Plot Holes and Artistic License in "A New Hope"

The Kurgan

Okay, so we're fans. But we're not unobservant. I found these videos on YouTube that don't take Star Wars quite so seriously. Producing and directing so iconic and enjoyable a film was not, and indeed could not be done without taking HUGE liberties with plot structure, scientific and logistical oddities, and character conduct that is much more justified by the needs of the story itself than by logic and in-universe rational thought.

Some of the observations in the videos are quite nit-picky. Some have since become iconic story tropes in their own right. Some are things you wouldn't think about until actually having them pointed out. They do not take expanded universe details into account and takes the film itself as a self contained story. Basically the way a viewer would have seen it back in the late 70s. They were not done with the intention of "bashing" the film, and the narrator reminds us that ultimately, SW works not because of its tight scientific and logical structure but because it is a story that "prioritizes emotion and good vs evil philosophical content. It is basically a magical fairy tale very cleverly packaged as a science fiction movie." So don't take them too serious. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9KKnCYrihs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSXJLbuaco

I didn't really get the point of it. In the first vid he mentions there are too many videos that are critical of plot holes in the prequels and not enough of the originals - that's a fair point but I don't think I've really seen a video critiquing the science of the prequels, they've all just addressed the story plot holes and bad writing throughout. This isn't like Interstellar or Gravity where the realism is important to the story, it's Star Wars. You kinda give it a free pass the minute you hear sounds in space.

This isn't like Interstellar or Gravity where the realism is important to the story, it's Star Wars. You kinda give it a free pass the minute you hear sounds in space.

The narrator of these videos does make mention of that, Wader. Pay particular attention during the last 2 minutes or so of the second video.

I'll add that these videos were done in a spirit of goofy fun rather than as a serious deconstruction of the films. If anything, watching for stuff like this just adds another dimension of fun to the film.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.