ROGUE ONE

Mara Jade Skywalker

I AM JUST A LITTLE BIT EXCITED!!!!!!!!

First standalone will be released in December 2016, starring Felicity Jones, and will be called ROGUE ONE!

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

I think we have been previously aware of the sped-up/normal timeline too. That may have been in the initial announcement, or shortly thereafter.

But yeah I think this is bad ass. One of the few(?) standalone movies that would get me really excited. Beyond normal "oh wow star wars" levels.

I love how someone says "meh". I mean you can't really gleam anything from this other than it probably deals with an Alliance Fighter squadron, right?

I mean I get that you don't like that they made the EU "not real" or whatever. But NONE OF IT IS REAL. They didn't come and take the books off your book shelf. Who the hell cares. I mean geez.

I'd hoped for a rebooted X-Wing novel series, maaaaaaaybe a TV show, but a Rogue Squadron movie? Never in my wildest dreams did I think it'd actually happen. I am so flipping excited, I feel like it's Christmas. Just knowing it's about X-wings is enough for now. Hopefully they tell us some more (like time frame, character names maybe) at Celebration in April.

This is way better than the stupid young Han Solo or Boba Fett rumors.

I'm good with Felicity Jones. :yes:

Excited to hear some more about this. I'll agree it's way better than young Han Solo. I really hope they just keep that one for the books.

There were rumors awhile back that this movie had something to do with getting the death star plans. It could still fit in with the X-wings somehow.. hmm.

Also, could this be the first Star Wars movie without any Jedi at all? I would be completely cool with that.

I love how someone says "meh". I mean you can't really gleam anything from this other than it probably deals with an Alliance Fighter squadron, right?

I mean I get that you don't like that they made the EU "not real" or whatever. But NONE OF IT IS REAL. They didn't come and take the books off your book shelf. Who the hell cares. I mean geez.

Hey, if I had to put up with people on here bitching and moaning about the EU for years, you're gonna hear me bitch and moan about the FU (False Universe) now, dammit! ;)

Here's my guess for the time capsule:

It's about the original Rogue Squadron, before Luke and Wedge came on to scene, early days of the Alliance. A hot shot pilot has to put together a team for a suicide gun-running mission and she recruits smugglers, bounty hunters and former Imperial pilots to make it happened. They are misfits with a job to do, but end up seeing the light ala Han in ANH and become the first special missions group for the Alliance as they go from smaller resistance cells as seen in Rebels, to the full fledged Alliance that we see in the OT.

Man. They should hire me.

But not for this-- I still have my Obi-Wan movie all figured out.

I wouldn't count on it being about an X-wing squadron from some obscure tie-in novels from the last decade. I bet it's about bounty hunters.

Wat

I am serious. I doubt it is about what SW fans think "Rogue" implies. Just ask any of the millions of people in the target audience (not the fan base) whether they can name any fighter squadron in any of the movies. I doubt anyone would name one correctly (at best only Red Squadron). Rogue Squadron just isn't that high profile, certainly not enough to make a movie that they want millions to see when only thousands are aware of it. I doubt that any producers are worried about the implications of using the word "rogue" as part of the title, because relatively few people know about Rogue Squadron, and even those that do will still go see it.

Face it - Disney doesn't care about the EU. If they did we'd not have these new films breaking the old EU. Marketing to the old EU fans isn't necessary because they're such a small percentage of the target.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.