias was killed almost ten years ago", meaning he was alive during the events of TPM (combing through the council in TPM he's not there). Obi Wan: "Master Syfo Dias commissioned a clone army almost ten years ago. I was under the impression he was killed before that," so...when the hell did he die? Anyways it doesn't matter because it wasn't explored further, at least in the film. The most interesting plot point of the film...and it doesn't matter.

As far as Disney decanonozing and recanonozing the events in-between films...how dare they. And I don't even care much for most of it. screw that noise. Some of those books are better than the entire prequel trilogy; why don't you decanonize those Disney? Actually, they just might.

If you read it, it happened if you want. If you didn't read it, it didn't. if you read it and you hated it, and feel it's better off not happening then fine. Just don't go shoving it down others throats. To address the original question of the thread "what do casual fans do that annoy me?" it's not the typos, or the misquotes. It's actually the same thing that hardcore fans do, and it's shoving their personal canonization in my face. It's fiction, agree to disagree. There's so much more in starwars that everyone can mutually enjoy to allow minor little details drive fans apart.

And starwars

A guy who dresses up like a jedi at comicon doesn't have much moral high ground bashing a Star Trek fan who dresses like Mr Spock at comicon.

Unless that Jedi you're dressed as is Obi-Wan. Then you have all the high ground you want. ;)

I get what you're saying, though, and I'm not a fan of the feud myself. I also am a fan of both franchises (though more casually--hey hey!--in the case of Trek). But sometimes the "fights" are really just people having fun with one another, taking it as an opportunity to be huge nerds and poke fun ultimately at ourselves. I admit that I'll take the occasional jab at Trek devotees, but we all know that it is all in jest and we're still friends in the end.

Regarding the personal canon issue, I agree with you. For me personally, I grew up with the EU, so I love it, and it is my preferred version of Star Wars. When I say that I have no interested in the FU--er, I'm sorry: the Disney canon--I'm not saying that it's bad or I hate it or anything like that. All I'm saying is simply that I'm not interested in it. To me, Star Wars is what it has grown into over the last thirty years, and that is what I choose to stick with.

It's like a guy a buddy of mine ran into whose home sports team changed their name and management (the team escapes me a the moment, so we'll refer to the original name as "the Bobs" and the new name as "the Toms"). He said he is a lifelong fan of the Bobs. When asked if he loves the Toms now by extension, he said, "Nope, the Bobs." But it's the same team, same players, same city, same everything, except for the management. "Don't care. I am a Bobs fan, not a Toms fan."

That's kind of how I view Lucas Film Star Wars versus Disney Star Wars. If you're into the latter, that's fine, but it's not for me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I can certainly understand how Star Wars fans, particularly the EU fans feel about the heavy handed way Disney has de-canonized (for lack of a better term...I know there are varying degrees of canon, with some books taking precidence over others, but all are less canon than the films) over 2 decades of novels (I know there were other books, as well as comics going back to the 1970s, but I mean starting with the Thrawn books), especially if they are something they grew up on. See, I am at an age where I have seen literally every single thing I have grown up on rebooted at least once. Everything from Star Trek (I remember when the only Star Trek that existed was TOS), Star Wars (if you count PT as a soft reboot), BSG, GI Joe, Transformers, and various other shows and cartoons too many to list, you name it. Some added to established canon, some eradicated it. Some of it, like BSG was well done, but some reboots have pissed all over my childhood. Hell, this is how old I am....I remember my mom reading (I was little, but still remember it) Splinter of the Mind's Eye to me BEFORE TESB was released, which I saw in theaters, BTW. On a smaller scale, I have seen EU (albeit on a smaller scale) de-canonized by a movie that followed it, myself. So I get how it feels.

For me, I think the hardest reboot was Star Trek 2009, though, and I literally didn't accept Star Trek 2009, until after seeing the film. I liked it, but even then, I still keep it in its own little box and isn't "really" canon. Star Trek Into Darkness is a film I absolutely detest, so it even made me think of the Abramsverse as that much more separate. The irony is that the same man who tampered with a franchise I really am a fan of, Star Trek, is now in charge of Star Wars, and I get how someone feels about rejecting the new Disney movies.

But for me, I am going to hold judgement until I actually see Star Wars TFA. If I like it, I will consider it canon. If not, I won't . I think for me, it is going to depend mostly on the feel of the movie. If it feels like a generic summer blockbuster movie, in much the same way STID did, then yeah, Star Wars TFA will be in the same box as the newer Star Trek reboot films, as far as I am concerned.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.