What Do Casual Fans Do That Annoys You?

Zerimar Nyliram

Compared to Zerimar, I'm a casual fan.

Most people are. Get in line. ;)

Most people don't run Star Wars websites and haven't served as admins for Star Wars message boards.

:eek:

;)

When casual fans get recruited by EU-hugging, Lucas-Hating Death Star Zionists.

I try to be there to protect them whenever I can, when they walk past Death Star recruitment centers, stormtroopers telling them cosplay girls will think they're hot, they'll get to meet Mara Jade Solo at Comic-Con.

I try to help them any way I can. When one comes up to me and they know more about Asoka than the OT, it's hard. But they're not without hope.

2. People who type "Dark Side" capitalized, or "darkside" all as one word. (Although I can understand the confusion. "Force" is always capitalized, but its two manifestations--"light side" and "dark side"--are not.)

Oops. It must be like fingers on a blackboard when you come across that in my chapter summaries. :D

Mine is when someone calls it Star War. Just like that. No "s" at the end of Wars. Ugh. Or people that get it confused with Star Track....I mean Trek. Not remotely the same thing.

Oops. It must be like fingers on a blackboard when you come across that in my chapter summaries. :D

Never noticed that in particular, to be honest, but I will admit that it drives me up a wall when you write "Ventriss," mainly because other people here have latched onto it and have begun spelling it that way themselves. It's like an STD that spreads. :p

Another one is "Wookie," without the additional "e" at the end. What is ironic about this particular mistake is that it was originally "Wookee" in the early drafts of Lucas' scripts, but he later added an "i" to make it "Wookiee." So the "e's" were around before the "i" was, and have a longer-standing relationship with the word, yet it is always that second "e" that gets overlooked.

The "Star Track" mispronunciation does me in as well. My dad does it. Although I must admit that I was guilty of this myself when I was young, though mine was more of a "Star-a-track." Weird, I know. I also used to say "refroodgerator" for the longest time.

I didn't realize/care there was a second E in Wookiee until somewhat recently (like, I don't know, 3 to 5 years?). This despite being an at-one-time avid consumer of the EU and having spent a LOT of time reading various articles on WookieEpedia so it's not like I had never seen it written down.

I also used to say "refroodgerator" for the longest time.

Makes a lot of sense to me. It's where the frood goes to get refrooded so that, later, I can eat the frood and it'll still be fresh frood. Take that frood out of the refroodgerator, pop it in the migrowave, get that frood all nice all tasty so it can go down my mouth and into my insides where my belly button turns it into strength and stamina. Go out. Get more frood from the froodstore. Stick the frood in the refroodgerator --- the cycle continues.

I pose the same question to people who type "Starwars." If you're such a big fan, why can't you spell the name of the damn franchise right? It's the first thing that appears on the screen after "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . ."

R.C.: Yep, pretty much. Except that I didn't pronounce the "oo" the way sounds in "food." It was more like the "oo" in "hood."

Bubba/Bahbah Fett mis-pronunciation gets me. "He's my favorite character. He's the coolest." Really? Then how come you have so much trouble getting his name right?

Well from my memory the first time we hear his name actually said in a movie is during the battle at Jabba's when Han says "Boba Fett? Boba Fett? where?". And he says it very much like "Bah Bah Fett".

I don't really see characters mispronouncing names as a problem. I mean in real life people mispronounce names all the time. It's like in old John Ford Westerns, if you watch alot of times characters slip when getting on or off their horses, or guns misfired. Ford always kept that in the movie because it was more real to him, people sometimes slip, guns sometimes misfire. People mispronounce names.

This topic reminds me of when I was at Celebration 3 in Indy. My friend Aaron and I were in line for something and I was doing Star Wars small talk with two other guys in front of me.

One of these guys asks the other about when Han said "Then I'll see you in hell" if Han was talking about the same hell that we refer to here on Earth or some other different hell that exists separately in their universe.

I turn to my friend, who is about to burst into laughter. I started laughing too, thankfully. Because at first, I was so annoyed by this guy I wanted to hit him.

This topic reminds me of when I was at Celebration 3 in Indy. My friend Aaron and I were in line for something and I was doing Star Wars small talk with two other guys in front of me.

One of these guys asks the other about when Han said "Then I'll see you in hell" if Han was talking about the same hell that we refer to here on Earth or some other different hell that exists separately in their universe.

I turn to my friend, who is about to burst into laughter. I started laughing too, thankfully. Because at first, I was so annoyed by this guy I wanted to hit him.

I've never thought about that. What are the views on the afterlife in SW? There are Force ghosts but it doesn't seem like anyone knew about those until Qui-Gon started doing it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.