Trigger Warnings, Safe Spaces, Infantilization that MUST be satire... right?

Pong Messiah

OK, I've asked before if they were trolling us. And as the escalation of sensitivity continues, we've reached a point where its examples are reading like something you'd find in The Onion... I mean, no one is that hysterical and thin-skinned, right?

The safe space, Ms Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments "troubling" or "triggering," a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets, and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma. Emma Hall, a junior, rape survivor and "sexual assault peer educator" who helped set up the room and worked in it during the debate, estimated that a couple of dozen people used it. At one point, she went to the lecture hall -- it was packed -- but after a while, she had to return to the safe space. "I was feeling bombarded by a lot of viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs," Ms. Hall said.

Holy crap. Didn't fainting rooms die out with the Victorian era? Or were those wacky doctors with their theories about female hysteria actually on to something?

Please be gentle in responding to this post. I don't know how I will handle if it you bombard me with viewpoints that go against my dearly and closely held beliefs.

:eek:

The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma.

This is raising REAL red flags with me. I suspect that either the article itself is satire, or the room itself as described is.

Holy crap. Didn't fainting rooms die out with the Victorian era? Or were those wacky doctors with their theories about female hysteria actually on to something?

It's all come back, because history is cyclical. That Victorian attitudes towards women would return disguised as feminism, however ... that's perhaps the best example of a full circle revolution as any I've heard of in a long while.

Oof! There has definitely been more and more of this kind of "I don't want to hear ideas different than my own" mentality running around the last few years. There's so much desire to shelter kids and when they come smack into real life, it's ugly. There is a lot of new parenting thought about self-esteem and how you shouldn't tell your child "no" because it's damaging to them. You know what? My kid had better learn real fast that you don't get to do everything you want. I'm fine with some of this "re-direction theory" but kids start to push back after awhile. Occasionally I have to stand my ground with my kid, or she's going to run all over me. I'd rather her learn that with me than with her first boss.

As for whether the article is satire, I don't think it is, unfortunately. The author makes some really good points without using the terms "dumbasses" and "morons", which I'm not so sure I would have been able to do.

This is raising REAL red flags with me. I suspect that either the article itself is satire, or the room itself as described is.

There's a pro entertainment writer I follow on Twitter who linked to the same article the other day. He said of all the people he's heard from about it, college students insist it's not that bad, while all the professors insisted it's that bad and worse.

1. The philosophy in raising kids in general today is that ....

A. My child is so special.

B. I have to solve all my childs problems because they are so special.

C. My child never lies and always tells the truth.

2. Examples of how we coddle kids today.

A. Field days at school no longer are competitions for 1st place, 2nd place etc... Because everyone is a winner.

B.Teachers cannot gives zeros as grades anymore and the lowest grade is a 50%. If you give a zero it lowers all the kids self esteem, and makes it too hard for students to pass.

Anyway just a few examples of how weak of a generation we are creating currently. Thank God there are still a few good parents out there who do not allow or do the following,however too many are and that is scary.

Dooooood! we can't even afford field day although we do a visit to the park or zoo or the Witte at the end of the school year. And wow. I am blown away by that 50% thing. I also teach in a district that does not celebrate holidays. There is no exchange of valentines cards like in Charlie Brown or a Christmas gift exchange.

He said of all the people he's heard from about it, college students insist it's not that bad, while all the professors insisted it's that bad and worse.

I can totally see that. It is doubtful a large percentage of college kids actually take that kind of stuff seriously, while it is likely professors receive their most fierce and urgent communications from the college kids who do.

:eek:

Guest El Chalupacabra

This is why I wish the Earth would just hurry up and crack in two, and swallow all of humanity into a gaping fiery maw.

I can sort of see people being "triggered" when they've really truly been through something terrible. Gang rape victims and people like that. People who'd have cause to have some kind of post traumatic stress issues. I still don't think the entirety of academia should be tailored to suit their sensitivities, but you can see how such people might have a hard time with certain issues.

But when it's strictly academic in nature ... yeah. First they come flat out and teach these kids that any kind of dissent from their favorite ideology is itself an exercise of privilege and thereby an act of oppression. Then they mollycoddle the same kids based on their reflex responses to precisely that happening. These kinds of stupid trends in social science academia is the head of the serpent as far as political correctness and its sundry corrosive effects on our culture are concerned.

Yep I have to give a student who did nothing a 50%!!!

Yet I will be held responsible for the learning gains of the same student and have my pay determined on how all my students do on a test. Lucky for me I only have about 8 students who do nothing so it shouldnt affect me too much but still 50% for doing nothing.

Think of how all the students who care think about this.

I think it is a grand scheme by shrinks and pharmacutical companies to stay in business for the long term.

We will have a high percentage of our population that cannot deal with stress or problem solving and resort to therapy and anti depressants. Then add in all the bad food we eat as Americans that contribute to health issues and we are doomed.

When I was a kid field day was the day to put up or shut up. All year kids would talk crap about being the best grade level class. It always came down to the tug of war event to prove who was the top class. It was competitive and fun.

Guest TheRuralJuror

This is very real and a phenomenon that has been growing on college campuses across the country. I believe social justice is in fact a form of female hysteria (which is a very real concept that I did not believe in until a FEMINIST ex of mine convinced me it happens)

I had a sister-in-law (WHO IS AN EDUCATOR!!!) who would not allow any games to be played for points-even ****ing SCRABBLE-in her home so there would be no pressure on her daughter to win.

Many years ago, I was playing chess with my girlfriend, when an older male relative (and true-believing Marxist) decided to intervene and let us know how bad games like that were for our developing minds. Chess was apparently one of those awful, zero-sum, capitalist games that rewarded nasty traits like competition, aggression, etc... and wouldn't it be nice if we could just enjoy a nice meal together or go somewhere and play one of those *wink wink* games where nobody has to lose?

Was creepy.

I am pretty sure his mindset is still pretty rare/extreme, but it always makes me kinda sad when I see or hear of that kind of "NO COMPETITION EVERYBODY WINS!" thinking trickle down into the toolbox of otherwise normal parents.

Often. But not 100% of the time. The odd kid really does have some kind of neurological issues. This was true of my older boy in his first few years of school. Things have improved with age, treatment and a proper educational setting. But in the beginning ... I always felt bad because he had such a hard go of it and was challenging for the teachers and admin staff. But I sort of see this from the other side too - the insinuations from the principal that we were s××ty parents when, in fact, it was a bona fide neurological disorder at work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.