What is it called...

RamonAtila

It happens when ur watching a clip of something that was reecording usually. you have those scratchy lines at the bottom of the screen and then the characters flash green and purple for a split-second. usually it happens right before they cut away from the shot or when the character makes a sudden jolt of movement.

I remember the scratchy lines from taped shows on VHS but I don't remember the flashing colors. I think that's an internet thing. It looks like the characters just teleported. I just wanna know what that's called. Anyone?

Real answer--the frame rates of things vary-- video is 30fps, film 24, various HD formats vary in multiples of those rates depending on the intended presentation format. Often times downgrading footage for online playback creates artifacts.

The most common comes from compression schemes that analyze a picture over time and recycle pixels that don't change. So a shot of somebody standing and talking would keep the pixels of the person active, but recycle the background if it doesn't change. When they move, the entire image becomes live again. Normally you don't see it, but if you downgrade the frame rate you often get a single dropped frame, or a glitch frame between those shifts.

YouTube can playback some total crap frame rates, for years all Internet video was 15fps and a lot of amateur software used by casual video rippers still defaults to this, so artifacts are going to be worsened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.