ROGUE ONE

Mara Jade Skywalker

I'm the first person to say that there will never be a movie that mines the Eu for anything-- but I'm pretty sure it will be be about an X-Wing pilot.

The term may not be as recognizable as JEDI, but it's one of the few Star Wars things that has expanded to all media-- books, comics, toys, video games and has a pretty strong sub-set of fandom dedicated to it.

I'm sure the story will be original-- I think anyone hoping for a movie starring Wedge is probably dreaming-- but as a designation for a pilot, I don't doubt it at all.

I think there's a difference between the EU being the first instance of exposure of one of Lucas' ideas (i.e., "Coruscant" was supposedly always in his back story, under whatever name, as a shout out to Asimov's Trantor) being in an EU medium, and the films incorporating original ideas from the EU. It's not as though Coruscant as a place name, or that it is (was?) an ecumenopolis, were plot-relevant.

No one wants the audience to have to read a book or comic, or play a game, to be able to follow a plot. Any plot relevant details that require exposition might as well be original rather than EU-sourced, since it is the same amount of time wasted in the story.

1. Rogue Squadron is canon. Whether or not it's an exclusive starfighter group or a hybrid ground/starfighter group doesn't matter. (The EU has them doing both ground and space operations anyway.) The names "Rogue One" and "Rogue Squadron" have very specific connotations in this universe that have nothing to do with the EU.

2. Rogue Squadron exists across film, novels, comics, and video games. It's not an obscure tie-in novel series. If you're going to bash the EU, at least get it right.

3. I have no doubt the films will mine the EU for worldbuilding stuff at the very least, just as The Clone Wars did and Rebels is doing right now. Nobody's expecting them to make a movie based on the EU, but bringing in characters, planets, and even plot points? Why wouldn't they?

4. It was 12 hours before I saw my first "chicks can't drive" joke. I'm disappointed in you, Internet.

Here's my guess for the time capsule:

It's about the original Rogue Squadron, before Luke and Wedge came on to scene, early days of the Alliance. A hot shot pilot has to put together a team for a suicide gun-running mission and she recruits smugglers, bounty hunters and former Imperial pilots to make it happened. They are misfits with a job to do, but end up seeing the light ala Han in ANH and become the first special missions group for the Alliance as they go from smaller resistance cells as seen in Rebels, to the full fledged Alliance that we see in the OT.

Sounds like Wraith Squadron. :)

EU material is obscure, Mara. You continue to hold a skewed view of the relative importance of über fans to the financial bottom line of the SW product. Whatever "Rogue" was before, we can be sure it's something else now. Han and Leia had kids named "Jacen" and "Jaina" before, and now where are they? My personal dislike for the EU has not influenced my prediction that producers are not interested in catering to EU fans at any level.

At any rate, my prediction is recorded and we will see if I'm right or not soon enough.

Probably. They didn't say "Ewok" in ROTJ (so what are they?), and is Endor the forested planet/satellite, or the gas giant?

And where is Rogue "canon" (whatever that is) now, Mara? What line of dialogue in what children's cartoon, or what obscure RPG guide book, is Rogue Squadron still canon?

okay was that a bad example sorry

how about instead on August 7, 2001 when pavonis heard that the title of episode II was announced as ATTACK OF THE CLONES was he all like "I bet this is going to be about this new bad guy couple called Mr. and Mrs. Clone, yeah that must be it, only some sort of crazy EU fan would remember one line from Leia's little You Are Our Only Hope speech"

Probably. They didn't say "Ewok" in ROTJ (so what are they?), and is Endor the forested planet/satellite, or the gas giant?

And where is Rogue "canon" (whatever that is) now, Mara? What line of dialogue in what children's cartoon, or what obscure RPG guide book, is Rogue Squadron still canon?

Rogue Squadron is directly referred to several times in Empire Strikes Back during the Battle of Hoth.

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, I get what you're trying to say. But I think you're pushing it a little too much on this one.

My apologies - I forgot about the Rogue Squadron airspeeders. I guess my knowledge of physics is pushing out entertainment trivia.

And yet, this omission on my part highlights the larger point. How many casual fans remember Rogue Squadron? How many remember it at all? I wasn't even really aware of it being anything other than just the collection of airspeeders on Hoth for many years.

If Jacen and Jaina can be dropped in favor of Rey (and is Rey the daughter of Han and Leia, or just Han?!) then what makes Rogue worth rescuing from the scrapped EU material?

Because the EU sucks! Or something.

Nobody in this thread is saying anything about the Expanded Universe. Yes, I love the Rogue Squadron books. But my excitement for this movie is because it's going to be about pilots, regardless of whether it borrows anything from the books. If it does (and I'm not expecting that it will!) that will be a bonus.

But why would they purposely take a phrase that's already established, regardless how obscure it is or isn't, and change it to something completely different just because they can, instead of using something completely original?

I think this is the key here. They literally have every word in the dictionary to name a movie with, to pick something that has a deep mythology attached to it even with out general population awareness seems silly.

Honestly, my plot guess would be the same even if it was called "Poopyface One." If you say the words "Star Wars and "Red Five" to an average person they are going to get it. There's no logic between using the term Rogue One if it isn't about a pilot.

My apologies - I forgot about the Rogue Squadron airspeeders. I guess my knowledge of physics is pushing out entertainment trivia.

Translation: I am realizing I am wrong, so i am going to just slip in this part about me being a super genius and still better than the nerds so I still win.

aka: Pulling a Justus

And yet, this omission on my part highlights the larger point. How many casual fans remember Rogue Squadron?

So many! Or at least the ones who don't have this knowledge of physics to push out their memories of all the scenes in all of the movies where all of the pilots in all of their spaceships talk on all of their radios and say all of the things like "Red Two, standing by" and "Gold Leader, come in" and "Rogue Two, we found 'em" over and over all of the time.

It requires a willful level of obtuseness on your part, and what's more, a belief that all others must share in your own literalmindedness to think that this movie is going to be about something other than what everyone else can readily assume it's going to be about and what the people who chose this title would have to almost assuredly believe their audience would think it would be about. All of human life and experience and motivation is a glorious mystery but I still think that the same set of expectations and associations which led the Star Wars people to make Rogue Squadron videogames and Rogue Squadron novels and Rogue Squadron comic books means this movie called Rogue One is going to be about those Rogues and not some other set of bounty hunter Rogues.

tldr = ROGUE ONE starring Felicity Jones will be about a droid named ROGUE-1; it's so clear and obvious

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.