What is the deal with all these hot huntresses?

Pong Messiah

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah it dates back to at least Sarah Palin. As if there were never female hunters before. Kinda stupid.

And it's just a fad in coverage, sort of like the fairly recent coverage in 30-40 something women spontaneously buying small camper trailers in recent years and going on road trips to "find themselves."

Do male hunters get death threats, though?

This woman felt after starting hunting in her 20s, that she would have had a better time, especially as a female, fitting in with the community if she had the opportunity to hunt when she was a kid, so she started a program teaching kids outdoors skills and hunting. Seems like a reasonable idea. But while the parents interviewed absolutely love their kids not being in front of a screen all day, she started receiving death threats after word of the program spread beyond the outdoors community.

There was also that model who lost her contract last year when it was revealed (omg scandal) that she was a hunter and there was a collective ****-fit from the bambi-loving crowd.

Would they have received the same vitriol if they were dudes?

Now, true, the CEO from GoDaddy (male) received a ton of flack for going on an elephant hunt, but that was an elephant hunt, and people are going to freak out regardless. It's not exactly the same as teaching people hunting/outdoor/survival skills!

I still can't bring myself to actively hunt. I'm a pretty good shot but because I grew up raising milk goats and being around all kinds of animals like horses, dogs, pigs, calves (which we ate but my mom kindly never told us where Daisy went), peacocks, llamas and other assorted animals I'd rather not know where the food I eat comes from. Something else, I've been boar hunting. That stuff is COLD work waiting for the boars to appear. I'd rather fish. Or go birding.

Do male hunters get death threats, though?

This woman felt after starting hunting in her 20s, that she would have had a better time, especially as a female, fitting in with the community if she had the opportunity to hunt when she was a kid, so she started a program teaching kids outdoors skills and hunting. Seems like a reasonable idea. But while the parents interviewed absolutely love their kids not being in front of a screen all day, she started receiving death threats after word of the program spread beyond the outdoors community.

There was also that model who lost her contract last year when it was revealed (omg scandal) that she was a hunter and there was a collective ****-fit from the bambi-loving crowd.

Would they have received the same vitriol if they were dudes?

Now, true, the CEO from GoDaddy (male) received a ton of flack for going on an elephant hunt, but that was an elephant hunt, and people are going to freak out regardless. It's not exactly the same as teaching people hunting/outdoor/survival skills!

Great post. You know, it's funny how the very people who are always attacking predefined gender roles are the loudest to scream when teh wimminz step out of line with their own narrow, ideological perceptions of what should and should not be "women's issues." I've heard of women in the military receiving similar treatment. And threats, no less, even though they write their own angsty articles on Jezebel about the horrible treatment women who dare speak out on issues receive.

And I still get asked why I hate feminists.

I'm becoming increasingly of the opinion that "Hello, my name is Augusto Pinochet and I'm here to welcome you to the Santiago Stadium" is the right, or maybe only way to deal with social activists, especially the sort that are all about shaming and cajoling people for stepping out of line with what they deem acceptable. It's just going to become necessary.

Yup. Mostly i only do birding in Arizona and parts of Texas like the gulf coast and around Big Bend.

Pink camo is lame. For Christmas my brother bought his daughter a pink camo compound bow.

Wow, small world. I researched rails and sparrows on the Texas Gulf Coast. I've tried to get a few trips to Big Bend, but life happens.

I thought about volunteering for a BBS route south of Houston, but they seemed to have all the help they needed. OK has a few vacant BBS routes (and CBC), so it was more beneficial for me to run a BBS close to home. I have gotten to be more active in the TX Ornithilogical Society than the Ok. Orn. Soc., it blows my mind how many more birders there are in TX.

It's amazing how just about every kid gets a kick out of the outdoors. Kids are so often pressured into having an eye-rolling, everything-is-lame outlook on life, but when I show them a bird in hand it's great to see that facade fall away.

Really? I wonder if that would work on my kid. He's the only other person I know who finds birds and boring as I do. Unless the cats kill one for him. Then he's fascinated. My grandmother can name damn near every species found here. I'm just like, "bird, bird, owl, bird, chicken, bird, bird, bird, duck".

• 1 month later...

Another blonde, skinny, conventionally attractive woman gets death threats after Ricky Gervais tweets about her hunting.

Another example of how is it acceptable and encouraged for women to participate in some male-dominated hobbies or careers, to liberate themselves from gender norms/roles -- well, until all hell breaks lose because they... chose poorly.

:eek:

The people that are so outraged probably contribute no money towards wildlife and habitat conservation/preservation.

Hunters and anglers contributes TONS of COLD, HARD CASH to wildlife. http://www.fws.gov/hunting/whatdo.html

I bet she paid a lot of money to shoot an old giraffe, and that money will probably be funneled back into the park. People get a bad case of feelings and don't see the big picture.

All that said, I have zero desire to shoot charismatic megafauna.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.