It has been FIFTEEN YEARS....

Eve

Coming up on fifteen for me too. I was fifteen years old at the time, so Nightly has been a part of things for half of my life now. Creepy.

Things are both exactly the same and radically different for me between then and now. I'm still somewhat immature and still have a ton of video games, comic books, and movies in my room. I still obsess over the same things, still refuse to grow up, and still turn to the internet to talk about those kind of things because I'm still sometimes too socially awkward to bring up those subjects in person.

Except then, I was living with my parents and practically raising my younger siblings for them because they were both too busy obsessing over their careers to worry about any other detail in life. Little did I know things would implode in that area around seven or eight years later because of that. Fifteen years later, I'm not exactly any more mature, just more seasoned and jaded. I still love the things I love, but I'm too damned afraid to sink too much passion into anything that isn't of my own making or doesn't involve the relationships important to me. What happened to my "old" family and a few professional bumps in the road of my own has made me numb to anything else.

I'm both the exact same and a completely different person at the same time. Throughout all of that, Nightly has been one of the few remaining constants.

I suspect it's the reason I didn't get interest on a few job applications.

And really....I don't blame them. Why hire someone who clearly had something happen when there is this other applicant that had their ducks in a row the whole time? It's totally fair.

Having a bad GPA is kind of like having legal problems before the NFL draft. You get offered a lower salary and have to do more than usual to catch up. Which I did, but still a lot of headache. Maybe this should be its own thread? I feel like we're hijacking it.

I've never had anyone ever ask me about schooling beyond a diploma proving I went. Even then, I just had it on my resume, I don't think anyone has ever checked. And here I'm not that worried about my son clearly only giving half a shit about his grades.

My GPA was actually pretty integral to my job but I am a teacher. I think that checking grades and comparing is ingrained into a public teachers hiring process because mostly the people in charge of hiring used to be teachers. It's one of the reasons I ended up at an inner city school. To console myself I like to think I am giving back to the community by working with poor kids but really it took me almost a decade to get a damn degree. That's kind of embarrassing. That and knowing I could have the career I wanted if I'd just focused while I had the scholarship. I literally partied myself out of a history degree (pre-law) from Rice which is not exactly Standford or Dartmouth (other schools I was accepted to but chose not to go to because I couldn't leave my family) it is still a great school to have a degree listed under. It affects me because those who can't teach. I am that example. On the silver lining side it really pushes me to help my students reach some sort of potential and see that gang-banging is a terrible option and the skies the limit if they get their act together.

I've never had anyone ever ask me about schooling beyond a diploma proving I went. Even then, I just had it on my resume, I don't think anyone has ever checked. And here I'm not that worried about my son clearly only giving half a **** about his grades.

This might depend on what you go into. With engineering, you really do need a 3.0, a 3.2 is better. I don't know how that is judged later. Employers who ask for 3.8+ for new college grads are just being a-holes. A 3.5 in engineering is super hard, a 3.8 is like, genius-level. But if you don't flunk out by sophomore year, you can pretty much get at least a 2.8.

Other majors generally require much higher GPAs, I've noticed.

Well, art is much more subjective as well. Not completely subjective, I know, but much moreso than engineering. I'll bet much more emphasis is placed on your portfolio.

Does any other profession really require a portfolio as proof of your skills?

Sometime mid summer of 1999 - I found episodeii site -joined in Aug - like everyone at the time looking for new Starwars Stuff - and early on I spent sometime posting - and have come and gone couple times - I am now 44 - still married , son is 19 - back then worked for xerox - got laid off just after sept 11 - now work in Internet Sales.

Ya early discussions were heated - Sid = Pal - lots or Politics and Climate discussions and who can forget the Naboo Wave theory ------

TPM got me wondering what Episode II would be like, so I went online looking for info and wound up here. Found the place December of 1999, lurked until my first post October of 2000 because I was scared lol.

Now? lol. 16 years later and my life's a mess and much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, worse off. I'm kind of waiting to die because I'm too much of a ***** to do it myself.

And Hoth = Frozen Kamino was mine.

Hang in there, Rock.

June 1999. As like others, found episodeii.com while searching for EP2 rumors/news/info. Joined immediately. Was 30 at the time, married for 4 years with a soon-to-be 7 year old daughter. Been in my home for 2 years at the time. Just getting into tech support. Loved the change to Nightly, and found Lando. Came back a whole hell of a lot because of Lando and the stories and such.

Now? Still here, although not as much as I should/like. Going to be 46. Don't know if you saw on FB, my wife and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Daughter is 22, and in college. I still in tech support, and really, really, really hate it. Need to do something else hopefully within the same company, so I can go back to school. Certifications. I know, at my age... My body feels like it is 46, but I never act like it. Maybe I should.

Anyway, still love the place, and many here. I guess I'll be here for as long as I can. Here is to the upcoming Star Wars movies and Nightly!!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like tomorrow is my 15th anniversary. Found this place when I was an single undergrad, now I'm a married professor. I've moved six times over these 15 years and worked at six different universities. It's been interesting. Didn't know what would happen to this place after Episode III. I certainly never expected to see Episode VII. I thought I'd become Pope before that happened, or that the apocalypse would unfold before Ep VII was announced. How wrong I was!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.