Raspberry Pi 2

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not really a Linux user, but for $35 for the new Raspberry Pi 2, I'm awfully tempted. Not to mention when Windows 10 comes out, its apparently going to be a free download.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

I'm personally considering it for digital signage for a museum I volunteer at so that they can loop mp4 videos on some low end Visio TVs, without the need of clunky looking DVD players. I am thinking this would be a clean install and cheap.

So has anyone mucked around with a Raspberry Pi? What are your thoughts?

I have the first one and it's been interesting to play with. My understanding of Linux isn't very strong so I haven't been able to do a lot with it, however. (My intentions often exceed my skill.)

Running Windows 10 is a HUGE plus for me. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have the first one and it's been interesting to play with. My understanding of Linux isn't very strong so I haven't been able to do a lot with it, however. (My intentions often exceed my skill.)

Running Windows 10 is a HUGE plus for me. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah I am the same way with Linux. I have better things to do with my time than sit around and compile kernals and code drivers just to do the simplest of tasks. I had a brief time where I tinkered with various flavors of GUI Linux, namely the numerous versions of Ubuntu, but lost interest because I already had a windows and mac, as well. It was interesting, but redundant.

But yeah, having Windows 10 is a huge plus. And being compact and cheap, I am sure I find some use for it. I can see a day where these are integrated into smart tvs, relatively soon, too. I like the idea of being able to run things of a micro sd card.

I haven't heard about windows 10 yet. I did have like a ton of updates for windows 7 this week

If you have a half way decent and relatively new laptop or desktop that's worth hanging on to, and you have a legit copy of Windows 7 or newer, it seems you will be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free. It will be bringing back start menu, so it will have the good features of both windows 7 & 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

I have an Ubuntu media server running Plex right now, I should actually check the specs on it to see if this would be an improvement. I think it might be.

• 2 months later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Follow up (I had forgotten about this thread):

So I picked up this version with this case from Element14. I also picked up this charger and cable from monoprice.

I already had a SanDisk 16GB microSD card.

I used Noobs to install Raspian and played around with it a bit, but the primary reason was for a device to play a looping video in an exhibit at a museum I do some volunteer work at. Like most museums, money is always tight, and I was looking for an inexpensive solution, which RBP is. I did check out OSMC, but it isn't very keyboard and mouse friendly, and seems designed more for a remote. Plus, I didn't find the interface all that intuitive.

So, I installed OpenELEC to play the .mp4 files, instead, which I found to be a lot more intuitive and worked better with a standard keyboard and mouse. I am very impressed with both the snappiness of the RBP 2, and OpenELEC does everything needed for the exhibit. Plays the video nice and smooth 24/7 off a USB flash drive, and no overheating issues at all.

All in all, very much worth the less than $55.00 I spent

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.