What Do Casual Fans Do That Annoys You?

Zerimar Nyliram

I just had a casual fan (my coworker) try to quote Han Solo in ESB. In the scene after he was tortured on Bespin and taken back to the cell, Han says to Chewie, "I feel terrible."

My coworker and I were having a conversation and he decided to quote Han from this scene. Only my coworker said "I don't feel so good." He then looks at me like, don't you recognize that line? And since I say nothing, rather than just look at me he asks, "where's that from?" I tell him I don't have the slightest idea. He then starts mocking me in front of all our other coworkers, "haha, you're not a true fan" and blah blah blah about me not knowing Star Wars. So I'm like, what are you talking about? And he points out he's quoting Han in said ESB Bespin scene. At which time I have to slap him down by telling him, Han says "I feel terrible" not "I don't feel so good." He stops laughing and is like, are you sure? I think you're just saying that because I caught you not knowing about Star Wars.

So I had to pull out the youtube clip to prove it to him that I was right. Needless to say, this is a prime example of what bugs me about casual fans. They talk about Star Wars, get something wrong, act like they are 100% correct and when you point out that they got it wrong, they act like you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about and try to shame you into "not being a true fan."

Or even just the casual fan throwing some random question out of left field at you (i.e. "What planet is the monster from in the background behind the pig guard in Return of the Jedi?") and when you're like, dude, I don't know what the heck you're talking about, he tries to proclaim you're not a true fan.

The best part is after they make fun of you for not knowing, and then you prove them wrong, then they laugh it off and call you a nerd and why the hell should he have known that in the first place. So you lose and they win either way. I hate people like that, whether it's about geeky fandom or anything else.

Let's not forget Dodonna referring to a certain princess as Leeuh.

I have a RL friend named Leia. All of my friends get so pissed at me when I say it "Lay-uh" because they insist it's "Lee-uh". I don't know, but she doesn't correct either of us. So either she's annoyed at someone or her parents don't know how to pronounce their kid's own name.

I don't get why anyone would care about anyone elses opinion of their knowledge of Star Wars or why this would bother you at all.

Judging from everyone's posts so far, it has less to do with people's opinions and more to do with their insistence on their ignorant positions, in the face of evidence to the contrary, in conversation. I thought that was very clear.

My pet peeve with casual fans are the ones who say the prequels are crap... and when you ask them why they're crap they don't know or they give a vague answer because they're just following some internerd's opinion instead of forming their own.

These are usually the ones who interject any conversation by saying the prequels or the EU are crap just because they feel they have to say it even if it has nothing to do with the conversation.

I mean we all know the EU is shite...

"Falcon" and "Han" get mangled pronunciation throughout too. (Maybe it's how I want to hear it, but I always thought Han pronounced "Boba" correctly in ROTJ.)

I wondered why Fisher, Ford and JEJ pronounced falcon as "faulconn" What the Hell? Where did that come from?

Annoying casual fan stuff:

1. Assuming there were no hit sci-fi / fantasy movies or tie-in merchandise bonanzas before SW. A click and you learn, people.

2. Buying one of GL's many lightsaber choreography lies (created during the PT years) that Vader v. Kenobi (ANH) was "bad" or "slow" because screen sword fights were not advanced or as intense as what he used in the PT. The Prisoner of Zenda and The Adventures of Robin Hood's fights easily disprove that lie. Again, a click and you learn, nerds.

Oh, but I cannot forget: if they actually see golden age Hollywood sword fights which turn GL into a straight up liar, then they buy his other excuse: it was a robot--not really a man fighting an old man. I guess Dooku--with all of his acrobatic flair and power--was just wearing an old man mask, 'cause there's no way a senior citizen can fight like that, right GL? UGH.

3. Here's the insane one: back in '78 I recall a few people thinking Battlestar Galactica was somehow from the same producers of Star Wars. I am not kidding. They sucked in all of the copycat imagery and they just thought is was almost like a spin off. What--did they think GL was moonlighting? Did they miss Glen Larson's name slapped all over the credits? How about the studio logo? I guess you can confuse the Fox spotlights...with a model of the earth hanging in space.

do you insert your fingers into them the way Peter did Jesus?

I was about to be all "that was Thomas, you casual fan" but, upon consideration, I think this might just be like what Mom Mothra said in Reward of the Jedi "It is a trap door".

do you insert your fingers into them the way Peter did Jesus?

I was about to be all "that was Thomas, you casual fan" but, upon consideration, I think this might just be like what Mom Mothra said in Reward of the Jedi "It is a trap door".

I thought it was in reference to Peter's triple denial.

But the moral of the story is, both Peter and Thomas repented and were forgiven, whereas a different fate awaited a despairing Judas.

Ahem! Anyway, Sunday school trivia aside, another written-out pet peeve of mine is when people type "cannon"--in reference to the canon of Star Wars continuity--with two N's in the middle. Here's a good way to think of it: A cannon is a heavy piece of artillery, and has more N's because it does more destruction.

Example: "Disney is the Death Star cannon to the Star Wars canon."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.