The KKK issues a call to arms in Alabama.

Ms. Spam

KKK issues call to arms over Alabama same-sex marriage ruling

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/14/kkk_issues_call_to_arms_over_alabama_same_sex_marriage_ruling_partner/

In a latest attempt to capitalize on political and racial controversy, a Ku Klux Klan faction from Mississippi has initiated a Call to arms in Alabama in response to federal courts ruling that an amendment to the state constitution banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

The post, which appeared on the United Dixie White Knights (UDWK) website and later on Stormfront the largest online white supremacist forum championed Alabama Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore for defying federal courts and called for Klansmen to leave their robes behind and take to the streets in protest.

El Oh El. I don't even. Alabama is so backwards. And yet BMW and Mercedes have manufacturing plants in this state. How do they even take themselves seriously when they call themselves imperial grand wizards?

I lived in the South for many years and for reason I thought the KKK was dead.

Why do we still allow traitors to this country as well as domestic terrorists still hang around to this day? The KKK has no place in society... How are they not traitors to American philosophy of believing in freedom and equality for all?
We live in a free society, brother. "Tolerance" doesn't mean: acceptance of people, speech, and ideas, unless you don't them very much.

Yeah ... Saruman the White

Definately. Saruman of Many Colors wouldn't work here.

We live in a free society, brother. "Tolerance" doesn't mean: acceptance of people, speech, and ideas, unless you don't them very much.[/font]

Provided they stay within the law. The KKK has not always done this. Tolerating unpopular ideas is one thing. Criminal and terrorist actions, quite another.

I think it's a thorny issue you've brought up here.

Freedom is a double edged sword though, if you prosecute them for what they believe, or censor them, you're violating their rights as Americans. categortizing their actions as legal hate crimes was a first great step, upgrading them to treason might be a hard sell.

that said, ideologically, I agree with you.

We live in a free society, brother. "Tolerance" doesn't mean: acceptance of people, speech, and ideas, unless you don't them very much.[/font]

Provided they stay within the law. The KKK has not always done this. Tolerating unpopular ideas is one thing. Criminal and terrorist actions, quite another.

I think it's a thorny issue you've brought up here.

And it's important to note that tolerating != acceptance. It doesn't mean you have to act like you like or even accept a person or an idea. You can even hate something and still tolerate it.

A stupid/evil/annoying person is allowed to say and do whatever they wish within certain legal parameters, just as you are allowed to disagree with and/or speak out against a person you perceive to be stupid/evil/annoying.

Provided they stay within the law. The KKK has not always done this. Tolerating unpopular ideas is one thing. Criminal and terrorist actions, quite another. I think it's a thorny issue you've brought up here.

Thorny, because it has the potential to invoke emotions based on racial tensions? Or thorny, because people (although they have convinced themselves otherwise) are generally only tolerant of other people and ideals they like and agree with? I'm not defending terrorist acts, terrorist threats, nor actions resulting in the fear, injury, or death or a group of people or any people.

The question was: Why do we still allow traitors to this country as well as domestic terrorists to still hang around to this day? The KKK has no place in society... How are they not traitors to American philosophy of believing in freedom and equality for all?

These ideas are dangerous to freedom. I'll explain. This question implies three things. First, that as an American, one is indisputably required to believe in these fundamental principles. Second, that if one does not believe in these principles, then that belief alone (not to mention speaking about it) is tantamount to treason. And third, because of someone's refusal to believe in such a principle, he or she "has no place in society" and should, therefore, be subject to arrest and punishment (e.g. incarceration, deportation, and/or execution).

As Americans, we believe that we are entitled to certain rights: specifically speech (expression), religion, press, assembly, and petition; but that's not to say, "this kind of speech/expression or that." This is because we believe they are not created by man but rather provided by God: ...endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This means you live your life under the liberty to speak as you will in order to pursue your own happiness. Now I don't know how hating blacks, hispanics, Jews, catholics, homosexuals, democrats, Thursdays, cats, dark-haired dogs, chocolate, foreign cars, and imported beer does anything at all to assist anyone in living a hap-hap-happy life, but someone in this world seems to think so. Be that as it may, and as much as we may dislike it, it is everyone's God-given right in our country to hate anyone and everyone they choose.

Now I don't like these people either. I certainly do not approve of their mission statement nor anything they have to say, and I would agree that, based on the history of the organization, it does qualify to be labelled a terrorist organization. However, they only qualify to be labelled as such in response to actions they have taken in the past. They've gone as far as to hurt and kill people. This label is not, and should not, be a response to their ideals nor their willingness to speak about them. So long as a group of Klan members isn't actively terrorizing someone, then they must be allowed to speak as they wish, and we must tolerate their freedom to do so. Some people who live in America don't like America or have a very serious problem with it, but there is a major difference between an American not liking America and an American advocating for, or taking part in, action against the nation. One is treason. One is no more than a personal belief. The above question implies that thoughts counter to American laws and principles alone should be illegal, or it could at least be interpreted in such a way. It's probably beneficial to us for these people and their ideas to exist if for no other reason than to provide a living example of what evil and stupidity actually looks like. So now we can explain to the children of America what an idiot is and be able to provide an example.

Now as far as the government is concerned, as an entity it must adhere to the principles discussed above, and anyone who works for the government must also adhere to these ideals. And that's because the government is based upon these principles and, therefore, beholden to them as is everyone who is employed by it. But a private citizen is not necessarily required to agree to or hold valuable an idea.

Yes, it is ironic that a political philosophy of which the central thesis is liberty and equality, and on which our entire society and frame of government is based, protects speech and ideals to the contrary. However, it has to be that way, and the framers understood that. The very concept is meant to protect thought, including the dichotomy of thinking that is both in line with and contrary to the ideal of America itself. The moment we forget this is the moment freedom dies. The original question is meant to argue that people who belong to the KKK (and other hate groups) should be limited in speech and thought. In response some may think, "Well, that's fine. We don't like those dumb 'ol rednecks who hate black people anyway." And therein lies the problem; because today it's them regarding their dislike of black people, but twenty years from now it's you regarding something you don't like. And then, all of a sudden, it's a big problem.

A decent argument PMJ. My interpretation is based on the fact that all confederate soldiers "should" have been charged with treason at the end of the Civil War. Lucky for them Andrew Johnson decided to parden them all which was a mistake in my opinion.

Then after 1877 when federal troops left the south we see the rise of the KKK who used terrorism and the same radical thoughts that classified confederate soldiers as traitors.

Sure the klan today is tame compared to 50 years ago but I will never consider them patriots or Americans for they go against everything America should stand for.

By no means do you have to consider them patriots or champions of freedom or good people in any way. You just have to accept that they are the way they are and support their right to think and express themselves as they see fit, so long as they aren't harming people, terrorizing people, and/or leaning on someone else's ability to exercise their own freedoms. Those who truly believe in the ideal that is America will defend the freedom of thought, regardless of how vile it may be.

Regarding the Confederates, I think Johnson granting full pardon following the war was a good move. Lincoln, the master politician he was, was planning to do the same. His Reconstruction plan was much more forgiving and inclusive than that which the Radical Republicans imposed on the South.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.