What is the deal with all these hot huntresses?

Pong Messiah

I killed 80 fish yesterday in the name of science and unadulterated blood lust. I should post pictures of that to Mr. Gervais' Twitter page.

Depends. How do you look in a bikini?

Good for her. It's nice to see someone stand up to an internet torch and pitchfork mob for a change. The true nature of the do-gooders is made quite abundantly clear by the avalanche of rape and death threats that Francis has received, no doubt from the same quarters that would have a good deal to say about "rape culture" in other circumstances. The same kinds of hypocrites that jumped all over Memories Pizza for denials of service to gay couples that were not, and so on. I get the controversy surrounding trophy hunting. I'm not sure I'd condone it myself. But whatever claim to the moral high ground Francis' critics may lay claim to is forsaken by resorting to threats.

As for Ricky Gervais, he's a ****ing useless piece of shit who's engaged in nothing more than self righteous grand standing to boost his own profile, consequences to the lives of those he so self righteously seeks out be damned. Also, notice the relative lack of interest and support from the 'girl power' crowd on this one. Apparently, it's okay to single out women when the actions they engage in are not appropriate for our new definition of femininity as equating to fuzzy social justice bullshit.

Sure, the village told her to shoot that giraffe. She was going to shoot a giraffe anyway, though.

Not sure that's how it works.

How do you think it worked? Did she just happen to show up at an African village, minding her own business, and the villagers ran up to her BEGGING her to kill a giraffe?

How do you think it worked? Did she just happen to show up at an African village, minding her own business, and the villagers ran up to her BEGGING her to kill a giraffe?

No, she went there to kill something. The process is a lot more complicated than that, though. A lot of those animals Americans and Europeans consider so beautiful and lovely and practically human-like in their expression and intelligence -- just a crime to shoot -- are considered yummy and/or a big-time nuisance in Africa. Only, in a lot of places, the very people who are affected by these animals can't even touch them. I.e. you can't hunt them legally without going through the proper channels, and it is probably gonna cost big bucks (like the kinda money a rich tourist would have, not you or your neighbor). So while the villagers were prolly quite keen on her shooting the giraffe so they could have the meat, make jewelry out of it, etc. she was most likely approached by a third party (somebody with more economic and legal power) regarding the giraffe, and got permission to shoot it that way.

Trying to think of an analogous situation....

I think it'd be like living in New Jersey and not being allowed to shoot a black bear walking your back yard due to legal or financial constraints. But through a third-party, some wealthy Russian hunter is able to fly in, pay all the fees (or pay people off) and kill it for you. While you probably appreciate it since you can now let your dog and/or children walk in the back safely, it's not like you ever approached the Russian dude, or even meet him, it is all handled through other channels.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Trying to think of an analogous situation....

I think it'd be like living in New Jersey and not being allowed to shoot a black bear walking your back yard due to legal or financial constraints. But through a third-party, some wealthy Russian hunter is able to fly in, pay all the fees (or pay people off) and kill it for you. While you probably appreciate it since you can now let your dog and/or children walk in the back safely, it's not like you ever approached the Russian dude, or even meet him, it is all handled through other channels.

That totally makes sense. Just like that episode on the Sopranos.

are you being serious or sarcastic? i never watched that show

While I have no interest in hunting personally, as long as the animal doesn't go to waste (i.e. you use as much of it as possible to feed and clothe people), I don't have any moral problem with it.

If you eat meat, it comes off as hypocritical to me to hate on hunting. I just don't understand how it's OK to force a cow to live on a farm its whole life, manage every aspect of its limited existence, and kill it when it's big enough.... but oh man, if you feed yourself or others by giving a quick, clean death* to an animal that has lived a good life, you're some kinda toothless cretin worth nothing but scorn and I hope you die.

Now if you are vegetarian for moral reasons and hate hunters, I can accept that. At least it comes off as having stemmed from an honest concern for animals, not just an excuse to spew on those who aren't like you with so much puffed-up bull**** moral outrage.

*way faster and likely less terrifying than getting torn to shreds by a pack of hungry cats when the animal gets too old or sick to run!

I killed 80 fish yesterday in the name of science and unadulterated blood lust. I should post pictures of that to Mr. Gervais' Twitter page.

Depends. How do you look in a bikini?

Well, being that I'm a man, my tits need some work. Otherwise, curves and hair in all the wrong places.

Yeah, hunters are some of the biggest critics of trophy hunting. It's not like we're talking about a large or much loved group of people here.

I personally think it's weird, and have never understood the desire to keep an animal's head, paw, tusk, horn, etc... as a keepsake after the kill, but whatevs. As long as the animal isn't simply killed and left to rot and its death serves a purpose beyond ego gratification (like the villagers eating the giraffe and money going toward conservation/preservation of species), I'm not going to throw a fit about somebody else's axidermy fetish -- i.e. I don't like it, but it doesn't ruin my day, either. I only truly hate waste and especially poachers.

:eek:

Yeah, hunters are some of the biggest critics of trophy hunting. It's not like we're talking about a large or much loved group of people here.

It's a bigger group than we'd like to admit, but it's also mixed. Almost all deer hunters would like to get shoot a big 12-point deer, but that doesn't mean they want to shoot a giraffe. There's definitely gray areas.

An aside: today I waterboarded some fish (gastric lavage).

There's definitely gray areas.

Yeah, I definitely have differing lines of judgmentalness myself.

If it's a deer, I don't judge much. I've had a freezer full of venison, and it fed me and 7 other large, hungry, drunk guys for a looong time (venison stir-fry is the best). Hunting deer is practical and something I can respect, even if I think the mounting is kinda weird.

But if it's a bear, I'm gonna raise an eyebrow. I've told the story about my friend and his brothers who were forced by his dad to eat a bear they'd shot. Just the smell of that meat made me sick (super greasy and musky. Like Krawlie's gym socks). I've heard hunters say it can be delicious depending on what the bear eats, the season, if you butcher/prepare properly, etc. but IMO when it comes down to it, I strongly suspect people generally eat bears to justify hunting a big scary animal, rather than hunting them cuz it's tasty and practical. So if I see a stuffed bear in your den, I'm gonna judge it more harshly than a deer.

I have absolutely no context for a giraffe so can't even go there.

An aside: today I waterboarded some fish (gastric lavage).

Did you get the information you needed?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.