ROGUE ONE

Mara Jade Skywalker

Based on what (little) we've heard so far, I'll take that bet. This is the common person's Star Wars movie. Which I think is awesome. I wouldn't want an entire series like that, but the Anthology films exploring that sector of the overall Galaxy should be awesome

• 1 month later...

Based on what (little) we've heard so far, I'll take that bet. This is the common person's Star Wars movie. Which I think is awesome. I wouldn't want an entire series like that, but the Anthology films exploring that sector of the overall Galaxy should be awesome

I agree in general but this movie is a possible chance to get Darth Vader into the movie. I could see him using one.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I agree in general but this movie is a possible chance to get Darth Vader into the movie. I could see him using one.

Well, since Peter Cushing is long dead, and if they want to have villain continuity, I think it makes sense to at the very least have Darth Vader and the Emperor make cameos, if they recast Tarkin or introduce a completely new main villain for the movie.

Hopefully, that's saved for the proper central trilogies. If the stand-alone films are supposed to be different, that's the first change/omission.

Come to think of it, I don't think the Ewok films had the crawl, just voice-over narration.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The more pics I see of the OT cast in TFA the more nervous I become.

I think Han looks fine in the shots we've seen of him. The pics of Leia don't look good, but they aren't from the movie actually.

Well, I am not so much bothered by the fact that the OT cast has aged (some badly), because it seems they will be little more than background characters. I am more scared of the unnecessary wink wink nudge nudge Easter eggs that will cause my eyes to roll.

Whereas Rogue One, even though it may ultimately undo and de-canonize (as far as video games can be, anyway) the events of the force unleashed and Dark Forces, might actually turn out to be a cool Dirty Dozen style film set in the Star Wars universe.

Every Star Wars video game has had a crawl and they just give the title with no episode number and it's fine.

It occurred to me that ANH originally didn't have an episode number in the crawl, and it wasn't added until the re-release.

As I still try to wrap my mind around the idea of "video game canon" ...

Well, I am not so much bothered by the fact that the OT cast has aged (some badly), because it seems they will be little more than background characters. I am more scared of the unnecessary wink wink nudge nudge Easter eggs that will cause my eyes to roll.

I'm scared of this too. The Star Trek reboot was PAINFUL in this regard.

How much of that was the writers, though?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, you can forgive the Easter Eggs in the first Trek reboot to an extent because it is the first in the series and it was trying to establish its own universe while maintaining a connection to the old, but STID was intolerable.

I don't consider video games official canon and don't expect the game stories to be adhered to, and I don't expect non-gamers to even get it. I just consider some games part of my personal canon, if that makes sense. Especially when I have spent dozens of hours playing a particular game.

Will this have the typical SW scroll?

It might but I'm betting now The Force Awakens doesn't. There'll probably be some twist : it'll either come a few minutes into the action or possibly at the very end of the movie. Or maybe maybe with the usual placement right at the top but integrated into the film itself in a way that hasn't been done so far.

And yeah I could be wrong and they'll just go the traditional route but just in case they don't I want to be able to point to this post in the future and be all like "I won this bet with myself!".

[Edit : just in case Nightly isn't around in six months I just want to let you know that I will be pointing at the sky instead and saying "I won a bet with myself. No evidence now remains but the sky itself stands in testimony of my wager!" and hopefully at that very moment a thunderstorm will begin, a real big thunderstorm with lots of rain, very dramatic, camera pulls back at me standing in the rain like Tim Robbins in Shawshank]

• 5 weeks later...

Is it bad that I am actually becoming more excited for Rogue one than TFA?

I think I'm with you on that one. It's probably because I've been wondering for 38 years just how the rebels managed to steal the plans to the Death Star, and we still don't know all that much about Episode 7. I'm hoping that Rogue One is a code name for the people who actually steal the plans (I'm thinking either bounty hunters or Bothans), and I'm looking forward to going back into the universe right before Episode 4. I'm hoping it's very dark, very gritty, and that it has some really vicious stormtroopers that can actually shoot, and that a LOT of rebels die in the process of stealing the plans (similar to the Hoth battle), which will make the destruction of the Death Star in Ep 4 even that much more satisfying. I think I also would enjoy a movie with no Jedi or lightsabers, but I'm doubtful that Disney would be willing to do that. I definitely don't want Obi Wan in this movie, but it might be fun to see Darth Vader leading a squad of storm troopers and the rebels hopelessly trying to fight against him with no Jedi on their side.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.