The Greatest (Party) Generation

Pong Messiah

The Greatest (Party) Generation

I enjoyed this column in large part due to the fact that one of the people I grew up with was a WWII Navy doctor, and when that guy would throw a party... damn. You really wouldn't think people in their 60s would be capable of such levels of dancing and drinking and silliness. Barry's description really rings true, at least in my limited experience.

It also makes you wonder why parents (generally speaking) are so clingy and worried about everything now. Maybe when everybody was having 3-4 kids, there was more of a "Hey, we'll just make another one if something happens to Johhny." attitude?

:eek:

Hrmm funny article. Every old person (ww2 generation) I've met sure can handle their booze and enjoy a great shindig. Maybe the reason for that is during war time any time you get to celebrate life you make the absolute most of it. In saying that, I think my generation (born in the early 80's) have some of the most debauched and intoxicated shin digs known to man. Having said that.. Im sure every generation thinks that.

Meh, I don't know. What I read sounds like a fairly good description of my younger days - the late 80s and 1990s. There was some politically correct crap back then, but mostly it was ignored. More recently, I've seen some examples of what he's talking about - friends and family where in parent and child are bff's and go everywhere and do everything together and stuff like that. I do share his skepticism and wonder if that's really a good thing. But the "mad men" era had its drawbacks too. Different taboos and constraints on how people acted. People were tight assed about different stuff.

What I think really separates now from then is technology. We're all doing stuff like posting on the internet instead of going to or throwing parties. Even in my younger days, I got into drinking and partying mostly because my old Commodore 64 gave up the ghost and I just didn't have anything better to do. Once I started getting PCs in the late 90s, going out all the time kind of lost its luster.

That's a great point about computers. I'd bet that all of those 60 somethings who were getting hammered and dancing like fiends learned how to dance as teens or young adults because that is simply what people did in the era they grew up. I doubt anybody was using dance moves that had been invented post-1950.

Also parents "freaking out about little Johnny" these days is cause you can't turn on the news without hearing about peadophiles, murderers and local crime stories. Parents watch a lot of "news" too. In fact, if I were to accept the world view that the BBC presents me there are peadophiles and terrorists and Muslim extremists hiding in every bush.

Back in the day, I don't think there was so much danger-hype media. You could go out all day as a kid unsupervised in bare feet and your parents wouldn't bat an eyelid. But now we have peadophiles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.