New research: smiling at and being warm and patient with women is sexist!

Pong Messiah

I hardly ever smile at women. Or at all, come to that. Study debunked.

New research: hyperbolic and overblown takes on feminism generate controversy, which results in more viewings and shares for the article, which ultimately allows the host site greater advertising revenues.

Similar studies have found that the joke is on anyone who takes this kind of idiocy at face value. This correlates with research that shows that most women would prefer men smile, at least ones they find attractive. This study is not likely to be made public, however. Funds for a study suggesting some kind of collective death wish on part of the online feminist community have yet to be procured, despite growing evidence that this may well be the case.

More studies are expected to occur, as long as MRAs and insecure young males - fearful that the latest such study of this nature will mean that they will never get laid EVER - continue to freak out and over-react whenever the internet posts stuff like this, guranteeing a market for it well into the foreseeable future.

How do people rationalize funding for studies like this?

Because it pays. Controversy like this has been the one online business model to survive the dot.com melt down.

Welcome to dystopia, RM. Not the 1984 or Brave New World we all grew up fearing. No. Our future is Jerry Springer. Endless recurring cycles of controversy for controversy's sake.

Because it pays. Controversy like this has been the one online business model to survive the dot.com melt down.

Welcome to dystopia, RM. Not the 1984 or Brave New World we all grew up fearing. No. Our future is Jerry Springer. Endless recurring cycles of controversy for controversy's sake.

From a reporting standpoint, I totally agree. It's all about the clicks.

But there really are people who, from a 100% honest and no-trolling position, believe that a man giving his coat up for a shivering woman is "benevolent sexist" and a Really, Really Bad Thing that Holds Women Down. Using controversy and outrage to shine a spotlight on various social issues is an effective, if time-worn tactic, but it doesn't mean the provocateurs are cynical or insincere in their beliefs. Unlike Kurgan, I think there are lots of people in academia and the Twitter/Tumblrverse who soak in the sweet, sweet howls of their echo chamber as a form of gospel.

Good thing when I see a little old lady standing on the tube and I'm sitting, I don't get up. No. Granny can stand. And if she isn't out of my way when I need to get off ima gonna shove past her no matter. Might even drop the shoulder too if she's scowling at me (cause of the seat thing). I'm a feminist you see.

Unlike Kurgan, I think there are lots of people in academia and the Twitter/Tumblrverse who soak in the sweet, sweet howls of their echo chamber as a form of gospel.

Not so fast on the draw there, Tex. It's not that there aren't cranks who believe this stuff with full sincerity. There no doubt are. But rather that they are a kind of "fifth column", useful idiots so to speak. They're being played, and it is at the long term expense of feminism that this is being done.

What I would call your attention to is the gap between what the study and article actually suggest (that men with somewhat more old fashioned values and attitudes smile at women more) and the impression that the wording of the headline and opening sentences leave you with: the vastly more inflamatory notion that smiling at women is of itself a sexist act.

This is not the only article of its kind that I've seen. It's actually quite standard practice in media treatment of feminist issues. As an example, something I saw in the Huffpost a few months back suggested a link between romantic overtures (giving flowers and so on) and domestic abuse. The actual substance of the article was that a guy who is abusive can make romantic overtures out of remorse in an attempt to "win back" his victim in a kind of honeymoon phase. BUT the wording of the headline and opening sentence rather heavily implied (very importantly without stating directly) that romantic overtures themselves were a form of abuse. At the very least, the two concepts were used in close association with one another. Repeatedly. The subtext was unmistakable.

What I'm saying then is that media is working on multiple levels to acheive different effects for different people. Headlines are worded carefully to grab attention. In cases like these, "feminism" is exploited as a means of implicitly trying to cut off male means of expressing romantic (and by implicit extent, sexual) intentions towards women. The real message is unmistakable: there will be no question of who calls the shots between the sexes. Of course, this is never stated directly (as it quite explicitly contradicts feminist pretenses of "mere equality"), and the much more moderate and reasonable (though still perhaps inacurate) main substance of the study may then be seized upon, with the condescending tone so typical of a feminist SJW putting an "ignorant male" in his place, along with lots of ego stroking "likes" for our girl hero and the insecure male left wondering what the hell just happened.

Expressed disinterest in and skepticism of intimate relationships with men, at least in public forums, is a useful device for many women, but not because a huge segment of the female population are raging Dworkinites. The position of sexual gatekeeper affords them many social advantages, which I won't get into right now. The one thing it ultimately costs them, however, is the heart and soul of true gender equity, and is the true source of the MRA trolls that headlines like this troll in turn. What should be made clear however is that the LAST THING these women want is an end to male interest in intimacy with women. This whole little game will unravel very quickly were men to call the bluff and walk away.

The punch line of the whole article, I'd suggest, is that any concept of gender equality so fragile that it is threatened by so much as a man's smile at a woman has no business condemning anyone or anything for being "paternalistic."

Good for you. Pregnancy is a social construct. Make those "pregnant" women stand so they know you trust them to give birth the same way you would any man. It's an urgent matter of equality and respect that has been far too long in coming.

Word. Just to clarify, I was being facetious. I give up my seat for a little old lady or a pregnant woman with a sore back every time. I'd give up my seat for an old man or a guy carrying a kid too. The concept of chivalry is kind of odd to me. It's kind of like, you should treat anyone like that not just women. It's being polite. But I find it even more odd that people would take offence at chivalry being some kind of "benign sexism".

Guest El Chalupacabra

Good thing when I see a little old lady standing on the tube and I'm sitting, I don't get up. No. Granny can stand. And if she isn't out of my way when I need to get off ima gonna shove past her no matter. Might even drop the shoulder too if she's scowling at me (cause of the seat thing). I'm a feminist you see.

As long as you don't go man-spreading! Because that's sexist too.

The sample size in this study is TINY, and is comprised ENTIRELY of college kids. That hormone-overloaded demographic clearly wouldn't skew any results and should totally be applied to make conclusions about society as a whole.

This isn't a study. It sounds more like a research paper done by a student for a sociology class or something, received an A, and because of it's controversial nature, was bought and paid for so it could be published online.

This isn't a study. It sounds more like a research paper done by a student for a sociology class or something, received an A, and because of it's controversial nature, was bought and paid for so it could be published online.

BINGO!

That's what I keep saying. This is all an online business model now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.