Journey to The Force Awakens

Mara Jade Skywalker

I'm mostly posting this for Lucas1138, who's probably the only other person who still reads/cares about the EU, both past and present.

EW Announces Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The important stuff:

• Del Rey is publishing Aftermath, the first post-Return of the Jedi novel set in the new canon. This is the big one. As I'm first and foremost a post-RotJ fan, I'm both really excited and really petrified. A lot will depend on who the author is. I'm expecting them to announce that at Celebration. I'm hoping for Tim Zahn, expecting John Jackson Miller or James Luceno, dreading Troy Denning.
  • Marvel is publishing two comics, Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens and another prequel told from 3PO's perspective. Even though I usually don't read comics, I might have to pick the first one up depending on where it sits in the timeline.
  • There's also at least four young adult novels: Moving Target by Cecil Castellucci (about Leia), The Weapon of Jedi by Jason Fry (about Luke), Smuggler's Run by Greg Rucka (about Han), and Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (a romance with unannounced characters). I am really excited that Jason Fry is writing the Luke book. He's done great work on the Essential Guides, as well as Star Wars young reader books and his own original series. Plus, he's a cool guy. (And I did not like the most recent Luke book, so hopefully this one will be better.)
  • STICKER BOOKS.

I think that's the important stuff. Not sure yet when any of these books will come out, and a big question mark is The Force Awakens novelization, both in regards to release date and author.

My days of intently consuming the EU are likely over, or at least on hiatus, but I am not at all averse to seeing what the new regime has to offer. I'm a completist, and I love reading about past and future histories of worlds I am invested in, even if it only turns out to be synopses on wookieepedia.

Excited to see where it goes.

Like you, I'm probably most excited for the first post-RotJ novel. I may read that if for no other reason than to whet the appetite until December.

I'll stay away from the YA stuff barring high praise from you or others.

I'll also stay away from the TFA novel until after I've seen the movie. Reading the AotC novelization beforehand ruined the movie for me... well, helped ruin it.

Smuggler's Run by Greg Rucka

!!!

You're not the first person I've seen have this reaction about Rucka.

I'll also stay away from the TFA novel until after I've seen the movie. Reading the AotC novelization beforehand ruined the movie for me... well, helped ruin it.

I really hope they don't publish the novelization before the movie comes out, because if so I'm going to have to leave the internet entirely or just go ahead and read the book because I might as well spoil myself before anyone else does. I'll be really pissed if Abrams has been super secretive and MYSTERY BOX all this time, only to release the damn novelization weeks in advance of the movie.

Smuggler's Run by Greg Rucka

!!!

You're not the first person I've seen have this reaction about Rucka.

It's my de facto response any time a guy from comics show up anywhere outside of comics. Even if, strictly speaking, the guy isn't best defined as being "from" comics exclusively since he's had a parallel career in both original and licensed prose for all the time I've been reading him on Batman or whatever and I think he might have even started out in books too plus it's not like the world of YA Star Wars books is all that far removed from mainstream comics these days (hey, you know who'd be a great choice for new Star Wars books? Peter David!!!) and I'm not real good at sentences so a period will go at the end of this word now.

I really hope they don't publish the novelization before the movie comes out, because if so I'm going to have to leave the internet entirely or just go ahead and read the book because I might as well spoil myself before anyone else does. I'll be really pissed if Abrams has been super secretive and MYSTERY BOX all this time, only to release the damn novelization weeks in advance of the movie.

WHAT ABOUT THE STUPID SOUNDTRACK!?!? *grumble*

Well, Quinn's probably in for a sticker book. She had Star Wars Rebels valentines this year. How essential do you think these will be for seeing the movie? Would I be better off going in blind?

Thankfully I think they learned their lesson from the TPM soundtrack. But yeah, they can wait to release that, too!

I don't think Aftermath will be essential. However, it will probably help set the stage for the landscape in The Force Awakens. I'm going to read it for that reason alone, because I need to prepare myself for things to be different. :p

I'm mostly posting this for Lucas1138, who's probably the only other person who still reads/cares about the EU, both past and present.

Actually, not only did I just finish reading Tarkin, I also read A New Dawn. I'm also still reading Star Wars comic books.

I wonder if they will reboot Thrawn and make him green

<frantically googles for a good picture of Vril Dox from the R.E.B.E.L.S. series and comes up empty>

There's precedent! Yoda was originally blue.

<frantically googles for a good picture of Sesame Street's Grover in a robe and comes up empty>

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah given its Abrams I'd be SHOCKED if the book comes out before the movie. That's not happening and thank god.

Both Star Trek reboot movies had pre-movie Countdown comics released in conjunction with the movies, and if I remember right, they were released a few months prior to the movies.

Maybe same thing here?

Guest El Chalupacabra

AH. Quite different. Yeah I have to agree with you then. May be released around the same time as the movie, but I would be surprised if it were before the movie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.