Best Music Biopics

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

I suppose this could go in the Movies forum just as easily, but since music biopics often feature the music of the artists they are telling the story of, I think it should go here. Anyway, what are your favorite music biopics, and why? Here's some of mine:

Immortal Beloved: Maybe not exactly historically accurate, from a strictly historical stand point and gets a little carried away (and fictionalized) as a love story, but I think this is a pretty good movie, and captures the essence of Beethoven. I really believed Gary Oldman AS Beethoven in this.

Elvis (1979): One of the first, if not THE first biopic of Elvis Presley, but it certainly is the best. Kurt Russell is awesome in his own right as an actor, and I think he really nailed it as Elvis in this one. I am not an uber Elvis fan, but I really think his story is an interesting one.

Nowhere Boy: I am not a huge Beatles fan, and really find Paul McCartney a lot more likeable than John Lennon (I always thought Lennon was kind of on the douchey side, as a person), and Aaron Taylor-Johnson looks absolutely NOTHING like the real John that we came to know as a Beatle (but he DOES look like John Lennon as a Quarryman, oddly enough...it will make sense at the very end of the movie), but this was a great movie, and one you wouldn't expect: It really doesn't focus on John Lennon as a Beatle, but rather his teen years, 1955ish-60, and his "other" band, the Quarrymen. A very unconventional movie, that really bucks the trend of telling us the story about the legend, and tells us the story about the early days of the man. You will seriously think they just made this sh*t up.

The Doors: This movie might be showing its age a little now, but I think it was one of Val Kilmer's best roles ever. I really bought him AS Jim Morrison.

Ray: Just a great movie about Ray Charles, that doesn't try to sugar coat his life...shows his triumphs and tragedies, warts and all. Prior to the movie, I really only knew Jamie Foxx as a comedian, and he really surprised me in this film as a pretty damned good actor.

Walk the Line: I know right after his death in 2003, everyone and their brother faddishly glommed onto the Johnny Cash train, but this was a good film and I think a good portrayal of not just Johnny Cash, but of June Carter Cash, as well. Both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, along with Robert Patrick really did this movie right.

What's Love Got To Do With It?: Angela Basset really nails it as Tina Turner in this one. For me at least, I didn't realize how much tragedy Tina Turner had to overcome in her life, nor the immense assh0le Ike Turner was, and I gained a whole load of respect for Tina Turner (and Angela Basset as an actress) after this move.

Sid and Nancy: While it is highly sympathetic to Sid Vicious and glosses over A LOT by portraying him as some lost man child rather than the junkie assh0le he really was, this movie really demonstrates how great an actor Gary Oldman is, and how he literally just transforms into any given character. Aside from the fact it is rare you see someone play a punk rocker and then go on to portray one of the greatest composers of all time, this is just a pretty damned good movie, and had a good story to tell. The irony is Courtney Love was originally considered for the role of Nancy Spungen but later cast as Gretchen in this same film, lived a life eerily like Spungen. The movie itself might not have been a success when it came out, but I think it was a bit ahead of its time and still holds up pretty well.

Closer: The story of Ian Curtis and his ultimately tragic life, and serves as an origin movie for Joy Division. I loved how it was shot in black and white, which really not only made it gritty and artsy, but almost mandatory to capture the feel of the constant bitter melancholy of Curtis' life. I think this is one of the greatest biopics of a musician I have seen.

La Bamba: Who doesn't think of Bob screaming "Richie!" in the final scene when they think of this movie? I think this has got to be my favorite music biopic, and among my favorite movies. Just a sad, tragic end, and for me, it really kicks me in the gut, every time I get to the end of the movie. Just superb music as well, particularly Los Lobos' rendition of the eponymous La Bamba.

Yeah, I was gonna mention Nowhere Boy also. Very heartfelt and well made. I like how it could have basically been about anyone; it doesn't play up some legend or myth of the artist. It doesn't turn his life into a melodrama (too much) and there aren't a bunch of wink wink nudge nudge references, which I appreciated.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I was gonna mention Nowhere Boy also. Very heartfelt and well made. I like how it could have basically been about anyone; it doesn't play up some legend or myth of the artist. It doesn't turn his life into a melodrama (too much) and there aren't a bunch of wink wink nudge nudge references, which I appreciated.

You know that is very dead on, and why I liked the movie so much. I had known of this movie for some time but only recently watched it. The reason I sat on it so long was exactly that: I was afraid of seeing too many Easter eggs or the cheap, ironic statements that allude to the Beatles legend. In fact, if you didn't know who John Lennon was, you almost wouldn't know this movie was about his early life. You would think it was some random unknown singer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.